What's new

Just Wonderin'? - DPL-2 = Audio Colorization...? (1 Viewer)

J

John Morris

If OAR is your thing. And you'd hate to see movies like Casablanca colorized, then why in the world do you think that using a DSP like DPL-2 during playback of a mono or two channel movie is a good idea?
Hey, technology is gonna advance and if we want the "X gen" folks to watch and enjoy these movies... we gotta somehow mold them to todays technology...? Is that the rationale?
I just don't get it? What do you think? Is preservation of art and film limited to the visual only?[confused]
------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
DFAST, 5C, DVI, HDCP, SafeAudio, Macrovision and Lewinski!!!

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
John: I guess I tend to see any changes in audio the same as video changes. But what I'm referring to as changes would be improved decoding, clearer pictures, improved bass response, etc. IOW, anything that improves the home theater experience by getting us closer to the best of commercial theaters. Some specific examples would be widescreen TVs, DPL II, subwoofers, etc.
IMO, what ISN'T a good change would be permanent "messing" with movies that end up colorized from b&w and cropped to pan and scan from their original aspect ratio.
As for your DPL II question, IMO it is a natural extension of where matrix decoding should be. All of the movies I own that are true stereo mixes (both VHS and DVD) are intended to be played back in surround. None are mixed for just 2 speakers only. (Of course that doesn't mean you can't use just 2 speakers if budget or space require it.) It's my understanding that DPL II does not make surround out of mono (I haven't tested it though...does it)??
------------------

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
DPL2 is not really a DSP mode in the usual sense, as it doesn't add anything artificial to the signal. DSP modes usually create artificial reverb to simulate different listening environments. DPL2 does NOT create anything that isn't already there in the source -- It merely positions the sound and extracts existing ambience. I don't really see this as tampering with the original intent of the mixer/artist. In fact, from my experience so far with DPL2 it actually brings out subtleties of mixes that are usually obscured in direct stereo.

David Judah

Screenwriter
I prefer to listen to a movie in the configuration it was mixed for, but I don't mind content providers making a surround mix from existing elements of older movies(seperate issue, I know).
As Chuck mentioned, 2 channel Dolby Surround tracks are designed to have the additional channels extracted by a Pro-logic decoder anyways, and since DPL-II is an improvement on that system, it shouldn't offend your purist sensibilities. :)
DJ

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Well from of the Logic 7 perspective, I agree with Jeremy, nothing is added like reverberation or anything like that. It takes the existing sound that would naturally register as ambieant sound and send it to, I believe, where it's intended to be in the rear. Each channel in stereo has it's seperate sound that would fit this category hence the 5.1 simulation DPL 2 and Logic 7 offers. I've done some listening of material originally in Pro-logic, Star Wars, Independance Day (before the DVD) and found that the sound directed to the rear by DPL 2 or Logic 7 was pretty convincing to me and not like a form of modification of the original sound. IMHO
------------------
If loving Home Theater is
wrong, I don't want to be
right!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks