What's new

Justice League Unlimited Season 3 (2 Viewers)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

Well, that just sucks. Maybe we can hold out hope for direct-to-DVD movies in the future, like Warner is doing with Superman: The Animated Series this fall (the movie is called "Brainiac Attacks," I believe, and reunites the cast). Still, I take some satisfaction that 1) this show is coming to DVD (season 1 in March, season 2 in June, more to follow I'm sure) and 2) an animated "children's" show could be produced of such high calibur with such thoughtful and even mature writing.

Daniel-M

Second Unit
argh. Toonami i n the Uk would have aired the seasonfianle tonight, but they aired a Pokemon-marathon instead

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
Oh, this just blows. The one good animated show that I watch and it ends this season. Let's hope it goes out with a bang!

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The episode "Dead Reckoning" airs this Saturday at 10.30 pm, and "Patriot Act" airs next Saturday (2/25) at 10.30 pm. Both are new.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Anyone catch "Patriot Act"? I thought it was good, if a little generic. I liked the bitchy slaps at Marvel ("Captain Nazi," the Hulk-like appearance of the general), and I enjoyed seeing Speedy, but otherwise it seemed a bit by-the-numbers. Nice dialogue with Vigilante and Shining Knight, and good stuff from the parade crowd ("We want Superman!").

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I thought parts of it were quite good, but overall, it was fairly "Saturday morning". For lack of a better word, it was light on subtlety. I also caught some of the Marvel nods (I also thought Captain America and Hulk). I thought the General (a recurring character with a GREAT voice, JK Simmons [also known as JJ Jameson from the Spidey films, among many other major roles]) was played as an idiot. Normally, he had the big picture, but what is going to do with ONE supersoldier (who'd get his ass kicked anyway). They seemed to be making an effort to make a silly point.

But thre action was cool, there were a few laugh out loud moments, and it showcased some rarely seen members. I liked that a lot.

"You wanted Superman?!?! Well, you got...the Crimson Avenger and my ex-sidekick..."
"Ex-partner :angry: "

For all of my complaints (based solely on high expectations), this was still a decent episode. 6 to go :frowning:

But I've heard positively legendary things about the finale.

Can't wait,
Chuck

todd s

Senior HTF Member
A little trivia for Firefly/Serenity fans out there. The western hero Vigilante was voiced by Captain Mal Reynolds himself...Nathan Fillian. ;)

Seriously, I feel bad for Green Arrow talk about being put with 3rd tier heroes.

I will give credit to Warner/CN they really do get some big names to do voice overs. Too bad they are so stupid as to cancel this show. :angry:

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor

I agree with the "Hulk-like" appearance, but I didn't get Captain Nazi as a Marvel reference. Captain Nazi is (was) an oldtime comic villain from the 40's. He fought not only Spy Smasher back then (who appeared in this episode), but Captain Marvel as well (Captain Nazi was responsible for crippling Freddy Freeman which resulted in him becoming Captain Marvel, Jr.)...

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

Talk about your "here is the message, for God's sake, don't miss the MESSAGE" 2x4s! :thumbsdown:

If I wanted a political message in my entertainment, I'd watch Syriana or Bowling for Columbine. It's not something I expect to see on JLU. It was a bottom of the barrel episode for me, except for the strong character interaction between the 3rd Tiers and the strong vocal talent. Someone should have polished this script a bit more before they let it out of the gate.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
CartoonNetwork.com has two more episodes listed as airing the next two Saturdays. 3/4 is the Great Brain Robbery (and from the description, sounds as Saturday morning as you can get), and 3/11 is Grudge Match.

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
I agree about Green Arrow being put in the middle of 3rd tier characters. Sure he doesn't have special super-powers but the guy is just too cool and smart...but so is the vigilante...oh well, nevermind. :D

Entertaining episode. I like how they don't just concentrate on the main guys.

Man, I'm going to miss this show!

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I would put Green Arrow in the second tier:

1) Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman

2) Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Flash, Hawk Man/Girl

3) Supergirl, Robin, The Atom, Martian Manhunter, Aquaman

4) Huntress, Question, Black Canary, Captain Marvel, Elongated Man

5) Sandman, Hourman, Crimson Avenger, Spectre, Doctor Fate, Zantana, Mister Terrific, Wildcat)

A lot of the "third tier" I think you refer to would be 6th tier to me (Vigalante, Shining Knight, Blue Beetle, Booster Gold, Star Spangled Kid and Stripey)

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

IIRC, he also murdered Freddie's grandfather for basically no reason except that he gets off on being evil. For such a happy, cartoony guy, Captain Marvel had a lot of really vicious sumbitches in his rogue's gallery.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
"The Great Brain Robbery" (3/4)

Did anyone else appreciate the joke of Flash's mind switching with Lex's? In the show Flash is voiced by Michael Rosenbaum who portrays Lex Luthor on Smallville :D

On a side note, they are really making an effort to show every hero & villian in the DC Universe. Even, if its only for a second.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I thought last night's episode was another exercise in Saturday-morning writing. The animation and voice performances were very good, as always, and its always a treat to see this show, but when it was clearly capable of so much more (as we saw last season), it's disappointing to see it fall back on old cliches (switching brains?!?! sheeesh).

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
It was a comedy episode. It was worth it for Luthor(as Flash)'s line in the bathroom: "I have no idea who this is."

And Rosenbaum doing Lex was cute. Not their best, but done with wit and humor.

Take care,
Chuck

todd s

Senior HTF Member

It may be Saturday morning...But, not many Sat morning cartoons referenced Lex/Flash getting laid and taking a crap. :D

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Hey, this is kinda off-topic, but since HTF folks are the most knowledgable around, I figured I'd ask: Does anyone know of any good books on writing for animation? Or selling an animation pilot script?
I appreciate any info!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks