What's new

JVC HD-ILA or Samsung DLP? (1 Viewer)

Kevin Potts

Second Unit
I'm going to be picking up a new TV here in the next couple of weeks and have narrowed down my choices to either the 61" 720p JVC or 61" 720p Sammy. I've looked at both and have not experienced any of the negative "effects" associated with either technology and I honestly can't tell much of a difference in picture quality. They're about the same price and I'm currently leaning toward the JVC since Best Buy is offering a free stand with the unit. However, before I pull the trigger I thought I would get some input from those that are much more knowledgeable about the finer points of these two displays.

Thoughts and recommendations are highly appreciated.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Kevin

I suggest you wait another 2-3 weeks till Consumer Reports does its ratings of DLP and LCoS/SXRD sets. Unfortunately, this month they only did LCD and Plasma.

BrianTwig

Second Unit
I have the JVC HD-ILA 52". Love it. The Samsung DLP was my 2nd choice. Though they were both pretty much tied. After months of going back and forth, back and forth, I finally decided to just get it over with and buy one. And if I didn't like it, take it back for the other.

One complaint I have always heard about the JVC (well, LCoS in general) is that its black level is poor compared to other technologies. I don't see how, unless they are determining this with specilized equipment to measure things the eye can't see. The blacks are as black as any black I have ever seen.

Been very happy with the JVC.

There are a couple things I dislike about the TV. I didn't know about them in advance. But if I had, it would have had no bearing on my decision. Such as it takes a good 10 seconds for the picture to appear on the TV after you turn it on and then about a minute for the picture to reach full brightness (bulb warm up time). Big deal. What am I missing?

If you don't need the "free stand", vanns.com has the JVC at excellent prices.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
All microdisplay rptvs have the slow warmup time. I don't care for Samsung DLP sets at all, lots of video noise, motion blur, and pixellation with anything less than a perfect HD signal. IMHO Toshiba and Mitsubishi DLPs are much better but I like the JVC DILA (or LCOS if you use the generic term) better than any dlp set.

BenS

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought the New Mitsubishi Diamond Series 57". I love it I was going in buying the Samsung 87 series but I couldn't pass over the level of detail the Mits brought out. I would recommend this set if you are still looking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks