JVC AV-48WP74 ... Just got it Friday.. Need a little help....

Discussion in 'Displays' started by James_Barcus, Aug 17, 2003.

1. James_Barcus

James_Barcus Agent

Wow! Just bought a new JVC HDTV WS AV-48WP74 and just joined the forums here!! What I need is a little help. I've been browsing through the forums here and the answer I'm looking for is probably here somewhere. I've messed with the color, contrast, brightness controls so much I'm about to explode! So I've just left it alone and now I have a grainy, but ok image. Even on my Pioneer Progressive scan DVD Player which I'm using Component cables with .. it's picture isn't all that great.. I guess I expected something I didn't get??? If anyone has this exact tv could maybe give me the numbers you have your set callibrated too?? I'm just a novice about this.. Any help would be really helpful!!

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Sharing settings between Tv's is a futile exercise. It is like sharing the combination for your lock with someone else. Maybe it works ... maybe not.

Get a test disc like AVIA or SVHTT and run through the basic settings.

Type of Pioneer DVD player would also help. These units are not known for having the most stellar 480P images.

Regards

3. James_Barcus

James_Barcus Agent

That's fine.. I just need to play with it a little more.. It's a Pioneer DV-250. I figured it was the DVD player but I found this about my tv.. "With Features like Digital Image Scaling Technology where all sources are up converted to 1080i." How does that work? If that's the case then the picture should look a lot better than it does! Again maybe it's the Calibration.. Who know's.. Thanks for the help! I am going to probably get a Sony DVP-NS715P for $119 sometime soon.. Hopefully!

4. Al Shing

Al Shing Stunt Coordinator

The first thing you want to do is turn the contrast setting down to avoid burn-in. New sets come out of the factory with the contrast set too high.

Next, it is imperative that you get the Sound and Vision or Avia calibration DVDs so you can calibrate your picture for the DVD player.

I found on my TV, the previous model to yours, that each input device is calibrated differently, so you'll need to find color bars for each signal type and calibrate for each device. Otherwise, your HD picture will be too dark, the VCR will look horrible, etc. Here is a tutorial on how to use color bars: http://www.videouniversity.com/tvbars2.htm . Your S&V calibration DVD will conveniently come with a blue filter that you can use for calibrating with color bars.

After the first 90 days or so, when there is no possibility that your TV will be exchanged due to a defect, you may want to hire an ISF calibrator to calibrate your TV. This is the only way to get the best out of your TV, but it can cost $300 or more.

5. James_Barcus

James_Barcus Agent

Well thanks for the info!! I'm gonna buy the new DVD calibaration "Digital" somethine.. hehe.. I did turn the contrast way way down.. I kinda like it turned down quite a bit. I just had Charter HDTV installed today (only 2 channels but cheap!) and they look superb!! I couldn't believe what I was seeing. But now all my other channels look kinda funny.. kinda "shake" and "jitter" but the picture is ok, a little grainy but still calibrating. Is there anything I need to do that I haven't to make it look better? Or am I just stuck with getting used to it? I have a Panasonic TAU 27" flatscreen and when I watch something via compnent cables it also kinda "shakes" and "jitters"... Do I need to break the bank and my Monster Component cables?

6. Al Shing

Al Shing Stunt Coordinator

Most people would say avoid the Monster Component cables because they are a waste of money. I use the longest cables that Best Buy carries myself. They already cost $20 something apiece.

For the regular channels, turn sharpness all the way down, and look for Off-Air channels that may have color bars you can use to calibrate. I know HD color bars are hard to come by - I used the one from the NBA All-Star Game channel back in January. If you have a DCT5100 cable box, try watching on the composite S-Video connection instead of the component connection. Most people think it looks better. Or bypass the box altogether and watch directly off the cable for the analog channels.

7. James_Barcus

James_Barcus Agent

Thanks for telling me about Monster cables.. But here's the story now. For some strange reason.. The picture on my Tv is FLAWLESS now.. I mean no shaking, no "sprites" "spikes" "snow" "grainy picture"... Perfect!! And I'm using a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3100HD with Component jacks. I couldn't believe how good it's gotten!! I've never seen it this good. Crisp, clear, perfect!! Just getting it calibrated.. My local channel WTAP shows color bars from 2am-6am... I need to stay up and calibrate correctly. But for now it's great!! I love my set up .. and for the longest time I had lost faith in Charter Communications. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]