1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

JVC D-ILA 52" for $2000 or DLP for $2200?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by JamesOr, Jul 27, 2005.

1. JamesOr

JamesOr Agent

I went up to my local HHgregg today and was torn between the 52" Toshiba DLP, the JVC D-ILA 52"(HD52Z585), and the various LCD projection sets. After reading some posts here about the JVC it sounds like a nice set but I'm a little overwhelmed with information.

I'm a little worried about JVC as I haven't ever owned a JVC tv before and I've heard their service sucks. The JVC was just marked down to $2000. I would assume they have new models coming out in the fall or something.

Can someone give me the skinny on LCD tv's for gaming and SD programming? The Grand Vega and Hitachi LCD's looked very nice although they were a couple hundred more than the JVC and maybe smaller. I really don't have a great deal of knowledge of LCD's.

I have a Hitachi 57" CRT in my basement I love but it's too big to stick in my living room. The new one will go in the living room. I know a few people with DLP's and I like them but I've always liked the color and black level on my CRT better. I'll be playing some games, HD cable, dvd's, etc. Considering all this, should I be going with DLP, LCD, or D-ILA in the $2000-$2400 range?

2. jim.vaccaro

jim.vaccaro Second Unit

Everything I've seen suggests that LCOS (D-ILA) is the best choice. LCOS won't give you the screendoor effect that you can get with LCD, and you won't see the rainbow effect you can get with DLP.

About the only thing against LCOS are its (surprise!) black levels, which though supposedly better than LCD, aren't quite as good as DLP (whose in turn are not as good as CRT).

Watch them and see which you like best.

JVC made decent tube and RP televisions for many years. They weren't the best of the best, but price to performance ratio was always pretty good.

3. Kirk Patrick

Kirk Patrick Stunt Coordinator

those are the 2 standouts to my eyes, either would be a good choice

the jvc seems to have the sharpest picture but there seems to be some issues with this set (fan noise being one thing)

the toshiba seems to have less issues and also puts out a great picture

see a recent "soound and vision" for a nice review of the toshiba 52

good luck

4. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

Personaly I would get the JVC and mot look back. I have seen both side by side and both were calibrated. They both put out a great picture but I would get the JVC before the Tosh. anyday. I actually would get a Samsung DLP, a Sony LCD and a Panny LCD before I got the Tosh. That is not to say the Tosh a bad but there is just sooooo many options out now that you really need to look around to see what is best for you. The big knock I have on the Tosh is that they JUST started doing DLP sets and they have had some issues. Yes I know the D-ILA hasn't exactly been around either but after comparing all of these calibrated set side by side it really is THAT good. This is coming from a guy that has always gone with machines with a good long track record. With all of that said I do not own ANY RP set. I was shopping for an RP set and did the research and was set to buy the JVC. Then I saw my firends FP setup and whished I NEVER DID!!!! Had to go back to the drawing board and saw that FP was the best option for me. Best of luck to you.

5. Kirk Patrick

Kirk Patrick Stunt Coordinator

actually i agree, the dila puts out the nicest picture, very sharp with good colors, but up here in canada the difference is about a 1000 compared to the tosh and i don't like the dila that much!

if they were the same price, i'd take the dila

6. JamesOr

JamesOr Agent

Thanks for all the feedback. I went back up there today to get a final look before buying but I'm going to have to go to a different Hhgregg. They had this very nice $2000 tv on the very end front display, basically in a very brightly lit corner. They had a bunch of pallets stacked in front of it and it wasn't even hooked up to any video sources. I tried to get a guy to hook up the dvd player so I could see what Hellboy looked like on it and apparently the screen was damaged. All we got was a distorted image.

The other Hhgregg store was the one I bought my RPTV at a couple years ago and it's a much nicer store. I think I'll be going with the JVC assuming I can get a look at one in a decent setting in the store. Amazing how a store that specializes in selling high-end tv's can be so inept at setting them up. Hhgregg has some really knowledgable sales people compared to BB and CC but I guess every store is different.

7. patNSH

patNSH Auditioning

I am liking what I see with the JVC too. I plan to wait until fall to get the 1080p version though. It was introduced at CES. I saw it on CNET.

Pat

8. Rick Westfall

Rick Westfall Stunt Coordinator

I was in the Home theater store and watched a Sony LCOS set (at least the sales rep said it was LCOS). anyway, I noticed a blurring effect anytime there was motion on the screen. For example, when a person moved across the screen with a light background, his image appeared to blur behind him. It didn't last long but it enough to be distracting. Is this the LCOS thorn (like LCD and screen door and DLP and rainbows)?

Rick

9. JamesOr

JamesOr Agent

I just got my JVC today. I will post my impressions in a few days. My cable company gave me a box with DVI on it instead of HDMI so I have to switch the box from my other tv. I did watch the Finding Nemo dvd for a bit and it looked really good. My gut reaction is that the quality is noticably better than the 2-yr-old 1-chip DLP's that a couple of my friends have.

I didn't even see any Lcos sets when I was shopping around. Maybe they had some screwy settings on the tv? I've seen some pretty jackass settings on tv's in stores. Usually from customers screwing around, to be fair.

Funny how the landscape has changed in the 2 years since I bought my RPTV CRT. It's all flat panels and DLP's now and the CRT's are all in the corners.

10. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

Sounds great James!! Do yourself a favor if you have a few more bucks kicking around and pick up either Avia or DVE (Digital Video Essentials) calibration disks. They will help in getting that set to really shine. If you want to wait on that than your Nemo DVD has a THX calibration that is decent in helping with Contrast and brightness settings. At any rate, I think you got a wonderful set and one I hope to own if JVC will consider making either a 42 or 46" version. I have a FP for movies.....I want the JVC for normal TV viewing and the VERY ocassional HD programming (We do not really watch TV at all......other than Sox and Pats games of course!!!!!!!).

11. JamesOr

JamesOr Agent

Actually I already have the Avia disc from when I bought my RPTV a couple years ago. I'll dial it up in the next couple days. I need to inhale the new tv smell for a little while first

I'm watching the ESPNHD game right now and it's unbelievable. For $2000 this tv is heads above anything else in that price range

12. Rick Westfall

Rick Westfall Stunt Coordinator

Well...there are no HHGregg's in my area. I guess I need to find somewhere locally to demo it.

Keep us posted.

Rick

13. videobruce

videobruce Stunt Coordinator

No worse than any other.
    Be sure you actually have a service center near you. Call JVC and then call the center itself to confirm before you buy.
    The "new" models are already out. They are the 'G' series with the ATSC/QAM tuner built in. For less than $400 more (even $200 more) you could go with a 52G786.
    I would for the newer series and for any circuit improvements that were made from last years design and this years. No, I don't know of any, but I would be pretty certain there are.

14. John Whittle

John Whittle Stunt Coordinator

Bruce,

Do you know why the 52 and 56 inch sets went to "G" and the 61 inch sets just went up 100 in the model number? There also appears to be a different digital board between the black and silver 61Z786 and 61Z886 -- might be nothing more than paint color if part of the board is exposed but was wondering. All the G and 61 inch sets with the 786 and 886 have a new(er) motion sensing for up conversion and take cable cards.

John

15. John_Graz

John_Graz Stunt Coordinator

HH Gregg has their New Years Sale tomorrow and this model struck my interest. I have not gone to the see this model or any others. I have a 50 in NON-HD TV now and been thinking of making the HD move (very slowly).

Model No: HD52G886
    SRP:
    $2,599.99 Save:
    $611.11
    Our Price: $1,988.88

Is this a good way to go for the mony ? Are there still issues with this type set ?

Does this model have a "screen protector" that reflects and shows GLARE ?

16. John_Graz

John_Graz Stunt Coordinator

While doing more research on this model I found a thread on another Forum JVC D-ILA VERY Short Bulb life

"There appears to be a rash of lamp failures. The "rumor" is that there is a bad batch of lamps on the market. JVC will replace your lamp under warranty so call them to replace."

After reading the entire thread I see JVC seems to be having many issues with "QUALITY" of their products. So, I'll wait till I find a more reliable product if there are any out there.[​IMG]