What's new

JVC 70bk dvd player problem... (1 Viewer)

I just purchased the JVC SA70BK progressive dvd player (same innards as sa60/65, 75, 90/95). I seem to have a problem and I'm just wondering if this is normal.

When I switch from progressive to interlaced mode via the remote the image becomes incredibly dark. The progressive image is wonderful and the right brightness, but the interlaced is so dark that you can't see anything but the extreme highlights in movies. I have the unit hooked up via component cables to a Toshiba 40H80.

Also, there is a slight grinding noise when the disk spins up. Do other people have this?? I'm just not sure if this is a usual sound since my old Sony 330 dvd player doesn't make much noise when spinning up.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Brad

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
In my experience JVCS60 to 40H80, the progressive output is brighter than the interlaced output. I briefly had the Toshiba 3750 and it was the same thing. I suspect that it's deliberate, to "help" you perceive the added resolution with the progressive output.

Just use the Video Preferences to compensate.

I don't have any grinding noise on my unit. My advice, for what it's worth, is exchange it immediately.

Martin.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Although, come to think of it, you should, if you haven't yet, try some other discs. Maybe you just have an unbalanced DVD...

Martin.

MarcS

Stunt Coordinator
First question--why would you want to use the interlaced mode? The Tosh doesn't lock into full with a progressive signal, and the JVC will scale a non-anamorphic dvd...
If it's more a curiosity question, then as another post suggested, just tweak the interlaced mode with one of the two user "video preferences" settings...
I now have the same JVC--it replaces a Tosh 5109, but before, I had both outputs from the 5109 going into my Pioneer SD582 (progressive and interlaced had simultaneous output). I also found that each output had to be calibrated separately... so you ain't crazy...
;)

Jesse Clift

Agent
I also have the XV-SA70BK and it does not make the grinding noise you describe. You should also be aware that this player, as well as most other JVC players will not display the fading subtitles found on the Phantom Menace DVD. There is a thread going on about this here: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=17723
I do not have a hi def monitor so I cannot comment on the progressive to interlaced switching.

Adil M

Supporting Actor
I have the dvd player and a Hi-Def monitor.

There should be no grinding noise. None. You might hear the disc spinning, but that's not grinding.

If you have it in progressive and you switch to interlaced real quick, the picture will get god-awful. Skintones become redder and darker. Details are lost. Loads of artifacting. This is all noticeable from 3 feet. From 12 feet, our viewing distance, it just gets darker.

This may also have to do w/ the Mits's shit line doubler.

Why would you want to be in interlaced anyway? I would not rec'd this player to someone who wants a progressive player now, but only has interlaced inputs for say the next year.

Thanks all for your input. The interlaced thing was just the curiosity factor. Figured I should try it out eventhough I would only use it in progressive mode. I'm a teaker (overclocked my computer 50%, etc). I have returned the 70bk because of the grinding noise. Should get a new one by monday.
Thanks again, a very sucessful first post. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks