What's new

JVC D-Series (1 Viewer)

StevenMez

Auditioning
I am considering purchasing a JVC D-series 32" TV (models 32D502 or 32D302). However, I can't seem to find any differences between the D-series TV's and the regular 32" TV's (models 32260 and 32230) besides better speakers and more inputs. Is there any difference in the picture quality between the D-series and regular TV's? Model 32D502 does have 800 lines of resolution in comparison to 700 lines on all the other models but does this make that much of a difference on picture quality? Additionally, will all the models I mentioned allow for the Anamorphic Squeeze that is easily implemented on other JVC television? Thanks in advance for the help.

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Steve, besides a side by side comparison of features, it's impossible to say what may be better internally in the set (i.e. better parts used by JVC). Looking at the features at the JVC site, the D series set has better speakers and comes with the BBE enhanced audio feature. In addition it has 2 Svideo inputs whereas the 260 has one. The D series set weighs about 35 pounds more...some people equate weight with quality in tvs :) And the 800 lines of horizontal resolution means JVC is claiming that the D series will resolve 100 more pixels per scan line on the screen. Claims of horizontal resolution by manufacturers are hard to distill down to real practical facts, but one can probably guess from this that the D series has something that is a little better.
The squeeze trick has to be done through the service menu as far as I know.
cheers,
--tom

DavidY

Supporting Actor
Tom,
The squeeze trick has to be done through the service menu as far as I know.
I've read conflicting reports about this on the x02 model. I do know for sure that my 32D201 does the "squeeze". FWIW, I don't like the grey colour of the x02 models.
Dave

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
Hey.. I'd like to know about this too.
I bought a 32260 from Sam's Club a week or so ago.. and really like the picture. But I'm getting ready to take it back and replace it with a Panasonic 32hx41 so I can use the progressive scan DVD player I have coming (Panny RP91).
Are you guys saying the D models do the squeeze? Is it possible the 32260 does too?
I only paid $500 for it after a $50 rebate coupon.
wink.gif

I was told the only difference between the D and the 322x0 series was the side mounted speakers in the D models. But I sorta took that with a grain of salt, and wouldn't be surprised to find there are other significant diffs.
------------------
--RR

DavidY

Supporting Actor
**** IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE PROCEDURE BEFORE ATTEMPTING THE SQUEEZE ****
Here's a procedure to do the anamorphic squeeze on the JVC D-series AV-32D201:
1. To get into the service menu, press [sleep timer] on the remote. When the On Screen Display (OSD) reads sleep timer = 0, immediately press [video status] and [display] simultaneously.
2. Now you are in "service mode", be careful here and remember to mark down ALL parameters, especially VSIZE (parameter #41 on my TV) and VSCR (parameter #42). When you screw up, then you are able to change the settings back to the original. Better safe than sorry.
3. Choose {picture} submenu and change VSIZE to 0 and VSCR to the highest setting...63. Press EXIT several times to get out of the service menu and back into no OSD. If this is done correctly, the two black bars appear at the top and bottom of the screen. The screen is now "squeezed". Be advised that the squeeze is not perfect. FWIW, the squeezed picture on my 32 inch TV is about an inch too tall.
4. Then set your DVD player to display "16x9" and play your anamorphic DVD.
5. To change back, get into service mode by following steps 1 to 3 and change VSIZE and VSCR back to their original settings. If you don't record your settings, you are probably screwed.
CAUTION: **** This procedure can be risky IF you are not careful....PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK....YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED****
Dave
[Edited last by DavidY on July 29, 2001 at 01:31 PM]
[Edited last by DavidY on July 29, 2001 at 01:33 PM]

Kris McLaughlin

Stunt Coordinator
The aforementioned Anamorphic Squeeze is amazing, and it only takes about a minute to do once you've done it a few times.
Screen mattes become necessary with the squeeze, though, as you can see some "video noise" at the top & bottom edges where there should only be black. The mattes cover this up beautifully.
BTW, The main difference between the D-Series and the regular JVC sets are the component inputs. If your DVD player has a component output, as most do now, these make for exceptional clarity and color reproduction.
Also, only the D50x series has the extra S-Video input. The D20x series has only 1 S-Video input, and no PIP.
Hope this helps- E-mail me with any other questions, I'd be happy to help!
------------------
Kris-sig.jpg

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
DavidY,
I see your procedure for the D series. Anyone tried it on the 322x0 series?
And just so I can understand the risks.. do you mean I can damage my set only by not writing down the original settings? Or is there other risk?
Kris:
>>The main difference between the D-Series and the regular JVC sets are the component inputs.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
David or anyone who knows: Can you explain what VSCR means/does? I have a 27" JVC and just set the VSIZE to 0. Seems to work fine but there are some weird scanning problems on the bottom black bars that are a lil annoying.

DavidY

Supporting Actor
Rick,
And just so I can understand the risks.. do you mean I can damage my set only by not writing down the original settings? Or is there other risk?
One possible risk is burn-in if you leave it in squeezed mode all the time....therefore, I only squeeze for DVD viewing and then immediately switch back for 4:3 viewing.
If you don't write down the original settings (these should ideally be post-calibrated via AVIA or Video Essentials) and if you do the squeeze, you cannot change back to your original settings......you would be guessing what they are especially if you change the wrong parameter (basically you are hooped). If you write them down (in particular, VSIZE and VSCR), then you know exactly what to change the 0 and 63 settings, back to, respectively.
Scott,
I am not sure what VSCR is....all I know is that you need to adjust it to it's highest setting of 63 to get the proper squeeze. Otherwise, the screen won't be squeezed as much as it should be (i.e., way too tall). Even when squeezed, the picture is still a bit too tall, a bit more than an inch on my 32 inch TV.
Dave
[Edited last by DavidY on July 29, 2001 at 03:00 PM]

DavidY

Supporting Actor
Scott,
some weird scanning problems on the bottom black bars that are a lil annoying.
They are perfectly normal....
I have been told that thin grey/black bars (often disjointed) at the top and/or bottom are a part of the video which appears only when the picture is squeezed. Initially, there were irritating...but after awhile, I don't even see them anymore. I think that some people use "mattes" to cover these up....but I am not exactly sure.
Dave

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the clarification, David. I have both Avia and VE, but haven't used them yet. My DVD player is supposed to arrive tomorrow. So I don't even know if/how to adjust anthing yet.
I assume that info will be found on Avia/VE.
Thanks.
------------------
--RR

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
DavidY:
I got into the service menu on the 32260 and the screen that pops up (superimposed over the broadcast picture) gives me a number of options.
When I use the arrow keys to select, I can run through 129 parameters with values.
I found V size (#66) but not VSCR. I did find V S Cor (#64).
Is this similar to the D models?
------------------
--RR

DavidY

Supporting Actor
My JVC AV-32D201 has 55 parameters under the Picture submenu....41. V SIZE and 42. V S CR. That's it.
What's the range for V S Cor? The 201's V S CR goes from 0 to 63. If this is the same...I would try it out (remember to mark down it's original value).
Dave
[Edited last by DavidY on July 30, 2001 at 08:35 PM]

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
I don't know the range yet... haven't had time to play. Just got the Panny RP91 DVD player and had to hook it up and try it out.
wink.gif

------------------
--RR

DavidY

Supporting Actor
Rick,
OT, I am curious as to why you bought a Panasonic RP-91, a progressive scan for use with a non-HDTV-ready TV like the JVC. Is your JVC TV just a temporary set?
I've been looking for a new DVD player to replace my aging Toshiba SD2108 DVD player. A Panasonic RP-91 would be very nice, but it would be underutilized with a non-HDTV-ready TV such as the JVC D-series IMO. Correct me if I am wrong about this combo.
Dave
[Edited last by DavidY on July 31, 2001 at 02:09 AM]

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
Yup, temporary in the sense that it was planned to be the cable/vhs TV while a RPTV in another dedicated HT room was the main reason to get the RP91.
However, as the best of plans always seem to change, the RPTV is probably gonna hafta wait for a while longer than I originally planned. That's why I'm thinking to take the JVC back and get a HDTV DV set that can allow for the typical poor signal quality of standard cable... and yet take advantage of the PScan RP91... use it as a bridge set.
I assume something like the Panasonic 32hx41 or new Toshiba 32hfx71 will do a good job on cable/vhs tapes. A 32" set is about as big as I want to wrestle into the armoire.
I found that the more I researched and shopped, the more expensive this HT project became.
wink.gif
So I decided to concentrate on the audio part and bridge the video (especially since the HDTV market is still in so much flux).
Hopefully, by the time I'm ready to jump into a RPTV or FP... or whatever big screen option... the HDTV arena will be a bit more mature... and affordable.
I *do* hear that new Toshiba 57hx81 calling my name, however.
wink.gif

------------------
--RR

Wil_J

Stunt Coordinator
I have the JVC 32D302 I don't have the VSCR either. I have the V S COR and it's range is from 00 to 15.

I tried seting the V Size to 000 and the V S COR to its max (15), and tried it out with Independence Day Five Star Collection. At first I thought it was alright but as I watched, I noticed that the left and right edges of the picture were distorted.

Like this: (----picture----)

The parenthesis (sp?) above represent what the distortion looks like. I don't know if this is normal or not, but I was not able to make it go away by just using the V S COR & V Size settings. Does anybody know of a website or something that will walk you through it, step by step for your particular T.V.?

Stupid question I know, but I thought I'd ask anyway. Hope this helps a little.

Daryl LeBeau

Auditioning
I own a 32D202 and these are service menu changes I make (your mileage may very)
Factory to Squeeze
66. VSIZE 66 to 36
68. VCENTER 51 to 49
76. SIDEPIN 44 to 27
78. TRAPEZ 36 to 32
I also set 86. V BLK UP from 000 to 001 to get rid of the white line at top of screen
check out this site for more info on various JVC models.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I also have a 32" D series JVC but have neglected to do the squeeze yet. Will it make my anamorphic DVD's look much better? I might give it a try. I was given the instructions before but I've been too lazy to squeeze and un-squeeze the frickin TV EVERY time I watch a DVD!
Here is my question:
Can I not fine tune the "squeeze" so that the screen ends up fitting properly? I could put in an anamorphic DVD and set my DVD player to (can't remember what its called) the setting that stretches the picture vertically and just adjust it down, right? Or is it impossible to tell when you have it set perfect?
Thanx for any hints, I'm going to WRITE down my settings and give it a whirl :)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
BTW, Rick, the best TV's with regular cable are:
Pioneer SD533HD
Sony KP51HW40
Sony KP57HW40
As far as I am aware. They upconvert 480i to 480p well and display DVDs in their native 480p also :)
I was thinking of going to an RP HDTV but I'm very seriously thinking about a Panasonic AE100 projector instead. I don't watch huge amounts of TV anyways and ntsc cable looks ok with the AE100 provided you use an iscan. All in all, its competively priced when compared to RP HDTV's to :)
Just some idea's :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks