What's new

JVC HD-ILA LCoS 1080p (difference between sets) (1 Viewer)

BrianTwig

Second Unit
Stores are currently getting the JVC model XXFH97 (56,61,70)

But there are some places you can still snag a XXFH96. JVC no longer has the 96 versions on their web site and I am having a hell of a time trying to find out what the difference is between the 96 and 97 models. The 97 models are significantly more expensive.

Anyone know?

Also, is 56 inches to big of a TV from 13 foot seating distance? This will be mostly used for everyday TV viewing with the occasional movie. Maybe 1 a week. 2 max.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Hi Brian

I will link you later to a post by one of most experienced AV reviewers/owner/poster in existance. He explains why LCoS cannot match the sharpness and contrast of DLP.

This came as a surprise to me, as I thought the Sony SXRD was the cats' meow.

You made the stretch to the NSD/2, before you jump on LCoS, you might want to see what the DLPs can do.

Oh, I use 65 inch from 12 feet. Love it.

BrianTwig

Second Unit
Arthur,

I look forward to your coming link.

Any specific DLPs I should give strong consideration to? Why?

I am an idiot when it comes to this stuff. I know nothing. I literally mean, nothing!

I am not sure I even need 1080p, or why I would want it. I also suspect that I will have to invest in a new DVD player to take advantage of the new TV and its abilities when I finally get around to getting one. But I have no idea which ones to consider or what they even do. I just know that I will not be getting a Blu Ray or HD DVD player. Would an upconverting player do the trick? Which ones?

I am totally lost with this whole process. And it just gets more confusing every day.

And with a DLP, should I get one of the new LED based ones? But then the price jumps a lot!

BrianTwig

Second Unit
Arthur,

I went and read that thread but nothing really stood out to me nor did John really say much of anything other than "test patterns". Maybe I just missed it. Who knows. I don't know much about this stuff. Looking forward to your recommendations.

Also, this here head to head faceoff went to LCoS.
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/art...rticle_id=1335

Reliable source? Again, I know nothing.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Brian

In a nutshell, what John Kotches said was, "If you like the look of a really soft picture, and a lack of (ANSI) contrast, then yes, SXRD is indeed better."

As to recommendations. This week Circuit City has the top rated 50 inch Panasonic plasms for

BrianTwig

Second Unit
Thanks Arthur. $2,900 is way beyond my budget. I am trying to stick around $2,000 but can stretch if forced to $2,500 with some WAF resistence, but nothing to serious. I also don't need a Plasma as wall mounting is not required for my setup, and would actually probably detract from it a little bit because of the TV stand that all my AV gear is in will not be going away. So I would have a big TV stand under a wall mounted TV. Would likely look funny and detract from the TV regardless of how good it looked. Plus the wall it would be on has an odd shape to it and a closet door and centering the TV on it would put it out of position by a little and putting it where it would be best viewed would add to the 'odd' look of it. But with an RP it get a bit more freedom in placement and the stand looks natural.

I think what I am going to end up doing is putting the SXRD and DLP in a hat, picking one out and buying it. If I decide it is not right, return it for the other.

But then with the Sammy DLPs I get confused on what the difference between models is. I see 3 or 4 56" models with 1080p but for the life of me can't figure out what the difference is between them.

And do I really need 1080p? I will be mostly just watching regular ol' TV and channel surfing most of the time. Hockey season is coming and thus a lot of hockey will be watched. My Canes broadcasts are not in HD if memory serves me right. Movie watching may be one or two a week. But if I get Netflix or Blockbuster that may increase but maybe not.

It is all just too damn confusing!

TicoTVA

Stunt Coordinator
If you want to know if you really need 1080p , here's good broadcasting info:
US Over-The-Air HDTV Networks

ABC - broadcasting 720p
A network leader in HDTV, ABC broadcasts all of their prime time episodic programming in HDTV and DD 5.1 for the sixth consecutive year in the 2006-2007 TV season. This includes Lost, Boston Legal, Desperate Housewives, Grey’s Anatomy, etc. (most reality and news programming not included). In addition, movies on The Wonderful World of Disney, ABC’s Big Picture Show, and special events like The Oscars available are in HDTV. ABC Sports offers the NBA, including The Finals, Saturday Night College Football, Championship Figure Skating, horse racing's The Belmont Stakes, and more in HDTV. ABC HD is available on DirecTV and Dish Network, but not to all subscribers, contact your provider for details. Good Morning America is now available in HDTV, with The View also scheduled for same beginning on September 5th, 2006.
www.abc.com

