Just when I gave up on something new

Discussion in 'Music' started by Grant B, Jun 30, 2003.

1. Grant B

Grant B Producer

For the last few years I have felt like there has been nothing new in music
    Old bands beating that old dead horse
    New bands trying to sound like old bands before they started beating that poor dead horse
    I think it might have hit me hearing RED NEXS - Techno -hillbilly fusion; that everything new and different was already done
    I saw the White Stripes live and I have faith in music once again
    Even though I listened to their records, live they stand out... they are as original as Robert Johnson ,Beatles or Sex Pistols.
    Too bad 3 bands played after them.... it reminded me of the tour when The Who opened for the Monkees
    Anyways if you get a chance, see them. They are the real thing!

2. LawrenceK

LawrenceK Stunt Coordinator

I've seen them twice now, once at The Warfield, and once at BFD. Both times they were outstanding, though they clearly preferred playing at The Warfield. Great great live performance, one of the best I've seen.

3. Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm Supporting Actor

Mikael Söderholm
    Well, I saw them last year (they opened for David Bowie in Norway) and I must say that I was not that impressed. Sure they're original, in a way, but also quite limited in their way of expression, there are only so many things you can do with one guitar and a drumset, and they did them again and again [​IMG] one hour was more than enough for me. Maybe it's unfair to judge a band after only one show and maybe I should give them another chance, but I don't think I'll pay for it again, but rather borrow an album from a friend...

4. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

I saw them last night. They sounded great but Jack doesn't interact with the crowd at all. He spoke to the audience 3 times for a total of maybe 15 words. I don't necessarily expect showmanship but it would be nice to see some personality at the very least.

The other odd thing was that he and his stage hand kept messing around with effect pedals, amps, and guitars. At one point Jack got so frustrated he left the stage for 10 minutes while the engineers re-calibrated everything. There was no apology to the audience for pausing the show and no special anything added to the performance to make up for it.

Still, when they were playing they were fantastic. Despite a couple bummer points from the show I'd gladly go see them again.

5. Grant B

Grant B Producer

LawrenceK
    Cool. the Warfield would have been great but I missed it.
    I can imagine a band like that has ups and downs; they are to extreme not to. Bands that always repeat the same show never have the highs and lows but they play it safe.
    Anyways I would love to see them again and see how the progress or ......

6. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

G- I want a bass player. [​IMG]

Bass, guitar, drums: seems like the minimum to me. Keyboards, not necesary but adds to it. Anyone remember House of Freaks? Guitar and drums has been done before...

7. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

8. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Camp - What's your problem? I stated my opinion. I like the White Stripes. Just that a lot of people think that a band with no bass player is novel, when it really isn't. Another one: the Spinanes. I like them too. [​IMG]

9. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Hey Kevin hows it going?
    At shorline it didn't even feel like they needed a bass player. I understand your comment...Dammit I want something coming out of my subwoofer!!!

10. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

11. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Camp- I know Grant. Get a life.