JVC combo player RV-DV5SL

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by robertLP, Feb 7, 2003.

1. robertLP

robertLP Stunt Coordinator

Anyone seen any reviews for this receiver/DVD player? It supports DVD-Audio and can be bought for around $360 discounted.

I need to upgrade just about everything in my system, but just don't have the funds for the whole 9 yards yet. I'm getting an Axiom 5.1 system for the speakers, and I was thinking of getting this combo player to hold me over for 6-12 months before I could buy a decent receiver & universal DVD player.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Rob

2. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

I don't think you are going to find a receiver and a DVD player with DVD-A support for $360 anywhere else. And as long as it is only temporary, why not? But I do stress temporary. JVCs receiver are not that great to start with, and bundled with the DVD player, it isn't going to sound like much.

I would consider getting a DVD player now for $200-$250. You should be able to find one with DVD-A. Then look for a cheap used 5.1 receiver for $100 that you can scrap later. At least you won't have to get both again. You can probably keep the DVD player, or eventually replace it. But you be stuck with both in one unit.

3. Dennis Gardner

Dennis Gardner Stunt Coordinator

Robert,

I decided to try a RX-DV3SL for a bedroom system and consider it to be a nice unit for a second type system.
    The main reason I went this route was so I could still choose my speakers over the HT in a box units.
    I run JVC's RX-9010 in my main HT and even though JVC rates
    this DV3 at the same power level, I find that the power put out by the DV3 to be a bit lower than the 9010. The DV3 doesn't carry DVD-A so I can't comment on this aspect.
    The wife enjoys the simplicity of the all-in-one ease of use from the DV3 and it gave me great sound for my computer system in that room to boot. The DVDs come out of the unit pretty hot since they are built next to the amp, but haven't owned it long enough to see if this causes issues.

Buy it, then move it to a 2nd site when you can afford to upgrade. It never hurts to have good sound on all TVs.

Dennis

4. robertLP

robertLP Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, I didn't even think about that; I wonder if that's gonna do any long-term damage to the discs?

Moving it to a seconary room after getting an upgrade (like the bedroom) is kinda what I had in mind. Thanks for the info.

Rob

5. James Dailey

James Dailey Auditioning

I've owned one for about 2 months now and have been mostly pleased with it. I have though been having the occassional problems during DVD playback. I'll get bad dropouts and pixelization at times on discs at various points on discs. Sometimes cleaning the discs helps, but not always. At first it was happening mostly on rented DVD's, but it's now happening some on new owned discs.

I am beginning to wonder though about heat. I have my digital cable box sitting on top of it, and that alone kicks out a TON of heat. I read on another board a post about JVC, playback problems and heat effecting the decoding chips.

I'm going to move my cable box though and see if that fixes things up. Has anyone else had similar problems?

Other than the occassional DVD problem, the unit sounds great and produces a great Progressive picture on my 32" Hitachi.

6. Miklsan K

Miklsan K Agent

Interesting thread. I know Sony ES and Onkyo also have integrated DVD/Receivers. Does anyone have any experience with either of those models? They seem like a great solution for the bedroom. Add a decent set of inexpensive speakers and you have a "Home-Theater-In-A-Box Killer".

7. James Dailey

James Dailey Auditioning

My father has an Onkyo, and it sounds wonderful as well. My biggest problem with it is the remote and the way you make changes to sound field settings. What's great about it is that it has 2 Component Video inputs to go along with the output. That way you can hook up a STB and something like an Xbox directly into it. It was close to $800 though. Where the JVC runs around $300 (but doesn't include speakers).