What's new

Just when I think I'm through buying stuff... (1 Viewer)

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
I discover tone generators and find absolutely crazy readings in my HT room... ie, need for a parametric equalizer.
Before I open that can of worms, can someone direct me to a faq or site where I can learn how to properly evaluate my room?
I created a test tone CD starting at 10 Hz/10 sec sine wave tone, and incremented by 5 Hz to 100 Hz.. then incremented by 10 Hz to 200 Hz, then 220, 440, 880, 1760, etc. for 3 more steps.
I have no idea if that's too coarse or fine nor what volume level to run this test CD. A brief test tonight before the WAF became a problem showed peaks/vallys upwards of 20 dB in my 11.5 x 12 x 8 room with HW floors.
I've seen the posts recommending the trial software which runs on a PC. But my PC is hardly mobile and is about 35 feet away from my listening position. Is that workable?
------------------
--RR

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Yes,
www.spectraplus.com
Use a 40-50ft run of shielded cable to connect your RS SPL meter to the appropriate soundcard input.
Set the RS meter in your seat(as close to ear level as possible)...and run some basic freq sweeps. If you set the sweep to repeat, you can sit at the monitor and watch the response in real time.
Try all the key seats too.
Having a friend over to help you couldn't hurt either.(instead of walking back and forth all night. Spectra will allow you to save 5 different 2-D traces of the room's response. You can also waterfall it's decay, and RT60 it too.
It will take you a few hours to figure out all the settings, but IMO...it will be the most important few hours of tweaking you can ever do for your A/V hobby.
spectra is also a fullfunction tone generator too, assuming your sound card is full duplex.
TV

Elliott_P

Agent
Does the software come with detailed docs on how to interpret all of the data that it produces?
Is there a site somewhere, maybe, that describes which tests to run and how to read and interpret the data and most importantly, how to fix things that need to be fixed?
I may be a bit dense but, honestly, looking at the plots just makes my brain freeze up since I don't really know what it is I am looking at.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I'm through buying stuff
That's a good one.
laugh.gif

------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the input, Tom. I'm coming to the understanding of just how important this tweak can be.
------------------
--RR

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Elliot, if you buy the software is does come with a nice manual.
I'm not sure what's available for DL at the site(manual wise).
TV

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
Tom,

I just came across this thread I started 2 1/2 months ago.. and just after I stopped at the Ratshack and picked up a 50 ft run of Rca to RCA speaker wire and a 1/8 adapter for my SB Live value card so I could hook up my SPL meter to my sound card via the line input jack.

Have I wasted $10 on this cable since it's not shielded? I am NOT inclined to drag my PC into the HT room.

I got a copy of ETF today, but haven't played with it enough yet to make any sense out of it.

I may try a copy of Spectra+... but which one (W2k)? 132, 232, 332, or 432?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks