JVC 6x dvd settings--16:9 normal vs. auto

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MarcS, Nov 27, 2001.

1. MarcS

MarcS Stunt Coordinator

Just picked one up and am wondering about the screen settings of 16:9 Normal vs Auto... Haven't seen this issue addressed in prior posts.

I have a Pioneer that locks into full with a progressive signal--so I think this is what the Auto setting is for.

However, the strangest thing happens with the movie "Tremors", it ends up looking roughly like a 4:3 image within my 16:9 screen (I believe it's a 1.85 aspect ratio). (The movie doesn't have menu settings for 4:3 vs 16:9)

If I change the setting to "Normal" (I may have the actual name of the settings reversed) the image fills the width of the screen, but it's a bit compressed (the characters look "fat")--this is true whether I have interlaced or progressive output.

Thoughts? Just a quirk of Tremors? Other videos seem fine...

TIA

Marc

(BTW, I previously had a Tosh 5109, and have had this setup for almost 2 years)

2. Ernest

Ernest Supporting Actor

16 x 9 Normal will reformat a 4 x 3 letterbox to 16 x 9, which is the anamorphic aspect ratio. Picture quality will improve. It works great for many letterbox DVD's such as The Abyss, Armagedden, Jack Ryan Series, Star Trek, and many, many more.

Unfortunatley all DVD's are not created equal and many do not contain the proper flags and in thoses cases the player will windowbox the movie. Depending on your TV you have a couple of options. You can use the zoom feature on the JVC to correct the problem. I have found the zoom feature over scans and some of the picture is cropped.

If you own a Toshiba or Mits HD TV you can resize the DVD using one of the TV's widescreen formats. Widescren 2 on the Toshiba will resize a leterbox to 16 x 9. What is most important about the Toshiba and Mits is they both except progressive scan signals on all their aspect ratios.

16 x 9 Auto is to be used for DVD's processed in anamorphic or enhanced for 16 x 9 TV's.

3. MarcS

MarcS Stunt Coordinator

Yah...went home for lunch and looked at the manual again--thought I might have reversed the terminology...

The first movie I tried was Armageddon, and it looks much better than before...I was only going to sample some scenes, then ended up watching about 30 minutes worth or more...

Windowboxed, that's the term I was looking for...that's what happened to Tremors...

So, if I have a movie "enhanced for widescreen", does it matter which setting I use? Auto or Normal? I guess it shouldn't, since the setting is dependent on the tv and not the movie, and an anamorphic movie should display properly either way?

Since the Pioneer locks into full, I'd have to rely on the player's zoom to enlarge the windowbox...

Thanks...

4. MarcS

MarcS Stunt Coordinator

I found that the 2nd disk of Armageddon (special features) must not have the proper flags because it plays back windowboxed.

The only problem with using the zoom is that it has a constant on-screen display--it apparently cannot be disabled in the options menu...

So I guess that means for disks with improperly flagged aspect ratios that the JVC player will always windowbox... the only fix is to switch the 16:9 setting to auto, and go to interlaced mode, the you will get full screen width video...

Hmmm...

5. MarcS

MarcS Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Paul!

I'll try that tonight...