CBS - broadcasting 1080i
Continuing its role as a network HDTV leader for the eighth consecutive year in 2006-2007, CBS broadcasts all of its prime time episodic programming, including CSI, The New Adventures of Old Christine, Ghost Whisperer, etc., in HDTV and DD 5.1. (reality and news programming not included). In addition, The Young And The Restless daytime drama, as well as theatrical and original made for TV movies, special events like The Grammys are all broadcast in HDTV. The network HD sports leader, CBS Sports offers the US Open Tennis Championship, NCAA Men's Basketball Championship and regular season games, SEC College Football, The Masters, and The NFL On CBS, including NFC Playoffs, all in HDTV. CBS HDTV is available on Dish Network and DirecTV, but not to all subscribers, contact your provider for details. After primetime, CBS offers The Late Show with David Letterman in HDTV. CBS & Comcast will team up to offer select programs in HD VOD. CBS will offer the PGA Golf Championship in HDTV through 2011. NEWS FLASH: The fall classic of tennis, The US Open, will again be in HDTV on CBS. http://www.sportsline.com/cbssports/story/9617844
www.cbs.com

FOX - broadcasting 720p
For the third consecutive year, FOX offers a majority of their prime time programming in HDTV and DD 5.1 for the 2006-2007 TV season, including regularly scheduled programs 24, American Idol, House, etc. FOX Sports offers HDTV for NASCAR, MLB Playoffs, The World Series, NFL On FOX, including up to 6 regular season games each week in HDTV, the NFC playoffs, and NCAA college football Bowl Championship Series games. FOX HD is available on DirecTV and Dish Network, but not to all subscribers, contact your provider for details. Some FOX programming, like MLB Game of The Week, Fox News Sunday, COPS, and Nanny 911 are broadcast in Fox Widescreen format (16:9, 480i upconverted to 720p), which looks very good, but is not native HDTV.
fox.com/home.htm

NBC - broadcasting 1080i
In their fifth consecutive year of prime time HDTV, NBC broadcasts all new episodic programs and miniseries in HDTV and DD 5.1 for the 2006-2007 TV season. Current programs in HDTV include My Name Is Earl, Law & Order, ER, etc. NBC HD is available on DirecTV and Dish Network, but not to all subscribers, contact your provider for details. Special events in HD include Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade and Christmas at Rockefeller Center. In HDTV sports, NBC offers horse racing's The Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes, Notre Dame college football, NHL, Summer / Winter Olympics, NASCAR, professional tennis, and beginning this fall Sunday Night Football, and more. The after primetime HD leader, NBC offers The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, Late Night w/ Conan O’Brien, and Saturday Night Live, all in HDTV. The 2006 Ryder Cup will be in HD on NBC. NEWS FLASH: Today will be available in HDTV, scheduled to begin September 13, 2006.
www.nbc.com

PBS HD - broadcasting 1080i
PBS broadcasts new programs and documentaries every month in HDTV, many with DD 5.1. In addition they also offer upconverted widescreen programs. HDTV programs include Smart Travels with Rudy Maxa, Tracks Ahead, American Family, Chefs A'Field, SoundStage, and select episodes of Nature, The American Experience, Nova and many other PBS programs.
Send your local PBS station donations earmarked for their DTV broadcasts.
www.pbs.org/digitaltv

The WB – broadcasting 1080i
The WB again offers primetime HDTV for the fourth consecutive year in 2005-2006, including Twins, Everwood, Reba, Smallville, and Gilmore Girls in HDTV. Tribune Broadcasting has also offered the annual Tournament of Roses Parade on WB stations. The WB will offer DD 5.1 for select HD programming.
www.thewb.com

UPN - broadcasting 1080i
UPN, in collaboration with its corporate sibling CBS, is now offering its third year of primetime HDTV in 2005-2006. 10 programs will be available in HDTV, including Veronica Mars, Everybody Hates Chris, Girlfriends, Love Inc., and Eve.
www.upn.com

Coming Soon:
The CW - broadcasting 1080i
The new network will offer the best of The WB and UPN, including Veronica Mars, One Tree Hill, Smallville, Everybody Hates Chris, and Girlfriends, beginning September 18, 2006.
http://www.cwtv.com/

My Network TV - broadcasting 720p
Breaking new ground in US network TV, MNTV will offer the globally popular telenovelas style programming, beginning on September 5, 2006. Desire: Table for Three, and Secret Obsessions: Fashion House will be the debut programs.
http://www.mynetworktv.com/

Daily program listings for HDTV / DBS / Cable:
www.titantv.com

Daily sports listings in HDTV:
www.hdsportsguide.com

Local HDTV stations are available in your area:
www.titantv.com
www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.asp

AVS Listing of Local Stations broadcasting in HDTV:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show...threadid=422073

US DBS, Cable, Fiber HDTV Programming

Cinemax HD - broadcasting 1080i
Home Box Office is transmitting HDTV feeds of its 24 hour premium television service, Cinemax. Expect to see over 75% of it's content in HDTV. Recent features include The War of the Worlds (2005), Serenity, and Sex Games: Cancun. Now available on Cablevision and Comcast. NEWS FLASH: All 6 Star Wars films will be on Cinemax HD, beginning November 2006.
www.cinemax.com/

Discovery HD Theater - broadcasting 1080i
Discovery HD Theater offers diverse program types including nature, science, technology and more. HD production fever has recently spread to the series side; TLC’s Trading Spaces, Discovery's Monster Garage, Surprise By Design, and American Chopper are being produced in HD. Currently, Discovery HD Theater is available on Dish Network, DirecTV, and many cable systems including Charter, Cox and Comcast. Also soon to be available from Canadian HDTV providers.
dhd.discovery.com

E! - broadcasting 1080i
E! offers extensive HD coverage of live entertainment events. E! has expanded pre and post event HD coverage for the 2005 Golden Globes, Academy Awards, Screen Actors Guild Awards and Grammy Awards. Available exclusively on INHD.
www.eonline.com

ESPN HD - broadcasting 720p
ESPN HD offers hundreds of live sporting events each year broadcast in HDTV, including NFL, MLB, NBA, college sports, and more. ESPN HD is currently available from DirecTV, Dish Network, and most cableco's offering HDTV. The latest schedule includes MLB, SportsCenter, Baseball Tonight, Little League World Series, and Monday Night Football preseason.
ESPN HD Schedule

ESPN2 HD - broadcasting 720p
The Deuce in HD offered over 100 live events in its first year, with more to come in 2006. ESPN2 HD is now available on DirecTV, Dish Network, Comcast, and select cable systems. Current programming includes MLB, professional tennis, and NHRA Drag Racing.
ESPN2 HD Schedule

Food Network HD - broadcasting 1080i
Programming in HDTV from Food Network, including Good Eats, Barefoot Contessa, Everyday Italian, and more. Available on select WOW systems and Buckeye Cable. NEWS FLASH: Now available on Dish Network.
http://foodtv.com/food/hdtv/0,2857,FOOD_26756,00.html

HBO HD – broadcasting 1080i
Hit movies and unique programming is available in HDTV on Home Box Office. A high percentage of the movies on HBO are in HDTV and DD 5.1. The rest are upconverted; 4:3 480i to 4:3 1080i. Recent features include Kingdom Of Heaven, Shark Tale, and Must Love Dogs. One caveat for their theatrical release films; HBO prefers to fill the entire 16:9 screen area with image, as opposed to doing OAR film transfers. HBO Original Films are shown in HDTV and DD 5.1, including recent features Elizabeth I, Walkout, and Mrs. Harris. Original series programming Deadwood, Rome, The Sopranos, and Big Love are also in HDTV and 5.1 DD. HBO HDTV is available from Dish Network, DirecTV, and most cableco's offering HDTV. HBO is now offering World Championship Boxing in HDTV.
www.hbo.com

HBO HD PPV - broadcasting 1080i
HBO/TKO PPV fights are available in HDTV. Call your provider for availability.
http://www.hbo.com/boxing/

HDNet - broadcasting 1080i
Created by Mark Cuban, owner of the Dallas Mavericks, and Philip Garvin, founder and owner of Colorado Studios, HDNet is the first North American full time HDTV network. 24 hours a day of sports, concerts, movies, news and specialty programming is available in HDTV with DD 5.1 on HDNet. Current unique programs include Get Out!, True Music, HDNet World Report, Face 2 Face with Roy Firestone, and from now until 2011, exclusive HD coverage of live NASA launches. Popular series include Arrested Development, Star Trek Enterprise, and Dead Like Me. In HD sports, HDNet offers NCAA college sports, NASCAR Grand National Series, NHL, Professional Boxing, World Extreme Cagefighting and MLS. HDNet is currently available on DirecTV, Dish Network, select TWC, Insight, Charter, Mediacom, Blue Ridge, RCN and other cable systems. The Canadian government (CRTC) has recently approved carriage, date TBD. NEWS FLASH: Dan Rather will anchor "Dan Rather Presents" on HDNet, debuting October 2006.
www.hd.net

HDNet Movies – broadcasting 1080i
HDNet Movies delivers full-length feature films converted from 35mm to high-definition, featuring a mix of theatrical releases, made-for-TV movies, independent films and shorts, with 50% of the movies available in HD of the first time. To the delight of cinema fans, most are screened in original aspect ratio, all unedited and commercial free. Currently available on DirecTV, Dish Network, and select TWC, Insight, Charter, Blue Ridge, RCN and other cable systems. Recent features include Lost in Translation, 2001: A Space Odyssey, and The Time Machine (1960). HDNet Movies has premiered a number of films on the same day as the theatrical release, including 2006 Oscar nominee 'Enron: The Smartest Guys In the Room', and Academy Award-winning director Steven Soderbergh's 'BUBBLE'.
www.hd.net

HGTV HD - broadcasting 1080i
Including programming in HDTV from four Scripps cable/sat channels; HGTV, Food Network, DYI, and Fine Living. By the end of the year, some 450 hours of HD programming will be in the HGTV HD library. The first show to air will be World's Most Extreme Homes. Other programming includes Generation Renovation, Landscape Smart, Rezoned and Small Space, Big Style, Wandering Golfer and Any Given Latitude. Available on Dish Network.
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/press_rele...4673169,00.html

iN Demand – broadcasting 1080i
The popular cable PPV provider will offer HDTV Video On Demand (VOD) Movies. All titles will also offer DD 5.1 surround sound. Comcast, TWC and Bright House carry iN Demand HDTV VOD. Other potential carriers include Cox and Charter. in Demand will offer select NHL Center Ice games in HDTV.
http://www.indemand.com/about/news/...3_high_defi.jsp

INHD & INHD2 – broadcasting 1080i
iN Demand provides two full time 24/7 HDTV channels, INHD & INHD2. They offer movies, pro and college sports, special events and general interest programming, all in HDTV. Currently, INHD offers 3 MLB games each week in HDTV. E! Live From The Red Carpet is an exclusive INHD event. In a unique approach, INHD2 will also be used to carry local pro sports nets in HD. INHD & CSTV team up to offer a wide variety of NCAA college sports in HDTV. INHD airs Outdoor Life NHL HD games, along with NBA TV HD games. Current unique programming includes Mojo, a hip look at modern culture, every Wednesday and Sunday nights. INHD & INHD2 are available to both cable & DBS providers, with current carriage on Comcast, TWC, Bright House, Cox, and Cablevision among others. NEWS FLASH: INHD2 is currently in the process of being scaled back, but will still be available to providers.
www.INHD.com

MHD - broadcasting 1080i
A new HDTV channel from Viacom, featuring programming from MTV: Music Television, VH1 and Country Music Television. Regular shows will include MTV Unplugged, VH1 Storytellers, CMT Crossroads and the MTV Video Music Awards. The network will also air concerts and original programming shot in HD. Mitsubishi has signed on as the charter sponsor. Availaible in select markets on Cox, Verizon, and Comcast.
http://www.mhd.tv/

The Movie Channel HD - broadcasting 1080i
Showtime Networks launched its second HDTV channel, The Movie Channel HD. The company is transmitting an East Coast feed of the all movie service with the original widescreen aspect ratio to preserve theatrical presentation. Recent features include Slam, Mean Girls, and Suspect Zero. TMN HD is expected to offer 75% of their primetime schedule in HD and Dolby Digital 5.1. TMC HD is exclusively available from Cablevision at the present time.
www.sho.com/site/tmc/index.do?&network=TMC

National Geographic HD - broadcasting 720p
HD version of the popular cable channel. Programming includes Naked Science, MegaStructures, Seconds From Disaster and Explorer. Available on Verizon and Dish Network.
http://channel.nationalgeographic.c...l/hd/index.html

NBA HDTV - broadcasting 1080i
NBA TV offers regular season games, and select playoff games in HDTV. Currently available on Comcast, TWC, Bright House, Cox, Cablevision, INHD, DirecTV and Dish Network.
http://www.nba.com/schedules/nation...e/NBATVHighDef/

NFL Network HD – broadcasting 1080i
The NFL Network will go 24/7 this fall and will have an exclusive 8 game regular season HDTV schedule, in addition to a number of HD preseason games. 'Playbook: HD Game of the Week'; is an hour review of a key game from the previous week. Available during the NFL season on DirecTV, Dish Network, and Comcast (INHD). Full time HD version available this fall on Dish Network, Verizon, and AT&T; other carriers expected.
nfl.com/nflnetwork

NFL Sunday Ticket w/ SuperFan on DirecTV – broadcasting 1080i & 720p
DirecTV has signed a long-term contract with the NFL for the ST package, and HDTV is a big part of the deal. DirecTV offers 'up to 100' NFL ST games in HDTV, based on HD games from FOX Sports (up to 6 games per week) & CBS Sports (3 games per week). 2006 SuperFan prices are being discounted. DirecTV has confirmed that once again, locally available games (HD & SD) will not be available on NFL ST.
www.nfl.com/ticket

The Outdoor Channel 2 HD
The Outdoor Channel 2 HD, a 24/7 hi-def service, launched July 2005. TOC is "aggressively producing" its own content in HD. It also is acquiring HD programming in the hunting, fishing, rodeo, shooting and motor sports (and related) genres. Available on select cable systems at this time.
http://outdoorchannel.com/index2.cfm?ss=206&site=2

Outdoor Life Network - broadcasting 1080i
OLN offers regular season, playoff, and two Stanley Cup NHL games in HDTV. "....in a crisper, faster-moving, more exciting game for hockey fans every week...." Available on cable systems including Comcast, and DBS providers DirecTV and Dish Network. A 24/7 HD version is also part of the plan, date TBD. NEWS FLASH: On September 25, OLN will change names to become Versus; 'Whether it is Man vs. Man, Man vs. Beast or Team vs. Team, Versus will celebrate sports at its best, where athletes and sportsmen compete at their highest levels with the greatest passion.'
www.olntv.com

Showtime HD – broadcasting 1080i
Showtime HD is currently available on Dish Network, DirecTV, and most cableco's offering HDTV. Many of the blockbuster movies on Showtime are broadcast in HDTV and DD 5.1, although less of the full schedule is in HDTV. Recent features include Team America: World Police, A Love Song for Bobby Long, and The Longest Yard (2005). Original programming and some theatrical movies are upconverted to an HDTV-like picture, which can look very good. In addition, most all Showtime movies (HDTV & upconverts) are in original aspect ratio (OAR), which is generally considered the ‘right’ way to do an HDTV film transfer. Showtime offers live Championship Boxing in HDTV. Showtime announced they will offer most of their new original movies & series in HDTV, including Weeds, The L Word, and Fat Actress.
www.sho.com

Starz! HD – broadcasting 1080i
Starz Encore Group has launched an HD feed of Starz! Both East and West Coast feeds of Starz! in HDTV will be available to providers, and are available at no additional charge to existing subscribers. Recent features include White Chicks, Ladder 49, and National Treasure. Starz! HD is currently available on Comcast, Cablevision, Dish Network, and WOW.
www.starz.com/se/starz/hdtv.html

TNT HD - broadcasting 1080i
A new production studio in Atlanta powers the first Turner HDTV channel. Sports programming includes NBA regular season and conference finals, PGA Championship, and NASCAR, all in HDTV. A number of original TNT dramatic productions are in HD, including The Closer and Into The West. Although not all programming is HD (some is stretched and upconverted), native HD for theatrical movies and TV series like Lord of the Rings: Fellowship and Law & Order is more becoming more common. Available at this time on most cable systems including Comcast, TWC, Bright House, Cablevision, and DBS providers Dish Network and DirecTV.
www.tnt.tv/

Universal HD – broadcasting 1080i
Universal HD offers the best of NBC Universal's media empire in HD. Programming includes unedited and uninterrupted films, award winning dramas, specials and performance arts, including series Surface, Battlestar Galactica, and Monk. Among HD sports highlights are The Masters, US Open Tennis, Summer / Winter Olympics, and new this year is the 2006 Ryder Cup. Universal HD is currently available from cable providers including Cox, Insight, GCI, Mediacom, Patriot Media, Blue Ridge, Service Electric, Cablevision, and DBS providers Dish Network and DirecTV. UHD is also carried by cable providers Comcast and TWC, in select areas. NEWS FLASH: The US Tennis Open will again be available in HD on UniHD. http://nbcumv.com/universalhd/relea...lhdseptemb.html
www.universalhd.com/

USA Network – broadcasting 1080i
In it's fifth year of HDTV programming, USA offers the first two days of The Masters golf tournament in HDTV, and HD coverage of the US Open Tennis Championships. USA HD events are available on corporate sibling Universal HD.
www.usanetwork.com

Voom - broadcasting 1080i
Offering a suite of 15 unique HDTV channels, from classic films, to gaming, to news, to travel, to animation, to fashion, Voom offers something for almost everyone interested in viewing HDTV. Available exclusively on Dish Network at this time.
http://www.voom.com/

Wealth TV
Wealth TV is a lifestyles and entertainment network designed to provide a behind the scenes look into how the wealthy achieved, live, and enjoy their success. With internal production studios, WealthTV has produced numerous original and exclusive series including The Best Of…, Wealth on Health, Giving Back, and The Boomer Show. WealthTV has also premiered The Mysteries of the Louvre, which was prominently featured in the hit film The Da Vinci Code. Available at this time on C-Band, and cable systems including Charter, Verizon, Insight, Armstrong, WOW, US Cable, Champion Broadband, Patriot Media, Cavalier, etc.
www.wealthtv.net

If these stations are not available to you, contact your multichannel provider and request they carry them.

US DBS, Cable, Fiber HDTV Providers

Armstrong
http://cable.agoc.com/

Atlantic
http://www.atlanticbb.com/

AT&T
Uverse.att.com

Bresnan
http://www.bresnan.com/

Brighthouse
http://www.mybrighthouse.com/

CableOne
http://www.cableone.net/

Cablevision
http://www.cablevision.com/

Charter
http://www.chartercom.com/

Comcast
http://www.comcast.com/

Cox
http://www.cox.com/

DirecTV - broadcasting 1080i & 720p
DirecTV offers an HDTV package including Universal HD, HDNet, HDNet Movies, Discovery HD Theater, ESPN HD, ESPN2 HD, and TNT HD. In addition they carry HBO HD, Showtime HD, and full time Pay-Per-View HDTV movies. Live sports are available in HDTV, including The NFL Network's 'HD Game Of The Week' and NBA HD, and OLN NHL games. CD USA is a DirecTV exclusive, featuring the latest in music. DirecTV announced new satellites that will provide over 1500 local HD channels, fully operational by the end of 2007. Also see the NFL Sunday Ticket section. DirecTV offers select MLB Extra Innings, NHL Center Ice and NBA League Pass games in HDTV. Local HD channel rollout (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC), including local sports nets (see Local section below), is now taking place; MPEG4 equipment required.
www.directv.com

Dish Network - broadcasting 1080i & 720p
Dish Network offers a wide variety of HDTV, including TNT HD, Universal HD, HDNet, HDNet Movies, Discovery HD Theater, ESPN HD, ESPN2 HD, HBO HD, Showtime HD, an HDTV demo channel and a HDTV Pay-Per-View movie channel, with selections 24/7. In sports, Dish offers OLN NHL, NBA HD, MLB Extra Innings, NHL Center Ice and NBA League Pass games in HDTV. Dish Network exclusively offers 10 unique Voom HD channels with gen-x sports, classic movies, cartoons, world travel, fashion, news, and more. NEWS FLASH: Dish has added 5 additional Voom channels, Starz! HD, National Geographic HD, HGTV HD, The NFL Network, and local HD (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC) in a number of cities with more to come; MPEG4 equipment required. NEWS FLASH: Food HD is now live on Dish Network. INHD still being uplinked, probably soon to be available to subscribers.
www.dishnetwork.com

Insight
http://www.insight-com.com/

Mediacom
http://www.mediacomcc.com/

RCN
http://www.rcn.com/

Service Electric
http://www.sectv.com/

Suddenlink
http://www.suddenlink.com/

Time Warner Cable
http://www.timewarnercable.com/

Verizon
http://www.verizonfios.com/

WOW
http://www1.wowway.com/

Coming Soon To A Cable, DBS Or Fiber Provider Near You:

A&E HD - broadcasting 1080i
A&E will officially launch the HD channel Labor Day Weekend 2006 with a CSI: Miami marathon. AETN executive vice president of distribution David Zagin said that at launch, 65% of A&E's primetime schedule will available in “true” HD, including new original shows like King of Cars, as well as fresh episodes of returning series Cold Case Files, The First 48, Driving Force, Inked, Dallas SWAT and in 2007, The Sopranos. By 2008, 85% to 90% of its primetime schedule will be HD. Unlike many HD networks, Zagin said that programming on the channel will either be true HD or offer a widescreen format to eliminate the black bars that appear on the screen for shows that aren't presented in the format. Available in preview mode on select Cox systems, and Shaw in Canada.

The History Channel HD - broadcasting 1080i
Expect to see the HD version early 2007 or late 2007, according to AETN executive vice president of distribution David Zagin.

Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy
KingWorld's popular, long running syndicated game shows will be available in HDTV, September 2006.

Seinfeld
Sony Pictures syndicated sit-com will be made available in HD, as all 180 episodes are in the process of being transferred, not that there's anything wrong with that....

Sleuth HD - broadcasting 1080i
A new 24-hour cable network from NBC Universal will offer an HD simulcast channel in 2006, date TBD. Sleuth will draw upon NBC/U's library of programming, including shows such as Miami Vice, The A-Team and Knight Rider and movies like Scarface and Casino. HD VOD is also on the schedule, date TBD.

Howard Stern on iN Demand - broadcasting 1080i
Howard Stern has entered into an agreement with iN DEMAND Networks, to provide a new TV home for the popular radio pioneer in a subscription-only format, available in HDTV. Premiering on cable in 2006, date TBD.

Penthouse HDTV
Phillip Swann of www.tvpredictions.com reports that Penthouse Media Group, the publisher of Penthouse Magazine, said it's launching "multiple" TV networks in High-Definition TV. The company also said it was hiring former Playboy TV President Jim English to oversee the TV operations.

FOX HD - broadcasting 720p
The best of FOX TV, including 24, Buffy the Vampire Slayer and The X-Files; Fox Television Studios (Malcolm in the Middle, The Shield); and 20th Century Fox Film Corp. (Mr. & Mrs. Smith, Star Wars: Episode III -- Revenge of the Sith). Fox HD may also simulcast NASCAR on FX and run programming from Speed Channel, Fuel and other Fox-owned networks. Available in 2006
www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=567507

ESPN HD VOD - broadcasting 720p
In addition to ESPN HD, the HDTV sports provider will also offer Video On Demand of some of their more popular HD programs. Look for ESPN HD VOD on your local cable system.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show...&postid=3008513

NBC Cable Networks – broadcasting 1080i
NBC Cable president David Zaslav was quoted by CableWorld as saying "we're looking at all of our properties, (including) Telemundo and mun2." for HDTV.

Hallmark HD
The Hallmark Channel is in negotiations with cable and satellite systems to deliver a Hallmark HD channel. Hallmark has signed an agreement with iN Demand to provide HDTV Programming for their INHD channel. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show...threadid=268153
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/t...efinition_x.htm

The Tennis Channel
The Tennis Channel is supplying programming to INHD. Federation Cup matches between the US and Italy, and the US Clay Court Men's Championships have been in HDTV.

TCM HD - broadcasting 1080i
At one time listed on the TCM web site as 'coming soon', no recent information is available.

29HDNetwork
With a laser-like focus, the upcoming HD channel is targeted at 29 year olds that have an HDTV.
www.movieline.com/features/29hd.shtml

Gol TV
The Hispanic soccer channel available on select Comcast systems, plans to deliver HDTV Spanish-language programming.
http://archive.avsforum.com/avs-vb/...threadid=381338

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
*Shrug*

I don't watch test patterns. I watch TV and movies. John K complely ignored the documented weaknesses of DLP including visible pixel structure and the rainbow effect. I'm not going to substitute his technical expertise and selective facts for the evidence of my own eyes. Of all the current display technologies in the 56" size range (all of which have both pluses and minuses) I think LCoS has almost all the strengths of the others, few or none of their weaknesses, and probably represents that best bang for the buck in most cases. That was my conclusion last year when I bought my JVC HD-ILA and I haven't seen anything recently that has changed my mind.

Regards,

Joe

videobruce

Stunt Coordinator
Contrast is debateable, but the part about "sharpness" isn't. Ever since TI cheapened the DMD chip with that 'wobblation" cost cutting scheme, even the 1080 isn't 'sharp' anymore compared to the HD2 chip.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i would be happy if a store in my area actually carried the jvc bigger then the 56" so i could compare it to the sony sxrd and the mits XX732 and XX831.

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
I was almost ready to pull the trigger when I stumbled across this thread and the comment by John Kotches. Further sleuthing led me to the following site.

Display Mate ran a shootout of five units, one a JVC consumer version.

"The JVC Consumer unit was a different story. When I fed the unit native mode 1280×720 black and white test patterns I saw moiré interference patterns (in both the vertical and horizontal directions), which is generally an indication of scaling artifacts. When I switched from black and white to colored test patterns the images broke up severely. For example, non-horizontal colored lines were reproduced as dashed lines with segments alternating between color and gray. Colored text was unreadable. Any fine detail content in red and blue was missing half of the pixels. Periodic pure green fine detail produced what appeared to be a full-spectrum of on-screen colors. I finally realized that the unit was converting the 4:4:4 DVI RGB into 4:2:2 YCbCr and then reconverting it back to RGB. There was no appropriate filtering so colored content drawn in even pixel columns was correctly reproduced but content drawn in the odd pixel columns was reproduced as gray (with its Luma value). If an odd pixel was surrounded by colored even pixels it would get an interpolated value of their color. Periodic full resolution vertical black and white lines were reproduced as solid gray, indicating significant low pass filtering, which softens the images. However, there was also a significant amount of edge enhancement to give the feeling of a sharp image. These are very severe artifacts. I gave the unit a D. The visual picture quality from ordinary video was surprisingly good given the above discussion, so there was a significant amount of visual tweaking built-in to the unit’s engineering. We’ll discuss this further below. Hopefully the new generation of JVC Consumer units will take a different approach and correct these problems."

Please refer to the site below for the complete shoot-out.

http://www.displaymate.com/LCoS_ShootOut_Part_C.htm

videobruce

Stunt Coordinator
That's a older test with a older set. While good within the limits of the sets tested, it really shouldn't be used with todays technology. The difference of one year can make a difference.

Besides, testing a $40k professional monitor along consumer sets really isn't fair.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Bruce

You obviously understand some of the inherent weakness of SXRD technology compared to DLP. According to Kotches, the lack of contrast and sharpness are "due to the inability to isolate each pixel from its neighbor, otherwise known as pixel bleed. This limits (ANSI) contrast and sharpness".

Of course, some people don't care about such things, and that is fine with me.

videobruce

Stunt Coordinator
Actually it would be LCoS vs DLP, but I think your statement is turned around. There are more weaknesses of DLP. Namely, the color wheel (except for the new LED driven sets).

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member

Bruce

LCoS and SXRD are mere variations on the same theme. And what I quoted John Kotches states that DLP has inherently less contrast and sharpness than LCoS/SXRD due to pixel bleed.

You may disagree. I am merely repeating what someone with about 20 years experience, who does equipment reviews, and knows way more than most about A/V has to say about the 2 technologies. I don't know anything about pixel bleed, however, apparently he does :)

BrianTwig

Second Unit
Arthur,

"And what I quoted John Kotches states that DLP has inherently less contrast and sharpness than LCoS/SXRD due to pixel bleed."

Above you were saying DLP has more than LCoS. Which is it?

All this technology is just too damn confusing.

I really think I am going to put my top 3 picks in a hat, pull one out and go buy it. If I don't like it, move onto the next one.

videobruce

Stunt Coordinator
I wasn't disagreeing with him, just that you reversed the terms which made the reverse true.

A single chip is cheaper and there is no convergence issues, but's that's it as far as advantages (AFAIK). I still don't understand why LCoS can do it with three and DMD can't (economically). All of this doesn't mean LCoS is without problems unfortunately. :frowning:

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Bruce/Brian

I see the error now. Yup, Kotches is saying LCoS is the one that has less contrast and sharpness than DLP due to pixel bleed. Sorry about any confusion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks