What's new

Justice League (2017) (1 Viewer)

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I just got back from my 3-D showing and I disagree with the Rotten Tomatoes score. I liked the film and thought it was pretty funny in many spots and thoroughly enjoyed the slightly less 2 hours run time. On a grade from 1-10 with 10 being the highest score, I would give this film a solid 7.
Nice to see someone fly in the face of an ill wind. More reason for me to ignore RT and all the negative reviews. Sometimes I put on my conspiracy hat on, and think that there is a media conspiracy against all things DCEU, then I get real.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
And the CGI work on Cavill was VERY distracting to me. I didn’t go in looking for it. As a matter of fact, I had forgotten about it, but when the movie started I wondered what’s wrong with his face. Then I remembered. Oh, yeah.

I am completely unaware of what the Cavill CGI thing or reason is. Is there a spoiler free way to say what it was that you remembered? If not then don't worry about it, I was just curious as your comment was related to, as apparently I have been out of the loop.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
They had to call Cavill back for some reshoots, but in the interim he'd grown a mustache for a role in another film. They removed it digitally in JL.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
They should have just covered it with makeup, like Caesar Romero in Batman!

838ea980424a70cbd9c1435c3a090be0.jpg

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
$13M in Thursday previews:

FRIDAY AM UPDATE: WB and DC Comics' Justice League delivered $13 million in Thursday night previews, which compares favorably to the $11 million Wonder Woman brought in prior to a $103.2 million opening back in June. It's a bit behind Thor: Ragnarok's $14.5 million in previews before its recent $122.7 million debut and places well behind the $20.5 million and $27.7 million in previews for Suicide Squad and Batman v Superman respectively.

BOMojo is predicting $118M weekend.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
$13M in Thursday previews:

BOMojo is predicting $118M weekend.

For any normal superhero movie, that would be amazing.

But I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that part of the reason Warner went with the team-up route so early is that they didn't want normal superhero movie opening weekends. Marvel solo adventures routinely open around $100 million. I think they wanted the $200+ million openings that the Marvel team-up movies make, and in that context, this has to be disappointing for the studio. Batman and Superman together frankly should be a record-setting event, and that Batman V Superman wasn't at that level in terms of box office was probably a massively stunning disappointment for them. I'm sure they've adjusted their expectations somewhat since then, but I'd also bet that when this was greenlit, the idea was that based on the brands alone it would open at $200 million or more on its way to over $1 billion worldwide.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
It absolutely sucks big time that this movie is not being shown in IMAX 3D. This will make me break my long time vow of never seeing a 3D movie flat. I love 3D and was prepared to settle for “Real”3D showings, even though I found the 3D Blade Runner inferior. The family likes to buy assigned seatings in advance so it’s flat IMAX city for us! The 3D Blu ray better be available in North America!

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
For any normal superhero movie, that would be amazing.

But I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that part of the reason Warner went with the team-up route so early is that they didn't want normal superhero movie opening weekends. Marvel solo adventures routinely open around $100 million. I think they wanted the $200+ million openings that the Marvel team-up movies make, and in that context, this has to be disappointing for the studio. Batman and Superman together frankly should be a record-setting event, and that Batman V Superman wasn't at that level in terms of box office was probably a massively stunning disappointment for them. I'm sure they've adjusted their expectations somewhat since then, but I'd also bet that when this was greenlit, the idea was that based on the brands alone it would open at $200 million or more on its way to over $1 billion worldwide.

That's what they expected..... until late 2016. At that point they just wanted to get this movie out and over with and move on to non-team up movies where the budgets are $75-150m and the profits are more consistent rather than trying to hit a higher $1b+ box office mark.

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Saw this in LiMax today. Mixed feelings.

Pros: Gal Gadot of course, the new Flash wasn't bad and had his cute millenial moments, and when Superman showed up, he lit up the screen for a while.

Cons: You can't help but notice that compared to the great synergy among the Avengers, there is basically zero chemistry among this Justice League. Nothing there at all. Aquaman was literally a fish out of water. None of the action is in the sea, so he's useless, and incongruous. Plus, the wild-biker template doesn't fit at all. Ben Affleck seems less like Batman every time we see him. Can't help but contrast him badly with how Christian Bale inhabited the role.

Worst of all, Batman and Superman especially inhabit a universe in which their foes are, well, regular people, except that they are a bit crazy, like Lex Luthor and the Penguin. It makes no sense to have them fighting supernatural beings from other dimensions, it just looks weird.

Overall ... C+

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Overall, it's nothing special but it's still the best DC other than Wonder Woman. It seems like most or all of these characters should be pretty successful when they get them in a movie with a director that is more concerned with coherent action than kinetic or fast action.

I still love Affleck as Batman. He's definitely not my idea of Batman from The Dark Knight Returns but I think he brings a good level of being too old for the job. Aquaman is kind of strange since I don't know why or how a guy who lives under the sea is basically an American blue collar guy but Jason Mamoa is fun in the role and makes it work pretty well.

The mid-credits scene is the mood they should be trying to capture for the rest of the DC movies.

...and when Superman showed up, he lit up the screen for a while.
Yeah, it seems like they got Superman this time and will hopefully keep it going. The costume is bright and he's upbeat without being antiquated.

Speaking of Superman, in the scene where
he saves civilians, I wish they had put up a card saying "There, he saved people! Now stop complaining about it."

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Yeah looks like they did more than remove the mustache. Entire chin is deformed.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Deadline now predicting $97 million. Friday only $300k over Wonder Woman's.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Speaking of Superman, in the scene where
he saves civilians, I wish they had put up a card saying "There, he saved people! Now stop complaining about it."

Especially since they have such an awkward and obvious moment before it when he leaves the fight because civilians are in trouble.

I also really like Affleck as Batman.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Deadline now predicting $97 million. Friday only $300k over Wonder Woman's.

Yikes! That's good for a solo or new character debut but has to be a major disappointment for the first live action Justice League movie.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
It was okay. A disappointment since a Justice League movie should be so much more than just okay.

Not nearly as bad as the RT score had me fearing. I found it somewhat enjoyable but ultimately unremarkable.

The CGI looked surprisingly dodgy in a lot of it (to me). I felt the worst offenders were Steppenwolf's face and cyborg, but there were many instances where it looked off to me.

It was great seeing Superman seem like "Superman". I think his moments were the best in the movie. They need to do a Man of Steel sequel with the tone used for him here. Finally an appearance of Superman in a "DCEU" movie that makes me want to see more of him soon. The CGI stache removal was noticeable in a few scenes, but not terrible. Just looked a little off. I wonder how they are going to explain to friends and colleagues how Clark is back from the dead? They didn't address it here.

Flash was okay. I personally would much prefer the version in the current CW TV series, but this version was entertaining enough. Looked kinda weird running though. I really dislike the look of his homemade suit though. Some things that work in drawings just don't translate to live action. I think that with cowels, they usually don't look right without covering the chin. When the chin is untouched but the head is covered it usually just looks weird in live action. Captain America's cowel looked horrible in The Avengers, but he looked great in The First Avenger and every other appearance after The Avengers because he had a helmet with chin strap. Barry's cowel looks really good on the TV show, because it extends out over his chin. I was hoping that's Bruce would have given him a new quality looking suit at the end. No such luck there. Maybe in his solo. Please let his solo be just a solo "Flash" movie. "Flashpoint" needs to be a second or third movie. Not a first. DC needs to stop rushing things.

Aquaman was entertaining. Lots of questions about his origins and the world of Atlantis, but what was done here leaves me interested in seeing his solo next December.

Wonder Woman was good. She wasn't written and characterized as well as she was in her solo this year, but she was still the highlight after the bits with Superman.

Cyborg was okay. Some interesting stuff with him. I thought he might turn out to be poorly handled but he was pretty decent here. Not a stand out, but not bad at all.

I continue to like the Ben Affleck Batman, though I don't think he worked as well when they tried to "lighten him up". This character should stay dark and brooding.

Overall though the story and execution just felt kinda "there" and it didn't feel to have the narrative weight that this type of movie should have.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yikes! That's good for a solo or new character debut but has to be a major disappointment for the first live action Justice League movie.
I think that's tougher to gauge for DC though because there was no solo movie build up like Marvel had. If the fourth Marvel movie had been The Avengers, I don't think it would have been quite as big of a hit. Not to mention that the internet reaction for the DC movies has been Star Wars prequels-level vicious where even average people are aware of the toxic hate for the movies so I'm sure that's playing a part too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks