JVC 6000 vs. Dish 6000 IRDs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnGoggan, Mar 10, 2003.

1. JohnGoggan

JohnGoggan Stunt Coordinator

So -- can anyone tell me (or direct me to) a rundown of the differences between the JVC 6000 and Dish 6000 (or 6000U, I guess?) HDTV receivers? I'm fairly new to HDTV and would like to get a Dish Network HDTV receiver for CBS-HD and Discovery-HD -- as well as possibly for some OTA HD broadcasts if I can pick them up.

I gather that the 8VSB is the tuner card that can be added for OTA signals, right? Is it the same card for either of those receivers?

I also see mention at DishNetwork.com that the Dish 6000(U) must have an "Enhanced HD Adapter" for certain broadcasts such as Discovery-HD. This is the 8PSK decoder, right? Does the JVC unit also need one of these? Is it the same card for both again?

Is there any reason to go with one over the other?

Are there currently any other options for HDTV via Dish Network? Or are those the only two worth looking at right now? (Note that the PVR921 will be way out of my price range, so no need to mention it. [​IMG] )

Thanks!

- John...

2. JohnGoggan

JohnGoggan Stunt Coordinator

Also -- can someone tell me a quick and easy way to tell on a JVC unit if the 8VSB is installed? A shop has a used one for sale that they took in on a trade-in -- and they don't know if it has the 8VSB installed or not. I'd like to be able to see how to tell (preferrably without powering it up if possible). Thanks!

- John...