JVC -65GD vrs Panny RP56 & DVDs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Strickland, Nov 1, 2001.

1. Mark Strickland

Mark Strickland Auditioning

It is time to replace our Pioneer 434 (bought it when it was cheap and it was better than the other stuff we could afford)..
    I have spent about 2 hours reading everything the search engine on here found for me about the JVC 65 and the Panny RP56.. They both sound good but the one question I have seen very little information on was disc compatibilty.
    I've seen older DVD players (mainly Sony and Toshiba) have problem reading some DVDs. Our collection has just topped 225 DVDs and replacing our current DVD player with one that won't play all the DVDs isn't an option (SWMBO said so)..
    How are the JVC-65 and the Panny RP56 doing in regards to playing DVDs and VCDs? Anyone heard of any problems with either player?
    As a side note, this player will be hooked to our Panny PT56WX95 (56" 16x9 RPTV). If anyone thinks one is better than the other for this RPTV, please let me know..
    Thanks..
    Mark

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Mark,
    I have the 7 disc changer version of the JVC you're considering. So far it has not failed to play anything properly, including a few discs that would not load on it's predecessor, a Panasonic A-320. The Panny would play anything up until it hit about 18 months old, then started failing to load some new titles. I bought it open box, so there's no way of knowing how many "miles" it had on it and I don't want to give the impression that I think Panasonics are unreliable.
    I am very happy with the jvc, it's got a lot of useful goodies like video adjustment features and auto scaling for properly flagged non-anmorphic dvds. Color and overall picture are at least as good as the A-320, which was an excellent machine in these respects.
    ------------------
    Steve S.
    I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

3. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    Mark I have the same set you do and I went from the Pioneer 434 to the rp56 and i love it. I was happy with the picture the pioneer put out but i like the rp56 better. It plays everything so far(I have close to 200 discs). I also happen to have the 7 disc version of the JVC player you mentioned. It does have a problem with my set and seeing as how you have the same set as me, here is what happens to me: When watching any movie that has bright flashes such as gunshots pointed at the camera, explosions, bright flashes of light in general, any others intense scenes, the picture "scrambles" for lack of a better word. This only happens for a second but it is very noticeable. Several friends have seen it also. I brought this player to a friends house who has a toshiba 16X9 and it played flawlessly. I took the player back to BB and exchanged it. Same thing happened with the new one. I would also note that the Pioneer and the rp56 played perfectly so it is definetly an issue with the player. I have a tech coming to my home Monday and i am gonna show him the problem. Hopefully it can be resolved. Just wanted to give you a heads up about the JVC. It may only be my set but who knows why it don't like that unit. The JVC does put out a nice progressive scan picture but i think the rp56 looks even better. I would like to note however that the JVC I have does an excellent job scaling non-anamorphic discs while the rp56 does no scaling at all. Sorry for the long reply. Good luck with your new DVD player.

4. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
  5. Charles M

Charles M Stunt Coordinator

Ron,
    You put out some good reviews.
    JVC seems to be coming along. It's leaning me towards one of there new palyers, the 70 or 90 lines.
    I'm trying to get a review on the new Sony 500 or 650 SACD players. I'm replacing my 560(it died). Giving the reliabily of late, I don't know. Maybe the 700? You seem to have liked it.
    Charles
    ------------------
    The only dumb question is the one you never ask....