What's new

Justice League - late broadcast in widescreen? (1 Viewer)

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor
I accidentally recorded last Saturday's episode of Justice League (A Better World) at both the earlier and later times. The later broadcast was in widescreen, the earlier one was not.

Does anyone know if this practice will continue? I very much enjoyed it in widescreen and was able to compare the framing with the earlier cropped broadcast. There was absolutely a difference in framing...and now I'm spoiled and don't know that I can enjoy the program in 4x3 now.

I know that last season the 4x3 broadcasts were open matte, but this season that is not the case. There is definitely cropping of the sides.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i read on another place (can't remember) that this season is created widescreen and the full version is cropped or panned.

Rob T

Screenwriter
I wish YTV would broadcast the show in widescreen. They run it 3 times a week and everytime it's the 4x3 version. :frowning:

Kenny_H

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmm, I have the last 3 one hour episodes on my DishNetwork PVR recorded at 9pm EST and they are all full screen. DARN!!!:angry:

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor
So no one has any info on whether they will continue to broadcast a widescreen version? :frowning:

Lee Jamilkowski

Stunt Coordinator
Season one is best viewed in pan and scan format. The "widescreen" in season one is them simply adding the black bars. Starting with season two, though, widescreen is the better format as it is actually filmed that way (i.e. the black bars are there naturally).

As for the broadcasts, I read somewhere recently that the Saturday 10 pm showing is pan and scan while the Sunday 1 am showing is widescreen.

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor
The 1a telecasts will be in widescreen at least through early December.
Since I'm in Pacific time, that would be my 10:00 pm broadcast, right? That's the one that was widescreen last Saturday. :)

Thanks, Andrew! I'm now very much looking forward to tomorrow night's widescreen episode!

Kenny_H

Stunt Coordinator
Earlier this evening, I recorded the Justice League in its pan-and-scan version to my hard drive. As I type this I am doing the same thing in letterbox. Already I love it!!!

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
I keep trying to make it for the 1-2am JL block, but keep falling aspleep during SNL! Ah, to be young again!

Ric

Peter McM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
This show is definitely worth staying up for, if just for the writing.

"I've seen showgirls with more modesty than this so-called Wonder Woman!"

:laugh:

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
If you haven't done so already, check out the "Mystery of the Batwoman" thread in the Home Theater Software forum. The same thing happened with this DVD. It was animated at 16:9, but is 4:3 on the DVD.

Lee Jamilkowski

Stunt Coordinator
My bad. I just useed pan and scan interchangably, mostly because when I typed the original post, my brain forgot what the heck you call something non-widescreen... I just should have said fullscreen.

As it stands:

10 pm - fullscreen
1 am - widescreen

season one - "fake" widescreen
season two - "real" widescreen

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor
Well Andrew, you are correct sir! I recorded the later broadcast this past Saturday and it was indeed in widescreen.

As a side note, I wasn't all that crazy about this particular episode. I didn't dislike it, it just didn't grab me as much as previous ones. I liked that it was more geared toward The Flash this time around, but it just didn't seem as grand and film-like as the last few episodes...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks