Just won a 30" Philips

Discussion in 'Displays' started by BenKof, Mar 2, 2005.

1. BenKof

BenKof Agent

LCD ... question is: will it be big enough? My TV sits about 10-12 feet from the couch and while my current 27" is okay, the 30" flat panel seems - i don't know - smaller. I also have to opportunity to sell it and upgrade to a 32" for about $600, but is it worth the hassle? The other option is to suck it up for a year and buy a 42" when prices dip.

2. John S

John S Producer

10' to 12'???? Man, I say in the 50"+ range minimum.

3. BenKof

BenKof Agent

That's what I was scared of .. just walked over to BestBuy to look at the 30" and it's pretty small. 32" doesn't make much difference either.

4. John S

John S Producer

I use a 60" at 10' and even less at some of the seating positions. I would not want much smaller, as many 2.35:1 movies, just get rather small as it is.

5. PerryD

PerryD Supporting Actor

I remember when we got our first 27" TV back in 1986. I had to stand at the back of the room (15ft away) because the image seemed so big compared to the 19" we had for many many years.

6. BenKof

BenKof Agent

One thing I forgot to mention ... this isn't a "proper" home theater. Meaning, it's in the (smallish) living room in my New York City apartment. We're not talking about Tony Soprano here. I think 60" would blind my neighbors.

7. John S

John S Producer

Well, mine is in a living room, but it is a house. lol

Once you get whatever size screen, after a short time, it doesn't seem that big anymore. Just human nature I think.

8. BenKof

BenKof Agent

Yeah, that's a good point. Either way, it'll be an improvement over my old Sony.