What's new

jvc d-vhs (1 Viewer)

Neil Graves

Auditioning
will the new jvc d-vhs player be compatible with my Zenith HDTV. i looked at the back of the d-vhs and it doesn't look like it requires any special connectors. before i buy one, want to be sure i will be able to play and record with the player. any input greatly appreciated
Neil from Maine

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Yes, under the current rules, you can record high-def material onto the JVC 30000. Now, if the industry moves to digital outputs on the settop boxes and in the tuners of intergrated HDTVs, then all bets are off.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
To record in high-def on the JVC, you need a source that has IEEE1394 (aka Firewire) outputs to feed it. Something like the new Samsung SIR-T165 STB, OTA HD only. The JVC has no HDTV tuner of its own to record from.

Jack, this digital output is necessary for the JVC to record; we WANT the industry to move toward this. (But need specifically IEEE1394/5c output; DVI/HDCP-only boxes are worthless for recording.)

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Jack,
It's my understanding, and I could be wrong, that the JVC will only record HD from it's firewire input, and won't record HD from DirecTV due to the fact that no DirecTV reciever has a compatible output.

There are a few threads over at AVS about the availability of a hack for the RCA stb that will allow recording off DirecTV but only with a great deal of difficulty.

To the best of my knowledge it will only work with some Dish boxes and the first generation Panasonic OTA only box.

I do know that it won't record from any of the STBs that only have component outputs for HD, which is the vast majority of DirecTV boxes now in existence.

This makes it useless to the vast majority of HD users for recording HD material, though it will still record ntsc.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Guys, you are correct and that is was what I meant to say. Second day with the flu. Woozy. And I feel embarrassed as well as achy and stuffy and in pain. Serves me right! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks