What's new

JVC 36" vs. SONY 36" (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Scott

Second Unit
I have a 36" JVC HDTV and my brother just bought a 36" Sony flat screen tube tv (Non HD).

My jvc HDTV is last years model and i have had it for about 6 months now. He got his on friday and i can see the pixels in his alot more then in mine.....does the HD have anything to do with that?

If not, what causes that??

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Since neither set even uses pixels (both are CRT-based models), I'm not sure what you're seeing. Please describe in more detail.

Jeremy Scott

Second Unit
if you get real close to the sets, you see small dots on the screens. i am guessing maybe 400-500 across on a 4:3 set
i am about 8 feet from my JVC HDTV and cannot see them, but i can be 8 feet from my brothers SONY set and i can really see them.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Jeremy, those are the perforations of the shadow masks (or, in the case of the Sony, its "aperture grill"). You'll see this phenomenon on any modern CRT-based direct-view TV. The shadow mask helps the electron beam "hit" the phospors on the inside of the tube more precisely ("dot pitch").

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Jeremy, How do you like your JVC? & I've seen the same thing on the Sony's picture compared to the JVC's & Toshiba's & I think it's especially noticeable on the lower priced Sony models.

Jeremy Scott

Second Unit
i like my jvc HDTV, model av36p903, 2002 model.....unfortunately it was a floor model, which i regret getting and it has purity problems. luckily i got a 3 year extended warranty...i had the tube changed once and am again THIS FRIDAY...if a new tube doesnt cure the problem, i will try to return this to the store and get a RPTV for myself.
Anyways, i think this tv has the best picture i have ever seen on a tube. the purity problem is only in the corners and is only noticable on light screens.
but it looks 200 % better then the SOny my bro has as i said i can see the phospher things alot more on his....his model was the 36fv310 i believe.

i read somewhere then a warped shadow mask can cause purity, is that true?
maybe my shadow mask is warped?, how do you check the shadow mask?

Jeremy Scott

Second Unit

can you exlplain this chroma distortion subject?

i have no magnetic fields near my tv, besides the built-in speakers on the sides of jvc tv.

RayMan

Grip
I have the 36FV310 and I have seen no Tube look as good with a dvd, or especially cable, though my dvd is no progressive scan... What are you actually viewing when you compare the two?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks