JVC DVD players and the picture modes

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sean Patrick, May 3, 2002.

1. Sean Patrick

Sean Patrick Supporting Actor

i'm trying to figure out exactly what the "cinema" mode is doing to the picture...it looks better to me, but i tend to think i should just be using the default setting. Cinema has "sharpness" turned up all the way. in progressive mode it doesn't seem to let me change it away from Cinema mode. What am i doing wrong?

2. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

YEAH THATS A PRETTY GOOD QUESTION.. JUST WHICH ONE IS BETTER??

3. Andrew_Ballew

Andrew_Ballew Second Unit

You can change it to different settings during progressive mode. Use whatever looks best to you, I believe cinema mode just raises the gamma a couple of notches. Make sure that if you start fooling with the adjustable users modes sharpness stays all the way up- or else you will lose a great deal of detail with these players.

Cheers

Andrew B.

4. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Sean,

If you press the up/down cursor buttons while the picture mode display is up, it will show you what the individual parameter (brightness, contrast, etc) presets are. These can't be changed in standard and cinema, but can in user 1 and user 2 by pressing the sideways cursor buttons.

Cinema differs from standard in that the brightness and contrast are down 1 click and gamma is up a couple of clicks from the standard mode defaults.

Contrary to conventional wisdom regarding sharpness controls in general, the JVC gives the best picture with this item maxed out.