JVC D series vs. the Toshiba A series

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ThomasL, Jun 11, 2001.

1. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

I know this has been talked about a lot, but I believe I may finally be moving the 27A40 Toshiba I bought for the little family room home theater into the fireplace/living room and getting a 32 inch replacement. It seems I'm thinking either the 32D502 from JVC or the 32A60 from Toshiba since I'm not interested in HDTV readiness for now. I have had two issues with the Toshiba which I suspect will be there with the 32A60. One is the green in the low end of the grayscale, while the other is black level. I have had the 27A40 for 4-5 months, and I'm beginning to really find that it has a very decent color decoder. When I compared this tv with a Sharp tv head to head using the same Toshiba SD-1600 dvd player, I've found that the Toshiba has a nicer picture and more balanced colors. The grayscale issue is fixable in the service menu but the black level has bothered me lately. I was suprised to see that the Sharp tv held it's black level fairly well from black to white while the Toshiba doesn't hold it well at all.
    What are people's thoughts on these tvs and what have been peoples pros/cons experiences with the sets. Does anyone know if the JVC D series suffers from red push or problems with black level?
    thanks,
    --tom

2. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Nobody? [​IMG] Does anyone out there own a Toshiba 32A60 or 32AX60 and what do they think of it? I recall a few people a few months ago mentioning them...I'd be interested to hear what your experiences have been with this tv.
    thanks,
    --tom

3. FredHD

FredHD Stunt Coordinator

I have the 32A50. I think the only difference between the 50 and the 60 is the amount of tuners for PIP. I love the 50. I have it hooked up to a Panny RV 30 and calibrated with Video Essentials. In a dark room with my homemade mattes. It looks fantastic for the price. Obviously I recommend it.
    ------------------
    Have good mosh-pitting!!