What's new

Justice League (2017) (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Batman and Superman have been in R-Rated equivalent comics since the mid-80s. If anything the movies have been slow to catch up.
Yeah 'The Dark Knight Returns' which BVS borrowed very heavily from(when a line of dialogue was lifted directly from the comic, and into BVS-Frank Miller's blessing or not-, I rolled my eyes) which led me to wonder one thing:

If Snyder wanted to borrow so much from Miller's masterpiece, why not just use the main plot device for Batman fighting Superman. It would have changed the film a bit, but would have made a lot more sense, and kept both heroes likeable.

I think of BVS as a mishmash of 'The Death Of Superman', and TDKR.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Batman and Superman have been in R-Rated equivalent comics since the mid-80s. If anything the movies have been slow to catch up.

I read comics in the 80s and that's not true. Maybe some of the Batman titles skirted with excessive violence (Dark Knight Returns, Death in the Family, Killing Joke - the latter two of which aren't very well written, despite how noteworthy and notorious they were) but nothing that would get an R-rating. Nothing in Superman was the equivalent of (or close to) an R-rating.

Look, Warner sells all manner of products to children with images of the DC Comics characters on them. It's rather insane that they make movies those kids can't see. That's not to say that movies should cater to children, but sticking with a more mature audience exclusively hurts the product. IMO. (It's also beyond comprehension that DC is making R-rated animated films with these characters. It's as though they are searching for a niche but missing the boat.)

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
It's rather insane that they make movies those kids can't see. That's not to say that movies should cater to children, but sticking with a more mature audience exclusively hurts the product. IMO. (It's also beyond comprehension that DC is making R-rated animated films with these characters. It's as though they are searching for a niche but missing the boat.)

I disagree. It hits a wider demographic in the end by targeting all the demographics with separate releases. I buy and enjoy the more mature releases where I would not if they were more geared to children. Times are different and the people who enjoyed these characters in the past have gotten much older and look for a more realistic tone in the stories (at least I do) . The demographics are for more reaching than they once were.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I feel bad for him. I have been there. My sister died when she was 20 and it took my family about a year after her death before things were semi-normal again. Very difficult time.

Last edited:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I haven't cared for this take on the DC universe, but I certainly wouldn't wish that on anyone. Losing a child has to be about the hardest thing you can go through, and losing a child to suicide has to be even harder still.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Dreadful news. Whatever you think of his movies, Synder is pretty much universally described as one of the nicest people you will ever meet. Very sorry to hear he has to live through the unthinkable.

Kudos to Whedon for stepping in and helping a friend.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Terribly sad news.

Snyder wished to keep the tragedy private and tried to soldier on and finish the film. But when it became apparent to him that he wasn't in the right state of mind to continue and got Whedon to finish up for him he had to go public with the tragic news. It's just aweful.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
sorry for his loss, and understand the Whedon is stepping in to finish up. but my question is with a release date 6 months away, how much will this change from Synder's original vision? will there have to be re-shoots, and the whole story dynamic change? Not that this is the Marvel universe, its darker and more serious, and honestly i think i prefer it that way so its different.

so will this lead to two or three different cuts going forward, like the Donner Cut of Superman II? only time will tell

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
sorry for his loss, and understand the Whedon is stepping in to finish up. but my question is with a release date 6 months away, how much will this change from Synder's original vision? will there have to be re-shoots, and the whole story dynamic change? Not that this is the Marvel universe, its darker and more serious, and honestly i think i prefer it that way so its different.

so will this lead to two or three different cuts going forward, like the Donner Cut of Superman II? only time will tell
My guess is that Whedon won't even get (or deserve) a credit in the movie. Whedon is probably just doing the standard reshoots & overseeing the editing and the final movie will be very close to what Snyder intended.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Whedon strikes me as a man with integrity. As such, he'll deliver the film that Snyder would have made to the best of his ability, including Snyder's sensibilities overriding his own. Of course, I imagine that Snyder would be open to Whedon's ideas if he has good ones, but not in any "take the film away from Snyder" sense.

So yes, Whedon will have some input - he was brought in by Snyder and WB to write some of the pickups before this tragedy occurred for a reason - but he'll be delivering Snyder's overall film and vision.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
upload_2017-6-6_8-56-11.png

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Hans Zimmer has been threatening to walk away from superhero scores for a while, but I'm still a little surprised that the day is finally here.

This should be interesting. I believe Zimmer basically recused himself from the "Batman theme" portions of Batman V Superman, ceding those duties to an entity called "Junkie XL" for the film's score to avoid retreading territory he had already covered with Christopher Nolan. (Ironically, Junkie XL's Batman themes borrow too heavily from Zimmer's work; if Affleck's Batman is an entirely different character from Bale's, they should not have the same or similar sounding music.) And now Elfman, who himself has written a famous Batman theme, will have to avoid repeating himself.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean

I feel better about Elfman scoring that Holkenborg (Junkie XL). Junkie XL can do some good stuff (Mad Max Fury Road) but overall I think Elfman has the more appropriate sound for a project like Justice League.

The question is how much of Holkenborg's score remains and how much of the final score will be Elfman's?

Elfman was brought in late on Avengers: Age of Ultron, so the final score was still much more Brian Tyler's than Elfman's. Though Elfman's tracks were certainly superior to Tyler's.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Hans Zimmer has been threatening to walk away from superhero scores for a while, but I'm still a little surprised that the day is finally here.

Not sure I follow your comments about Zimmer. Junkie XL is the one leaving this project to work on Tomb Raider. I don't think Zimmer has ever been attached to Justice League (sorry if I got that wrong).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks