What's new

JVC 7800 SVHS Help (1 Viewer)

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
I just got the the JVC 7800 installed on my mom's system and so far I haven't seen't the improvement that I was expecting except for the sound. Do I need high-end S-Video Cables with this?

I was wondering about a few things. Should Digital TBC/NR and Digital R3 always be on? I'm wondering if it actually degrades picture quality rather than improve it.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The TBC is a great thing, and doesn't degrade the signal. What it does is sync the signal and helps eliminate jittering and other annoyances of tape based medium

You're not going to see THAT much improvement over VHS, I definately saw my VHS tapes looking better, but not by much. Since VHS is a composite medium, SVideo is not really necessary for it, but it usually doesn't hurt. It's when you record SVHS on an SVHS tape that you'll really see the difference.

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
Well I think it's great. My mom is just biased towards Panasonic VCRs. But I think it's probably a testament to the quality of Panasonic's old VCRs that my mom thinks tapes look better on it. But it's fine. I still need to put some cabling in. I was wondering if using a better S-video would improve anything. I'm using pretty cheap AR cables.

BTW. So even if the tape I'm playing is of high quality I should still keep TBC on?

Dave Reichert

Stunt Coordinator
If you're currently using an S-Video cable, I don't think you'll see all that much difference in using a more expensive cable on a medium like SVHS. To show her where SVHS really shines, record a show in SVHS on the JVC and then record the same show on her old VCR, then play them back and see which one she likes the best. I never really understood why SVHS never got a lot bigger than it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks