What's new

Jvc 10 (1 Viewer)

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
I read on the Cruchfield site that it has an all channel stereo mode. So this about completes the features for this unit! Just no reviews. This unit is different from the "9".
Someone buy it and give us a report!:crazy: :laugh:

Chris Loker

Auditioning
I purchased the JVC 10VBK THX Ultra Certified receiver about 3 weeks ago. I haven't had a lot of time to try out all of the features but I can say I am very happy with the sound quality.

Any questions I'll be glad to try to answer them!

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
OK// Here is my list
1. How well does it decode ES discrete on a DVD that has it?
2. How well does it to THX EX on a DVD that has it?
3. The stereo all channels/how does it sound on the rears/full power or something else?
4. Is it user friendly?
5. Does it do 5.1 perfect?
list of 6 channel DVD's/maybe???????????
Dolby Digital EX
102 Dalmations
Art Of War, The*
Astronaut's Wife, The
Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me*
Bad Taste*
Bats
Beastmaster*
Bone Collector, The*
Cast Away*
Caveman's Valentine, The*
Chicken Run*
Claim, The*
Exorcist:TVYNS, The*
Fight Club*
Gladiator*
Haunting, The*
Hollow Man*
Legend Of Bagger Vance, The*
Maniac
Messenger: The Story Of Joan Of Arc, The*
Mexican, The*
Mission To Mars
Opera*
Perfect Storm, The*
Pitch Black*
Rush Hour 2 - Next Tuesday
Say It Isn't
See Spot Run
Se7en: Platinum Series*
Someone Like You
Spy Kids*
Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace *
Stunt Man, The *
Suspiria *
Terminator *
Terminator 2: Judgement Day: Ultimate Edition*
Toy Story 2*
Unbreakable*
World Is Not Enough, The*
DTS-ES discrete
Bad Taste*
Beastmaster*
Chicken Run*
Gladiator*
Haunting, The*
Maniac*
Opera*
Rush Hour 2 – Next Tuesday
Se7en*
Stunt Man, The *
Suspiria*
DTS-ES discrete CDs
Don Henley - End Of Innocence*
Studio Voodoo - Studio Voodoo
Cheryl Crow - Globe Sessions*
DTS-ES matrix
102 Dalmations
Bad Taste*
Beastmaster *
Bone Collector, The*
Cast Away*
Chicken Run*
Gladiator*
Haunting, The*
Legend Of Bagger Vance, The*
Maniac
Mexican, The*
Opera *
Pitch Black*
Rush Hour 2 - Next Tuesday
Se7en*
Stunt Man, The*
Suspiria*
Terminator 2: Judgement Day: Ultimate Edition*
Unbreakable*
:D

Chris Loker

Auditioning
As I still only have a 5.1 speaker setup (so only using 5 of the 7 identical amplifiers included) I can't give you a real review of the 6.1 sound. It does not do DTS-Discrete only DTS-Matrix and DD-Matrix. I tested Rush Hour 2 in DTS and DD mode and the output was terrific.

I had never tried the All Channel Stereo option and was very suprised at how good it was. It does send full power to all of the speakers.

This receiver does have a very good sound. It has an absolutely clean output (no hiss in any mode like most JVC). The sound from this receiver could be put up against the other flagship receivers with no problem.

I'd say it is very user friendly, especially since it has the the one-touch operation like other JVC's where you can setup the parameters for a specific input and it saves it just for that input. Example: When select TV goes to Prologic (no it doesn't have Prologic II but I am not concerned); DVD goes to THX mode (I like the THX mode because I believe it gives a better presence to the center speaker and dialog); CD now set for the All Channel Stereo.

Easiest way to setup is with on-screen menu's.

For the price you can get this receiver (although appears to have gone up since I paid $850) I don't think you can do much better.

I also have not tried out the multi-room multi-source capability. However, with what I have seen with the ability of this reciever to handle power I am sure to be impressed when I get my basement setup (also includes RF remote for the multiroom downstairs - I use a Pronto upstairs).

Only negatives: The CC converter which is supposed to improve sound I did tend to like with music. However, the one-touch control does not work with the CC converter so if I have it on for CD's I have to manually cut it off when I go to DVD. So I just decided to leave it off. Would be nice if you could set the front panel to not open at all. I have it in a cabinet and rarely if ever use the on receiver buttons. So why have it move down to show the input selection buttons when I don't need it to (although no problem really). I guess it would be nice if it decoded the full DTS discrete - but even when I do add rear speakers I don't think discrete vs. matrixed rear is going to make a big difference to me.

P.S. I've searched for the Sound and Vision review (for some time prior to purchasing) and it is not online and haven't been able to get a copy. But - it was awarded their Editors Choice award at the end of the year and in the summarized review they reiterate the quality of sound this receiver has - really stacks up with the big guys.

Therefore, as far as sound quality goes I wouldn't worry about this receiver. In deciding if it is right for you I would say it comes down to do you need DTS-Discrete vs. Matrix and do you need Prologic-II. If not I would say this receiver should be on your short list . . . it is not the same old JVC.

Chris Loker

Auditioning
Oops - went and got my receipt. I was wrong I paid $895 + $36 shipping to Virginia = $931 total.

I got it from reliableaudiovideo.com however my receipt came from Uncles Stereo (I guess they are the same). I had actually bought my Pronto from Uncles Stereo a couple years ago so I guess now I am a repeat customer and would recommend them.

However, the price has gone up on their website last I looked. I would imagine though they would match their old $895 price.

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Crutchfied site said it did ES?????? Oh well! There is absolutely no info on this on the internet!! That review link was not for a JVC 10. Just another JVC with a 10 in the number. Well! Discrete 6 channels is why i'm upgrading. And if it can't do that then I will take it off my list, even though JVC rocks. Never had a bad JVC product, very reliable!

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Earl, I have the JVC Receiver Catalog & it says,

Sourround Sound Circuity:

Dolby Digital built in decoder

DTS built in decoder

Surround EX (DTS ES Compatible)

DVD Multi-Channel Audio Campatible

(6-ch inputs & 5 seperate Amps)

Dolby Pro-Logic in Full Digital Processing

3-D PHONIC

FROM Sound & Vision Test Report:

KEY FEATURES:

Dolby Digital, DTS, & digital-domain Dolby Pro-Logic decoding with full THX post-processing

THX Surround EX decoding & amplification for Dolby Digital EX & DTS-ES Martix 6.1 channel soundtracks.

HIGH POINTS:

Excellent multichannel performance

Wide dynamic range

Bass management for stereo signals

Good Value

LOW POINTS:

6.1 channel decoding not available without THX processing

Sequential ambience-mode selection

No bass management for multichannel analog input

David Ranada quote "I have no significant reservations in recommending the JVC RX-DP10V. It's a topflight performer with convenience features and operational flexibility few other receivers can match, and certainly not at this price.

Earl if there are any other specs that you would like from the test report like watts & soforth let me know & I will post them for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks