What's new

JVC D-Series (1 Viewer)

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
This is an old thread!

Update: I bought an Hitachi 32UDX10S last October and have been enjoying it ever since. I ran it side-by-side with the JVC for a week. I was concerned about the digital set's PQ with analog cable. Turns out the PQ on the Hitachi was much better than the JVC... as were DVDs!

So for ~$1200, I am a happy camper.

Jason Caudill

Stunt Coordinator
Chris,

the sonys you mentioned do not upconvert to 480p, they use DRC and go to 960i (i think). This gives the image a softer edge than I care for. I would put the Toshiba sets that upconvert to 540p ahead of the sonys, but thats just personal preference. Jason

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm. I don't think they do that, but you might be right. I thought since they pass DVD's at the native 480p that they can upscale cable to 480p to. It seems logical to take signals like cable, which is a natural to line-double, literally from 480i to 480p and do just that. Otherwise, more scaling artifacts come into play. If Sony does upconvert 480i to a higher resolution, then they don't do too bad a job, compared to many.
I tried the squeeze last night on my TV and was glad I got into that service menu . No what I found out? Doh. My TV was not calibrate properly for the simplest of things, such as, horizontal size. I shrunk the size and kept shrinking it and I couldn't believe how much image I was missing! Never mind DVD's! I'm talking NTSC cable! I must have been lossing 10 pixels or so per side! I couldn't believe it. I adjusted it a little bit and low and behold, after comparing the original setting with my new alignment, I was missing a sizable part of the picture. OK, it wasn't a HUGE amount, but I mean, still!
I did the anamorphic squeeze for DVD's and it worked ok. I have a question though.
Are there any other alignment adjustments that have to be tweaked when doing the squeeze? I thought I noticed some pincusion or trapazoid distortion at the top of the picture. I didn't spend alot of time verifying, and I will look again with, say the AVIA or another DVD. I have to use that because I couldn't tell how exact the alignment in the corners was before cause I never focussed on that, but I imagine it might be a bit off or i wouldn't be questioning it.
So do most people just change the two settings? Or do you custom tweak other settings for the squeeze.
Thanks for the info :)

Dan V

Stunt Coordinator
I have a AV-32230, I tried the anamorphic squeeze and after much research and trial, these are the settings that worked best for me -,#64 VS COR change from 009 to 014, #65 V LIN, change from 007 to 001, #66 V SIZE, change form 054 to 034, #76 SIDEPIN, change from 032 to 016, and #86 V BLK UP, change from 00 to 001. DVD's have nevr looked better.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I don't notice THAT much difference. I guess my interlaced player ain't so bad at downconverting. It is better I guess. I find it interesting though, how much picture was cut off due to my set having the vertical and horizontal settings wrong for standard 4:3 TV, VHS and dvd etc!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks