What's new

JVC HD-ILA vs. Toshiba 52HMX84 DLP vs. Mitsubishi 52-725 DLP (1 Viewer)

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
Hello everyone,

I'm debating getting 1 of the above 3 HD sets for purely VIDEO GAMING and DVD MOVIE watching. I may also hook up my PC to it (which has a DVI-out).

What this means is, I don't care too much about how good HD looks on these sets, I do care how good DVDs look, and how well the stretch works.

I've seen all 3 in different stores. I have yet to see the Toshiba look the best out of all 3 (which saddens me, because I have a Toshiba 57H82 in the living room that I bought fo rmy parents, and it's great for DVDs and absolutely superb for games/stretching). The Mitsubishi's picture seemed "clear" albeit somewhat dark due to the glare shield (I could only see the 525 series, the 725 isn't out yet - it's supposed to have an anti glare shield).

I've seen the JVC DILA at 2 stores. The first store had a crappy star wars DVD feed on it (and only it), and aspect ratio looked wrong on it. THe other store, the JVC was slightly iffy, but looked like it had a slightly better picture than teh rest of the sets MOST of the time.

The first store said they are going to hook up an HD feed to it and a better DVD feed so I can look at it today. I really don't care about the HD feed adn if JVC blows the crap out of the water of everyone else. I want to see a correct DVD feed, and stretch modes (that's what I told him).

Does anyone have any opinions on any of these sets? It's too hard to choose.

Thanks,
ELmO:star:

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
I like the JVC and even bought the 61" all-black, but they are near impossible to find in stock right now.

I bought it on Sept. 6th, and I'm told I will probably have to wait until late October now to get it... :frowning:

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
My local shop has them in stock (I don't trust them so much though).

Anyway, what reasons did you buy it? I don't care about HDTV, and I'm pretty sure the JVC beats the competition for HDTV, but I don't care.

I'm interested in what it can do for DVDs and video games (stretching). My TOshiba 57" is great for both, I want something in my room that's similar with good stretching and excellent DVD quality from 8 feet back...

-ELmO

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
Laggy video game play (specifically non progressive scan games, mostly PS2).

-ELmO

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
It's really hard to say, all 3 are absolutely excellent displays. When you've already chosen some of the best, it really comes down to personal preference.

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
What he said... :)

Just comparing the sets at several stores, I still liked the JVC the best. I'm also worried that I (or someone else who watches at my house) may become susceptible to the "rainbow effect."

Also, the Mits still has more glare on the screen than I would like...

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
Thanks Andrew. I can stand the 525 glare, so I assume I can stand the 725 glare. My room is pretty dark (upstairs) witha blinded window. I haven't seen the rainbow effect on my minimal viewing.

I know the JVC looks best with HD, ask them to put a DVD on everything. I am going to be caring about DVD, I know HD will look splended on any set (so good in fact tha tI don't care about the minimal differences in HD that each set has).

THe problem is, I do seem to think each set has a diffrent PQ for DVDs...

-ELmO:star:

DerekF

Stunt Coordinator
FWIW, I just ordered a Toshiba 62HMX84 after reviewing a product list similar to yours for some similar reasons (Gaming & DVD).

I used to be a hold-out waiting for the Samsung HLP 5674, but between the delays and the fact that they robbed the HLN series parts bin to build the XX74 series, I started to look elsewhere.

My list quickly whittled down to the Sony XS series LCD, the Panasonic DLP and the Toshiba HMX line.

I nixed the LCD after watching numerous DVD scenes/discs exhibiting poor black-level detail on a variety of Sony/non-Sony LCDs. LCD was out.

Choosing between the Panny and Toshiba turned out to be simple: In two different stores, with two different feeds/set-ups, the sets looked identical to me. Adding in some of the bells and whistles the Toshiba offers (like settings memory by input), and looking at the price difference (Tosh was $600 less), and I was sold!

Set should be delivered in a couple of days!

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
Did any of you look at the Hitachi 50VS810 or 60VS810? It looks to be the best of the RP LCD models with respect to black levels...

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
My main reason for avoiding DLP is my constant paranoia that I will begin seeing rainbows eventually. Otherwise, I would probably get either a Mits 725/825 (except for reflections still on 725) or a Toshiba HMX.

DerekF

Stunt Coordinator

The Hitachi fell off my list when I discovered it can only accept two hi-def inputs.

Either 2 HDMI, 2 Component, or 1 of each. Apparently you can't even have them all hooked up simultaneously and hope that the TV recognizes the one that is turned on...

Since I have waaaaaaay more than 2 sources, and don't feel I should have to buy a switcher with a TV this expensive, I decided against purchasing it...

An AVS thread on the topic:

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor

Actually, I thought this as well, but it has since been proven wrong. All 4 inputs will work. The only catch is that if you have something plugged into both the HDMI and both the components, the power of the items must be off that you don't want to use.

Here is a thread where some of that has been clarified:
Another AVS thread

DerekF

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Andrew! I stopped reading the threads when Hitachi support first replied that 4 simultaneous inputs were not possible.

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
Thanks for the help, all.

I have purchased the Toshiba 46HM84 from onecall.com.:star: I have 7-8 feet of viewing dsitance, and I think this will reveal the best DVD/video gaming picture for me.

I am now in search of the best DVD player to hook up to this thing, any suggestions?

-ELmO:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks