What's new

Hardware Review JVC DLA-X30 Procision Series D-ILA Projector Review (1 Viewer)

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
[SIZE= 15px]JVC’s DLA-X30 projector, using D-ILA technology, is the company’s entry-level model in their Procision series, with an MSRP of $3499.95. That may be a bit steep compared to entry-level projectors from Optoma and Epson, but what JVC considers entry-level is very different from its competitors.[/SIZE]

e9b717a0_DLA-X30_av.jpeg

JVC DLA-X30 Procision Series D-ILA Projector

[SIZE= 15px]Specifications[/SIZE]
[SIZE= 15px]Display Technology: 3-chip 0.7-inch 1920x1080 D-ILA devices[/SIZE]
[SIZE= 15px]Native Resolution: 1080p (1920x1080) 2D/3D[/SIZE]
[SIZE= 15px]Brightness: 1300 Lumens[/SIZE]
[SIZE= 15px]Contrast Ratio: 50,000:1 (Native)[/SIZE]
[SIZE= 15px]Throw Ratio: 1.4 to 2.8:1 (Distance/Width)[/SIZE]
[SIZE= 15px]Note: Specifications are provided by the manufacturer and were not tested in this review for accuracy.[/SIZE]
[SIZE= 15px]Demo material used for this review:[/SIZE]
[SIZE= 15px]Digital Video Essentials Blu-ray[/SIZE]
[SIZE= 15px]DTS 2011 Demonstration Blu-ray Disc[/SIZE]
[SIZE= 15px]Puss In Boots 3D Blu-ray Combo Pack[/SIZE]
[SIZE= 15px]TRON: Legacy 3D Blu-ray Combo Pack[/SIZE]
[SIZE= 15px]The Adventures of Tintin 3D Blu-ray Combo Pack[/SIZE]
[SIZE= 15px]Blade Runner: Final Cut Blu-ray[/SIZE]
[SIZE= 15px]Myth Or Fact: The Talbert Terror Blu-ray[/SIZE]
[SIZE= 15px]After reviewing Optoma’s [/SIZE]http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/314580/optoma-hd33-3d-capable-1080p-dlp-projector-review
[SIZE= 15px]JVC was gracious to include, for this review, the optional PK-EM1 3D synchro emitter (MSRP: $97.99) and two pairs of PK-AG2-B rechargeable 3D glasses (MSRP: $219.99 each). The emitter was connected to the back of the projector, and the glasses were charged overnight, connected via USB to my cable HD-DVR. One drawback to the included emitter is that it uses infrared to transmit its synch signals to the glasses, meaning that the emitter needs to be placed in an area that has a line of sight with the glasses. One of the things I really liked about the Optoma projectors was the option of using either an RF emitter in conjunction with RF glasses, or simply use DLP-Link compatible glasses. JVC’s PK-AG2-B glasses are rechargeable, and I was able to view several 3D movies without ever having to recharge them. However, I did find the glasses a bit heavy having to wear them over my prescription glasses, with extra pressure on the bridge of my nose regardless of how I had the adjustable nose bridge support set.[/SIZE]

e4ab3669_PK-EG2_01.jpeg

[SIZE= 15px]There are 6 Picture Mode presets available: Film, Cinema (based on the DCI standard), Animation, Natural (which adds minimal frame interpolation JVC refers to as Clear Motion), Stage (which adds much stronger frame interpolation), and 3D (which increases brightness and contrast as well as setting the lamp to its highest brightness setting to help compensate for the 3D glasses). There are also 5 custom user modes. I popped in my Digital Video Essentials Blu-ray disc and settled on Cinema mode as the preferred preset for 2D viewing, and 3D as the preferred preset for 3D. Black levels are deep while still maintaining bright whites without clipping or crushing. However, this will vary based on the room’s ambient light.[/SIZE]
[SIZE= 15px]Watching the opening sequence to [/SIZE][SIZE= 15px]Blade Runner: Final Cut[/SIZE][SIZE= 15px] was breathtaking, with deep blacks, vivid colors, and exceptional detail. However, watching several shows in HD from my cable company, Cox, revealed many motion and compression artifacts that were not as noticeable on my 56” DLP rear projection. And watching my short, [/SIZE][SIZE= 15px]Myth Or Fact: The Talbert Terror[/SIZE][SIZE= 15px], on a 73” screen from a 1080p Blu-ray disc I had authored, revealed some of the limitations in the HD camcorder used in the production. But that is to be expected, since the average home viewer has a 46” or smaller television.[/SIZE]
[SIZE= 15px]Now it was time to throw some 3D titles at the projector. First up was Steven Spielberg’s Golden Globe-winning animated feature, [/SIZE][SIZE= 15px]The Adventures of Tintin[/SIZE][SIZE= 15px]. With the picture mode set for 3D, movement was lifelike, colors appeared natural, and I saw no crosstalk or ghosting issues to speak of. Next up was [/SIZE][SIZE= 15px]TRON: Legacy[/SIZE][SIZE= 15px], which appeared much more colorful and sharp than I remember on the Optoma HD33. Again, I saw no crosstalk or ghosting issues to speak of. That is, until I watched [/SIZE][SIZE= 15px]Puss In Boots[/SIZE][SIZE= 15px]. I do not recall any ghosting issues when I saw this in the theater in 3D, but there were a few instances where the edges of Humpty Dumpty’s shell seemed to overlap. Since the issue was isolated to this film only, I have to chalk this up to an authoring issue on the Blu-ray, and not with the projector.[/SIZE]
[SIZE= 15px]JVC has included a 2D to 3D conversion feature on this projector, and all I can say is users should proceed with caution. Yes, the conversion does add some depth, but all I saw when viewing 2D material in this mode was the same 2D image appearing slightly behind the plane of the screen, and after several minutes, found myself with a headache.[/SIZE]
[SIZE= 15px]Overall, this is a fairly quiet projector, especially in 2D mode with the lamp set on Normal. Obviously, there will be increased fan noise when projecting in 3D mode (the lamp is automatically set to High). Also, light leakage is at a minimum, thanks to a well-designed chassis. Another plus is having remote control IR sensors on the front and rear of the projector.[/SIZE]
[SIZE= 15px]JVC’s entry-level DLA-X30 projector, using D-ILA technology, is a solid performer, offering outstanding 2D high-definition video and spectacular 3D high-definition video (from 3D Blu-ray sources). For those willing to roll up their sleeves, there are a lot of settings to tweak, but I found the presets to be more than adequate for most users. This is a projector well-worth seeking out.[/SIZE]

tshea

Auditioning
Real Name
Terry Shea
Hi, all. I handle PR for JVC here in the U.S. Thanks for the review. Just one note -- the signal from the emitter can be bounced off the screen, so you don't need to have a line of sight with the glasses.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Kevin-

Black levels and overall contrast on this projector were far superior to the Optoma HD33. Since I normally view movies on a RPTV, the screen I use for projector reviews is a pull-down Da-Lite that usually leaves me with a white border on the top and bottom of the screening area.

While watching TRON: Legacy, the black bars during the 2.4:1 sequences were not at all noticeable, nor were they noticeable during Puss In Boots and Blade Runner (both 2.4:1 films). In other words, you could not tell where the unmasked top and bottom portions of the screen ended and the projected image began. This was not the case with the Optoma HD33, and especially the GT750.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Hmmm
At roughly 90 inches from the front wall, I was able to project a screen up to 73” measured diagonally with the powered zoom lens.
Throw Ratio: 1.4 to 2.8:1 (Distance/Width)
Maybe I don't understand throw ratios as well as I thought I did. Shouldn't 90/73 be a 1.23 ratio and be outside of spec? Does it focus correctly?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks