What's new

JVC 723 PAL-NTSC Conversion? (1 Viewer)

In the Regional DVD section of this forum I see a report of a PAL Region 0 DVD being played on a JVC 723, giving a normal picture on an NTSC tv set. My question is whether the JVC really does do the PAL-NTSC conversion for non-region encoded DVDs.
The Pantera chip from Mediamatics that it uses is the same one used in the German CineUltra player that does convert both ways. So has this feature been implemented in the JVC 723?
Keith Smith

Nathan_H

Second Unit
No, I don't think the player does the conversion. I have the player and may be the person whose posts you refer to. Here's what likely happened: Feeding the JVC's output of a PAL disc to an HDTV worked fine with a b/w PAL all regions DVD because the TV can handle a higher scan rate (30kHz for progressive "NTSC" 480p DVD, a little more than 30kHz for 540p/1080i HDTV signals) than interlaced SDTV (15kHz) -- and interlaced PAL falls between interlace NTSC and progressive (480p) "NTSC" DVD.
---------
That said, I haven't been able to try a color PAL disc, because the only one I have is coded for region 2 -- and the player gave me a nasty WRONG REGION warning when I tried to play it on it.
If there was a color PAL DVD that was all region, that I was interested in getting, I'd give it a try. But I'm not aware of one.
---------
Still, the fact that the JVC honors region coding is the real drag here. I'd LOVE to find a service menu/hidden feature that would let me disable the region code feature (like on those fabled APEX machines).

Nathan_H

Second Unit
By the way, I may have some of the numbers a little off above -- and, if so, I hope someone corrects me, so that I can learn better -- but the concept of how they interplay is the important part of the post. But I may be wrong in the concept, too!

Users who are viewing this thread