JVC DVD Audio Players?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnnyN, Sep 20, 2001.

1. JohnnyN

JohnnyN Stunt Coordinator

I've seen some JVC DVD Audio Players for pretty cheap...
    specifically
    JVC XV-SA75GD DVD Video/Audio Player $249.99
    JVC- XVD723 DVD Audio, CD and Video CD player $299.99
    and I'm wondering if these players are worth it for a quick and cheap entry into dvd-audio.
    I mean if nothing else... they play MP3 CD-R's which I've been meaning to add to my system... They even have Progressive scan...
    so there has to be a catch right? JVC isn't the greatest name in home audio, but how bad can these units be? Someday I plan to buy a combi SACD/DVD-A player with progressive scan to function as one of the centerpieces of my playback system... but at these prices I can afford to listen now...
    Has anybody here played with either of these units? any opinions?

2. Don Beverly

Don Beverly Extra

I have the 723 and paid a lot more than you're quoting and have been very happy with it, just be aware the dvd-audio has no base control and you must have a dedicated 6 channel analog on your receiver for best result playing the dvd-audio disks.
    The picture quality on my HD 55" set is very clean with this player and for the price you're able to get it, it's a true bargain.

3. rin

rin Stunt Coordinator

I got my 723 on Ubid(refurb) for $250 and have been very happy with it. I had a Toshiba 5109 which was a pretty good progressive player but it had the chroma bug. The JVC does not have this problem and the DVD-A capability is a plus.
    I have a few DVD-A titles and have been impressed with this player's performance in this area as well as the picture quality in progressive mode.
    You might want to look at the new JVC changers as well.
    Just my two cents.
    rin
    ------------------
    My Home Theater

4. Steve Lambrecht

I have the JVC 723 and have been very happy with it. Paid $330 for it about 6 months ago. I use the component out to a Sony 10HT projector. With progressive scan the image is very nice. I don't have any DVD-A yet, except the sampler that came with the unit, which by the way sounds fantastic.
    Steve

5. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    I have the XV-FA95GD seven disc dvd chnger/dvd-audio progressive scan player from JVC and I love it. I was never a big JVC fan but this unit is nice. The picture is excellent on my 56" panasonic 16:9 tv. The dvd audio is excellent also. Before that I tried the Panasonic RP91 and it sounded awesome but the picture was very dissapointing to me. I tried 2 different units and all the tips and tweaks I found on this forum and others but the rp91 just didn't cut it picturewise. The JVC looked great right out of the box as soon as i turned on the progressive scan. I am happy i took the rp91 back because I got this player for $100 less and it is a 7 disc changer to boot.

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Johnny,
    Although I don't like JVC's DVD-Audio players from the standpoint of build quality (poor, in my opinion) or JVC's track record as far as reliability of its DVD players historically, you really have no other options for $300. Panasonic cancelled production of the DVD-RP61, which was supposed to be a progressive-scan DVD-Audio player for $300. I would like to see Pioneer jump in with a budget DVD-Audio player. I'm sure they would make a very solid machine that could bascially be the DV-343 with DVD-Audio capability. Unfortunatetly, the only DVD-Audio player Pioneer offers at present is the $1500 Elite DV-38A. [​IMG]
    So, if you can only spend $300, try a JVC unit. Obviously, other members here are enjoying them. Crutchfield makes no mention of bass management capability for DVD-Audio with the new seven-disc changer. I know the XV-D723GD lacks bass management. If it is true that the changer does not offer bass management, then I would get the 'D723GD. Although I am not enamored with the build quality of the 'D723GD, I feel it is better than that of the seven-disc changer. The carousel on the new changer is very "plasticky" and just doesn't appear solid to me. Also note that the new changer is a very deep unit, so make sure you have space for it if you do purchase it.
    My personal feeling is that you ought to consider saving some money to get the Panasonic DVD-RP91. Mail-order dealers sell it for around $500. Although I haven't listened to it, I feel it is built better than the JVC units. Regarding the audio quality, I have Technics DVD-A10 DVD-Audio player, which was the predecessor to the 'RP91, and the 'A10 is a very good component. I would expect the 'RP91 to follow the mold of the 'A10, but the proof is in the pudding. Give the 'RP91 a look and listen if you can.
    The Technics 'A10 was discontinued a few months ago, but if you can find one, it's a real steal now. Dealers had been blowing it out for $350. The build quality and audio performance are far better than what you would expect for $350. The remote is also very well designed. That's my opinion, of course. Note that the 'A10 is not a progressive-scan player, however. You didn't say if that was a mandatory feature or not.
    Steve,
    Welcome to the Forum.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime
    [Edited last by KeithH on September 20, 2001 at 04:29 PM]
    [Edited last by KeithH on September 20, 2001 at 09:10 PM]

7. John E F

John E F Stunt Coordinator

You might want to look at the JVC XA-SA70BK. It is a single disc progressive scan / DVD-Audio player. It seems to be exactly the same as the 723GD except it is slimmer, black, and lacks the video output switch on the back (it has been integrated into one the buttons). It also lacks bass management. I picked one up at a local B&M for less than $260.00 brand new. I have heard it can be found online for around $249.00. I couldn't find it listed on the JVC website though. While it's not built any better than the average dvd player, it seems as if they threw DVD-Audio into a pretty decent progressive scan player.

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

It is disappointing that JVC did not incorporate bass management into its second-generation DVD-Audio players given all the bad press the first-generation players from all manufacturers received in this regard (including the infamous David Ranada article in Sound & Vision). Some of the more expensive second-generation units do offer bass management for DVD-Audio (Denon, for example), but bass management shouldn't be such a premium feature. Maybe they'll get it right with the third-generation budget players. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    My:

9. John E F

I agree totally, especially since Sony can include it on their budget SACD player. I haven't found bass management to be a big problem with DVD-Audio discs that utilize the subwoofer on the surroundtrack, but it is a HUGE problem with stereo. Keith, do you think that splitting the front channel outputs between the 5.1 inputs and the stereo analog inputs would work? The receiver would need to have a direct mode or tone defeat, but wouldn't the receivers bass management work? Do you think the sound quality would suffer at all from the y-cables or signal loss? I'd love to hear your thoughts as I am considering giving it a try (with quality y-cables of course).

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

John, with most receivers, bass management (small/large, yes/no, crossover frequency) can only be applied to the digital inputs for the processing of incoming Dolby Digital and DTS bitstreams from DVDs. The only exception that I know of is certain Denon receivers that allow bass management to be applied to the 5.1-channel inputs. Also note that most if not all receivers knock out the subwoofer when an analog bypass mode is applied.
    As for Y-adapters, I haven't used them yet, but my personal feeling is that well-made adapters that make a good connection should not lead to sound degradation. When I get a multi-channel SACD player, I will get Y-adapters to split the 5.1-channel inputs with my DVD-Audio player. I'll probably get Monster brand Y-adapters. The other day, I saw a demo pair of Y-adapters at a high-end dealer for $90. I didn't catch the brand since there was no packaging, but I'd hate to buy six of those. That would cost $540, which is more than my DVD-Audio player cost (Technics DVD-A10, $380) and nearly as much as the multi-channel SACD player I want is selling for (Sony SCD-C222ES, $575 by mail). [​IMG] Besides, the cables I'd be running to the Y-adapters probably won't be that expensive combined! Heck, my Sony ES receiver (STR-V444ES) was only $640.
    ------------------
    My:

11. John E F

That is exactly how I have the SACD Player and the DVD-Audio player running into the 5.1 inputs on my Denon 1802. I don't notice any degradation in sound quality, but the signals aren't being spilt either. I might experiment a little this weekend. The Denon has a tone defeat setting that might work. I will let you know if the receiver's bass management features apply to any of the stereo analog inputs.
    [Edited last by John E F on September 21, 2001 at 08:08 AM]

12. Dre J

Dre J Stunt Coordinator

Keith,

13. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Dre, now that you mention it, I believe I can apply bass management to stereo sources with my Sony STR-V444ES in the same way you do with your Denon. The 'V444ES also allows you to dial in the crossover frequency in 10-Hz increments. I no longer use the 'V444ES for stereo sources (well, I use it for VHS), so the bass management feature slipped my mind a bit. I use the 'V444ES for surround-sound duty and an integrated amp for stereo music sources.
    ------------------
    My: