JVC 8010 receiver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jesse P, May 13, 2002.

1. Jesse P

Jesse P Extra

Has anyone here had experience with the JVC 8010 receiver, or the 9010? I can get the 8010 for around $270, it has all of the features I'm looking for. It will be matched up with JBL N38 mains, N center channel and N24 rears. Would this receiver satisfy my "new, first" HT setup.

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Jesse,

I had the RX-8000VBK which was the model prior to the 8010. With the 8010, the face plate changed a bit and they added a USB port, but that's all that I'm aware of.

I only sold mine because I wanted to try a Denon receiver. Comparing the two, I like the Denon slightly more, but the JVC was not bad. Considering the price you'll be paying, the receiver is not a bad choice.

There are many other options out there at the moment, but you'll have to come up with another $200 to buy into those names and features. Buy the JVC - if you decide you want something better in a year, sell it for about $200 and move on. That's what I did.

3. Alf S

Alf S Banned
    BANNED

Alfer
    Jesse,

Have you considered the Pioneer VSX D811? (ok I'm biased since I just got one).

I was considering the JVC 8010 until I saw all the nice extras the new Pioneer offers like DD EX, DTS ES, Prologic 2 etc.

Best of all it can be found for $294 plus shipping on the web (do a search on mysimon.com for latest prices).

I think you might be thankful down the road...unless of course you're on a strict budget, if so, then maybe the 8010 is worth it.

Good luck

Alfer

4. Larry Hoffman

Larry Hoffman Stunt Coordinator

I too have the 8000. I've had no problems with it at all. If you don't need the features the Pioneer has that Alf mentioned, I think you'll be happy with the 8010.

Larry.

5. Jesse P

Jesse P Extra

I was looking at the JVC website and they came out with the 8020, same as before only with DD EX, DTS ES, and Pro logic II. I did a search and found it a few places for $350. I might end up going with this unit.

The Pioneer looks nice but they don't have a basic progressive scan DVD player for under $300, I know it makes no difference on mixing brands but I like the look of all the same brand components.

6. John_Bilbrey

John_Bilbrey Stunt Coordinator

I have the 9010. I got it for $299 at etronics, it was $332 delivered. The price/features ratio is pretty good. I am pleased with it, the only problem I have with it is that it doesn't have DPLII. Other than that it's great. Oh, and the 120W rating may be a little inflated. My old Onkyo with 50W seemed to be almost as loud.

7. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

I would look around & get the 8020 because it has pre-outputs. But you have to add an amp for that rear center speaker. Last years 8010 could be had for around $249 & that's what I'd look to spend on the new 8020. Same thing here, I bought my daughter the 9010 for $299 & she loves it especially the RF remote. I would really wait & see what they want for the new 9020 when it comes out.

8. Alf S

Alf S Banned
    BANNED

Alfer
  9. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

10. Jesse P

Jesse P Extra

I decided to go with the JVC, now I just need to decide on the model. My setup is going in the basement that is being I'm finishing right now (in the drywall stage) so I'm a month or 2 away. I'm going to wait and see what the prices do. Right now I'm thinking I'll go with the 8020, I would like to have Pro logic II, and I don't need the multi-room. If the price difference is significant between the 8020 and the 8010 I might go with the 8010 or 9010, but hopefully in a month or 2 they will be comparable.

Reasons I decided on JVC.

I like the Compu-Link idea, my wife hates remotes and has trouble with the digital cable and VCR.

I want to stay with 1 brand for all of the components including DVD player and JVC has some nice ones with progressive and DVD audio at a good price.

They have all the options I'm looking for in the price range I want.

11. Alf S

Alf S Banned
    BANNED

Alfer
    FYI II

The Pioneer also has a "Compu Link" style system for use with the Pioneer progressive scan DVD I mentioned as well as other Pioneer equipment.