What's new

JVC HD-ILA LCoS 1080p (difference between sets) (1 Viewer)

BrianTwig

Second Unit
One thing I wonder about with 1080p DLP sets is the "wobulation". Doesn't it stand to reason that this method of what really is imitating 1080p has a good chance of causing the picture to develop a strong "flicker" over time?

Also, this may have been posted above, but I didn't see it, what is the bulp life on the Sammy DLPs?

What other DLP manufacturers should be considered and looked at? Which ones should be avoided?

Thanks!

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
According to Kotches, wobulation is not an issue at the consumer size screen level.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Of course, the argument from the other side is that LCoS has superior "pixel fill", producing a smoother, more film-like image and avoiding the screen-door effect visible with other technologies. And in real-world applications I'd give my JVC HD-ILA slightly higher marks on contrast at 56" than I'd give my nephew's Samsung DLP at 42". (Although both sets have terrific pictures and I don't think you can go wrong with either one. Pick the one that looks best to you with what you watch and don't get too hung up on specs, experts and microscopic differences in test patterns detectable only with specialized equipment. ;))

Regards,

Joe

P.S.

I'm very skeptical about the notion of "inherently superior technology." A really well made, well calibrated LCoS will look better than a cheaply-made no-name DLP. A state-of-the-art LCD panel can beat a bottom-of-the line CRT. And what looks great in a showroom, or a test lab, may not work in your house under your viewing conditions. Buy the result, not the technology. History is full of armies with "superior technologies" getting their butts handed to them by folks making the most of technologies best adapted to the local conditions. ;)

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Joe

I wish you would take this up with Kotches. I'm not in the market now, just trying to provide info from a pretty smart source :)

I might well go with the Sony if I had to choose, but I like to hear different sides of the story. If you want to take it up with Kotches, send me a PM and I will point you in that direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks