JVC D-ILA talk me out of it

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Rick Westfall, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Rick Westfall

Rick Westfall Stunt Coordinator

DLP...rainbow effects

LCD...screendoor

D-ILA...? Someone on this forum please tell me why I shouldn't buy the D-ILA technology. What is it's thorn? I saw the JVC and it looked great, but it must have something wrong with it or everyone would be buying it.

How do you like that for a nice cynical slant...

Rick

2. John Whittle

John Whittle Stunt Coordinator

Well the only thing wrong with the JVC D-ILA is that only JVC, Philips and Sony make sets with that technology (LCOS) right now. The JVC line is expanding and if anything you might wait until the 4th Q when the 1080P sets are introduced (in the least it will probably make the prices on the 720P sets cheaper).

I'm very impressed with the JVC sets as well--I'd also like to hear "what's wrong" since the three chip design and tighter pattern make them look better than the LCD and they have good contrast and color as well.

John

3. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

A nagging issue with the JVC is more limited grayscale calibration controls in the service menu. You cannot get it as accurate as you would like.

Regards

4. TimmyH

TimmyH Auditioning

After reading this thread I got curious about D-ILA (I'll be in the market for a new big screen soon) and did some web surfing and found a Home Theater Magazine review of the JVC HD61Z575 which was very positive but said the black levels (when viewed in a dark room)weren't very black. So that may be the negative factor to this technology.

5. videobruce

videobruce Stunt Coordinator

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

may wanna read the s&v review on the 61" d-ila...

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/art...&page_number=1

i do like the dila picture, but my concern is reliability. from what i understand, they really haven't perfected mass production of lcos yet? also, isn't it intel that has pushed back lcos production like twice already? not sure on that, but i think that's right.

somehow jvc has managed to pull it off, but they're about the only game in town. i wonder how they manage it.

overall, i'm just more "comfortable" with dlp or lcd. they just seem to be more "solid" of a technology. but like i said, the dila picture is undeniably good looking.

7. John Whittle

John Whittle Stunt Coordinator

Remember this was the technology JVC & Hughes developed for the theatre projector to compete with the TI DLP.

They've got several more years in the business of making the dies than the others. I'm not sure Intel's decision was based on sucess but rather a business decision to not get into the "tv business" (it's pretty cut throat as can be seen by the current prices and Intel likes to ride the top of the market at high prices and introduce new faster products at premium prices. Sorta reminds one of the the attempts of National Semiconductor to get into consumer items rather than just make chips and data books and they failed with their watches and cash registers).

Personally I like the fact that there are three chips instead of one with a color wheel because I do see occasional rainbows with my FP DLP machine.

John

8. PeterTHX

PeterTHX Cinematographer

Sony's XBR SXRD sets (50 and 60 inch) will be available any day now. 1080p, based on the Qualia 006 70" TV...called by some the best RP EVER made.

Better blacks, more accurate colors. Easy to set up. Better set of inputs. Better sound. JVC isn't bad but "meh".