Just wondering question.??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sarah Lynn, Mar 11, 2002.

1. Sarah Lynn

Sarah Lynn Auditioning

Hi all,
    I am starting to rebuild, renew, etc my Home Theatre system. To start I purchase a brand new Sony KV-36XBR450 "36" HDTV-ready Hi-Scan television. It's going to shipped this Friday! I can't believe I actually went ahead and brought this TV. Mostly because of price.. But I guess you get what you paid for.
    As of today I have a Yamaha Dv-S5270 DVD player, it has been recently discontinued by Yamaha. There are no Dolby Digital or DTS decoders onboard. A salesperson at Tweeter told me that I need to upgrade to the Sony DVP-NS700P DVD player with progressive scan. As others have told me not too. Of course I want the best quailty picture to go along with the 36XBR450 television and the best audio.
    Should I upgrade to the progessive scan model? Will I notice the difference in picture and audio quailty?
    Thank you,
    -Sarah[​IMG]

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Audio quality will be a product of whatever receiver (or processor) and speakers you get. It won't be affected by the presence or absence of progressive scan.
    Progressive scan is desireable for video quality, but not essential. You're getting a TV that should be able to take advantage of progressive scan; so if there's no significant extra cost or other negative, it's probably worth it. But it's not essential. On that TV, you should get an excellent picture even from a non-progressive scan player.
    M.

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

4. Sarah Lynn

Sarah Lynn Auditioning

Michael, Vince..

Thank you very much for the information.. Very detail and well informed it was.

Yes, I am also in the market for a receiver. I have narrow it down between the Sony ES STR-DA5ES and the Sony ES STR-DA3ES. There is a three hundred dollar difference between the two and I am not really sure if the DA5ES model is worth the extra three hundred.

Sony STR-DA3ES includes;

three 32-bit processors for surround decoding (Dolby Digital, DTS, 6.1, Pro Logic), Virtual Matrix 6.1, and Digital Cinema Sound

3-room/2-source capability (A/V preamp out for 2nd room; stereo speaker out for 3rd room)

learning/multibrand remote with macros

100 watts x 6 into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.05% THD

7.1-channel and 5.1-channel inputs

7.1-channel preamp output

digital inputs: 4 optical, 2 coaxial

component video switching: 2 in, 1 out (50MHz bandwidth)

4 audio, 5 A/V (including 1 A/V behind the flip-down front panel, and 5 S-video) inputs

optical digital output

192kHz/24-bit DACs

7.1/5.1/2CH analog direct

on-screen display

aluminum front panel

Sf (S-fin) heat sinks

Control A1ii & Control

S 17"W x 6-3/4"H x 19-7/8"D