What's new

Just what the world needs: Another Rocky release! (1 Viewer)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
They had to drop the DTS track for space reasons as there are 3 commentary tracks on this version is my guess. Also the DTS track sounded no different than the DD track on the last version and in one scene was slightly out of sync! (where Mick visits Rock in his apt...) Rocky was not the most dynamic sounding film so dropping the DTS is no big deal IMHO, it's not GLADIATOR...
And I recall people complaining about the last Rocky disc (DTS one with no extras) that the framing was wrong, too tight with the left side cropped. Until I see screencaps I will doubt that this is a new transfer. The packaging doesn't mention it, they just DID a new HD one 2 years ago so what would this make like the 3rd transfer?!?!? Doubtful. I'm sure it's the 2004 version. Someone get some screencaps!!!!

:)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Since I only care about the video transfer, I'll just keep my 2004 version (which I only paid $7.50) until I see proof this new version actually looks better.

Adam Santangelo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Santangelo
For what it's worth, the "video commentary" with Stallone on this set (I'm assuming it's there, since I haven't actually popped the disc in yet) is one of the better DVD extras I've ever seen. It's just a short piece with present day Stallone speaking to the camera, but he comes across as surprisingly honest and self-aware, and it's a moving little clip. When I saw this was ported over to the new disc (it wasn't in the specs listed above), I double-dipped.

For anyone that cares about this stuff, btw, visit Ain't It Cool News to see Stallone personally answering 10 questions a day from his fans (for the whole month of December, leading up to Rocky Balboa) about all aspects of his career. It's getting more candid and funny by the day.

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
There's no guarantee that the next box set will include the 2 disc SE of Rocky or the new movie other than a single disc version. It could see the same type of lame features along the lines Rambo Ultimate Edition set had. I like the specs on the SE (and the free ticket :) ), I'm not interested in getting extras with the sequels, I just want the movies. As for Rocky Balboa, depending on how much I like it, I might just buy a single disc release or a 2 disc, if I buy it at all.

Brian Little

Stunt Coordinator

So what is this with those extended "Lord Of The Rings" having 3 commentary tracks plus somehow DTS fits on the disc? Sorry, but to me its a bad excuse to drop the DTS track. And that sync issue can easily be fixed.

Sorry, but to me its a slight downgrade. I'll stick with the previous release. The framing issue from the screencaps isn't that bad. Its not like the fiasco with the "Back To The Future" sequals where it IS noticeable.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
]

I bet you $5 that there will be a six-film "Rocky" box set that includes the new 2-disc SE.

Seriously, if I'm wrong I'll either PayPal you the five bucks or send you a $5 bill in the mail.

I could be wrong, but MGM titles are distributed by Fox now. Look at their recent "Omen" box set. I think we'll probably get the new 2-disc "Rocky", whatever individual release "Balboa" gets and the latest discs for 2-5.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Brian, the extended LOTR flicks also had the movie split over 2 discs. Very often (like with the SE of Gladiator) they will drop a DTS track.
Also Rocky is 1:77 (or 1:85...) to 1 ratio. LOTR is 2:35-1. More picture info, (meaning more bits needed) for the transfer for Rocky since there are no black bars encoded...
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare7/rocky.htm
According to DVDBeaver.com the last (DTS) release of Rocky had a pretty high average bitrate transfer, 7.74. That is REALLY good! I believe that is higher than the LOTR EE discs. There is No way that they would have that high a transfer if they had a DTS track, a DD 5.1 trk, the original mono trk, a french, a spanish one. and 3 commentary tracks. If they did, the video would have taken a hit. 7 audio tracks? That's insane. Something had to give.

Also I have listened pretty closely to the DTS and the DD tracks on the last disc. I can't hear any difference. There is such a small dynamic range and so little surround or SW activity that I don't see it as a big loss, but that's just me. It's a low budget film for the mid-70's that was originally in mono..DVDBeaver wrote...
"The NTSC's DTS audio track appears weak and a pointless addition..."
Besides the purists want the original mono anyways...

DVDtalk.com's review...

"With the specifications out of the way, how do the movies sound? Well, there's really not much difference at all between the Dolby Digital 5.1 mix and the DTS 5.1 mix on the first film. Neither one of the mixes really does a whole lot with the rear channels, not surprising considering that the film was shot in mono (thankfully the original mix is here as well)..."

DVDAuthority's review...

"An optional DTS track is included on "Rocky", though improvements over the Dolby Digital track are negligible at best..."
and yes, a DTS sync issue on a track is easy to correct but how often do these things gett corrected? West Side Story hasn't been corrected with "Tonight" being out of sync on the last DVD. Moulin Rouge had a DTS issue, Star Wars has the flipped music surrounds still....

Considering that you get a free ticket (worth $10 or so) to the new film it's a pretty good deal IMHO... I plan on keeping my old copy and compare.

:)

but what do I know...

Eric Gripp

Agent
I guess I'm confused. Some reviews are saying that the original mono is included on the new Rocky Collectors Edition. But Amazon doesn't list that in their specs for the disc. Mono French and Spanish, but not English. So is the original mono English on there?

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Eric, I THINK it's included. Could have sworn I saw it on the back of the box in the vid store but I might be mistaken. If I'm wrong I'm eating crow (with BBQ sauce!!!) about the release.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

He's full of shit.

ROCKY Anthology Version:

[url=http://aycu19.webshots.com/image/5858/2005288502136260427_th.jpg] [/url]

ROCKY: Collector's Edition:

[url=http://aycu20.webshots.com/image/8459/2005232068237793992_th.jpg] [/url]

ROCKY Anthology Version (apologies for the subtitle capture, my error):

[url=http://aycu05.webshots.com/image/7244/2005238552448427662_th.jpg] [/url]

ROCKY: Collector's Edition:

[url=http://aycu10.webshots.com/image/8689/2005279428129104103_th.jpg] [/url]

The good news--they use the same clean, bright transfer (miles better than the dirty, battered print used for the earlier ROCKY: 25th Anniversary Special Edition). The bad news--they are still zoomed in/cropped from the full image as shown on the ROCKY: 25th Anniversary Special Edition.

Brian Little

Stunt Coordinator
Looks like the same framing on both DVDs. Until this new release hits below $10 I'll stick to the one I got already.

And Dave despite what the reviews says the DTS track does have a slight improvement on the high end. Slight yes but noticeable. Then again it must be my imagination playing tricks on me there. ;)

Eric Gripp

Agent
I was looking at the specs on the new Rocky Anthology and it has "original mono" as an option for Rocky. If it's the same exact transfer as the Collectors Edition, isn't it likely it's the same movie only disc?

Adam Santangelo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Santangelo
There is an English mono track. I just popped my disc in to check. It's on the menu as "English Mono" and it seems to playback as two-channel mono.

Jean Paul is correct, though, that this option isn't listed on the back cover.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

The actual film or video transfer and menu system are two different things.

I watched the 2004 version last night. Is it just me, but do the colors seem overly saturated and pumped up too much? In addition, there is edge enhancement clearly visible in some scenes. Does the earlier version have these issues? I seem to remember the colors looking more natural before.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks