JVC 65 vs. Panny RP91 (scaling capabilities)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KevinO, Aug 18, 2001.

1. KevinO

KevinO Stunt Coordinator

I'm in the market for a progressive DVD player. The RP91 sounds nice, but is a bit pricey. I'm very interesting in getting a player that can scale non-anamorphic material. Does the JVC do this? Can it be done manually for improperly flagged discs? I've seen conflicting information about this. Thanks in advance for the input!

2. Ernest

Ernest Supporting Actor

Yes the JVC 723 can convert 4 x 3 letterbox DVD's to 16 x 9 anamorphic with stunning results. The player has an excellent zoom, accessable on the remote, for converting improperly flagged DVD's. Great player for the price.

3. KevinO

KevinO Stunt Coordinator

Ernest, thanks for the info. I'm considering the JVC 65, however. Do you know about this one?

4. William Ward

William Ward Supporting Actor

Does the JVC have the ability to "side letterbox" 1.33:1 DVDs so that you can use the progressive scan abilities of the player???
    It's not that big a deal as it has a switch on the front to switch to 480i and I can use the TV's narrow mode to watch the older classics. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    William
    Go Bucs!!
    MyDVDs

5. MaxY

MaxY Guest

OK I don't have one but here is what I understand from having read about them ing few different places.
    Yes it will scale non-anamorphic Letterbox titles but only automatically. Mean if you get one of the titles that does not trigger this funtion like Titanic you are SOL.
    I do belive it also will do the Window box bars for 4x3 full frame as well.
    Max
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Browse My Collection of DVDs at DVD profiler
    Equipment Lists for My HTs
    Petition To Bring Motel Hell To DVD Check In Here
    Time to resume Buying Warner Product!!

6. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I would avoid any player that will not allow you to manually select the zoom/scaling mode. I have discovered that over half the non-anamorphic letterbox DVD's I've tried are not flagged properly, requiring me to manually select zoom on the RP-91.
    However, I have no idea which JVC models do and don't provide a manual zoom selection. I'm sure that JVC owners here will provide that info. The above was just a caveat.
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection
    AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 5

7. Marc Alexander

Marc Alexander Stunt Coordinator

Hello...
    JVC Owners???

8. KevinO

KevinO Stunt Coordinator

I've had the JVC 65 for about a week now. The player does scale nonanamorphic letterboxed discs, but as has been pointed out, only if the discs are flagged correctly. There is a manual zoom option, using the remote control, which simply zooms in X2, X4, etc. For those incorrectly flagged discs, you can use this feature, but a portion of the top/bottom image will be eliminated. The image quality is o.k. when manually zooming, but I haven't watched a non-anamorphic disc very carefully yet. The player also will add black vertical bars for 4 X 3 non-letterboxed material. I like this feature, as my Panny 47" has very light gray bars when viewing 4 X 3. I'm not too concerned about scaling non-anamorphic LB discs. I only have 14 in my collection (half are flagged wrong), and I don't think I'll be adding any more. Most if not all new releases (and new catalog releases) are now anamorphic. For me, it wasn't worth an extra $200 to by the RP91, so that 7 non-anamorphic discs are shown properly.

9. William Ward

William Ward Supporting Actor

That's what I was looking for. I don't have that many non-anamorphic discs still in my collection. I mainly have R1 mainstream discs so the oddball disc problem shouldn't effect me. I'm off to Sears.
    ------------------
    William
    Go Bucs!!
    MyDVDs