What's new

Just what IS Anime? (incl. recommendations for newbies) (1 Viewer)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
For some insight into the shows, dOc has a number of anime reviews , many by yours truly, and of course Chris has a ton at animeondvd.com . Jeff Kleist also has reviews (link in his sig above).
Generalised recommendations are tough, as there is such a wide variety of subjects and styles available. I thought there would be a lot that I wouldn't like, such as the mecha stuff, but so far I have met little I didn't enjoy to some extent, though often in different ways.
------------------
Link Removed | Burt Lancaster is Link Removed | dOc

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
A couple of articles on Chris' sites mentioned "parallel worlds" and "trans-dimensional portals" as sometimes found in Anime.
Any particular recommendations if that sounds interesting?

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
I ultimately have to push for Nadia...39 episodes of pure delight...directed by Hideaki Anno, character designed by Yoshiyuki Sadamoto, and aired in 1989 in Japan. A truly great series that is worth every attention it can get. :)
Parallel Worlds...
That would be like El Hazard OVA Boxset coming out soon...and Tenchi Muyo stuff, as well as Dual which is a funny show (a mix/blend of Tenchi and Evangelion).
[Edited last by Kong Chang on August 01, 2001 at 01:47 PM]

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
I just want to point out that there is a big anime thread already... talking about everything that is being talked about in this thread. I just don't see the need for having 2 threads going, that are basically talking about the same stuff.
Here is the link to the first page
21 Page Anime Thread Already In Progress
Not meaning to sound rude or anything... just thought that I would point this out.
Andrew
------------------
ICQ# - 119869807

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I don't think I could recommend the Tenchi movies as a place to start, since there is a lot of background that you are better off knowing before getting into the movies. The OVAs IMO are the place to start. You get introductions to everyone, and things will make a lot more sense in the movies, though some of Universe would be good before the movies as well, as there is an additional cast member added in Universe who is also in the films.
------------------

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Ken Stuart,
I had read what you wrote, so don't accuse me of being rude by saying that I haven't read your previous post. I don't much appreciate that.
This thread is starting off in much the same fashion that the 21 page thread started off. An anime discussion for newbies basically. Just for people to find out what is good/bad, etc. The 21 page thread started off that way, and turned into what it is now.
All I was trying to get accross was that if this thread turns into what the 21 page thread is like(which is bound to happen, I'm sure), then it would be pretty pointless having 2 threads talking about the same thing.
I just think that it will be a little hard to keep otaku talk in one thread, and newbie stuff in this one. At some point things will start getting crossed over, and you'll have two threads with the same stuff.
Andrew
------------------
ICQ# - 119869807

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
Okay, your briefer previous comment sounded like you just saw this thread title near the top of the list and just posted without reading that there was another thread.
I understand what you are saying now, but what I think happened in the first anime thread is that it was the only thread on anime at all, so that everyone who wanted to discuss advanced details saw it as something that the other anime fans would be reading, so they posted their questions there - even if it had nothing to do with recommendations.
If there were to now be two threads that are clearly identified by the title, then the discussions (newbie and advanced) would stay separate, just as they do in - for example - the HT Hardware Forum and the HT Advanced Forum.
[Edited last by Ken Stuart on August 01, 2001 at 04:00 PM]

Michael Hofferica

Auditioning
Hi everyone,
I just recently got the Akira (tin edition) and i liked it a lot..before that my only real experience to anime was the classic Star Blazers series...so my real question are there any other anime movies or series which are somewhat similar to Star Blazers in an exploration of space type vein that this show was?? Any recommendations would be appreciated...
mike

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
what I think happened in the first anime thread is that it was the only thread on anime at all, so that everyone who wanted to discuss advanced details saw it as something that the other anime fans would be reading, so they posted their questions there - even if it had nothing to do with recommendations.
If there were to now be two threads that are clearly identified by the title, then the discussions (newbie and advanced) would stay separate, just as they do in - for example - the HT Hardware Forum and the HT Advanced Forum.
Fair enough. I guess we need to get the moderators to change the subject lines of the 2 threads then, and hope people follow the thread title with what they post :)
Andrew
------------------
ICQ# - 119869807

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Ken,
You must start with the OVA series of Tenchi Muyo. That is the initial series. The two TV series don't follow each other nor the 1st OVA series. The "in Love" movies (Movie #1 and #3) follow the first Tenchi TV series, and movie #2 follows the 2nd TV series.
A 3rd OVA series will start this year and will continue the traditional OVA storyplot that was left hanging for over several years.
---
Michael,
If you like Space Operas, I highly recommend Legend of Galactic Heroes (which is only available as a fansub, no domestic rights have been garnered for this series). For stuff that is distributed in the U.S., that is a space opera like Space Cruiser Yamato (aka Star Blazers as it is known in the U.S.), hmm, that's hard to say...mostly anything by Leiji Matsumoto, including Galaxy Express 999 and Queen Esmeralda and even the Harlock stuff...but Mobile Suit Gundam is very space operatic as well as mecha...Nadesico makes fun of the whole space opera and mecha battles and was a series that came out in the 90's. Naturally, my mind is blanking on other space opera series, but if LoGH was out, that is one I highly recommend you watch (all 4 series, all 104 episodes...50 minutes per episode (roughly) + 2/3 movies + side stories OVA and movies and others).

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Why are people so keen on having 40-page threads? They're just a pain to go through. People should just set up threads like "How to start watching Tenchi" or "Why Ghost In The Shell Is Cool" for those of us without the time or patience to go through the monster threads. :)

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
Why are people so keen on having 40-page threads? They're just a pain to go through. People should just set up threads like "How to start watching Tenchi" or "Why Ghost In The Shell Is Cool" for those of us without the time or patience to go through the monster threads.
Two words: speed reading
wink.gif

------------------
I am Jack's Signature

"Here's to us poor schmoes, working for the man. Even if he is a hot, sexy female man."
"But as a gentleman, I must warn you, if you so much as glance at another woman, I'll be on her like a fly on a pile of very seductive manure."

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
This thread is starting off in much the same fashion that the 21 page thread started off. An anime discussion for newbies basically. Just for people to find out what is good/bad, etc. The 21 page thread started off that way, and turned into what it is now.
All I was trying to get accross was that if this thread turns into what the 21 page thread is like(which is bound to happen, I'm sure), then it would be pretty pointless having 2 threads talking about the same thing.
Andy,
I couldn't have said it better myself. The other anime thread does at time delve into just a "chat between otakus", but what has been posted in this thread so far is an almost exact replica of what we have been talking about in the other thread.
What usually happens is either a newbie comes on and asks what shows are good, and we answer, or one of us "otakus" takes the initiative and writes up a little mini-review/recommendation for a new show we just finished.
If anything, this new thread is just a sequel to the other one.
But, since this is an Anime Recommendation page, here's my completely objective and unquestionably right list:
MOVIES
Akira
Ghost in the Shell
Perfect Blue
Wings of Honneamise
Princess Mononoke
Castle of Cagliostro
SERIES/OVA/OAV
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Cowboy Bebop
Outlaw Star
Trigun
Escaflowne
Macross Plus (OVA)
Rurouni Kenshin - Trust & Betrayal (OVA)
SERIES I'VE ONLY SEEN PART OF BUT LOVE SO FAR
Gasaraki
Crest of the Stars
You're Under Arrest (my guilty pleasure)
Tenchi Muyo (original OVA)
Record of Lodoss War (OVA)
------------------
I am Jack's Signature

"Here's to us poor schmoes, working for the man. Even if he is a hot, sexy female man."
"But as a gentleman, I must warn you, if you so much as glance at another woman, I'll be on her like a fly on a pile of very seductive manure."

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Hmm, I just want to recommend two series that I don't think have been mentioned here yet. They are Revolutionary Girl Utena and Magic Knight Rayearth (now I just have to find the money to buy season 2 of Rayearth)
I totally loved both, it's just too bad that the remainder of Utena TV has yet to come out.
And just to further what some people have all ready suggested, try out Gasaraki and Escaflowne. Two of the very best series' in my opinion!
TTYL
Andrew
------------------
ICQ# - 119869807

Chris Beveridge

Second Unit
For parallel world style stuff, I'd definitely recommend the 4 volume series from Pioneer called Dual. It's definitely an interesting excersice in multiple worlds with different twists. It's also very recent, so it's got some shiny looking animation.
------------------
Chris Beveridge
Webmaster, www.animeondvd.com
Animation and stories for those who like to think outside of the Disney box

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
Joe_C :
Your list is exactly what is needed. What people need to remember is that nowadays, there is a large quantity of items available in every genre of film and music.
Naturally, your list differs from other people's and in fact, it would be interesting to see the perspective of other HTF members in this form.
Also try renting part of a series first, and purchase when you're done.
That's exactly what I am doing. I have a "Lite" membership at both Netflix and RMD. The main thing I have to put up with is widely varying availability. For example, Ninja Scroll is vitually impossible to get at either site. But, this morning, Netflix selected Neon Genesis Evangelion 0:1 out of my list, even though there was some other stuff apparently available ahead of it. So fate has decreed I will see it.
By the way, I hope that "0:1" is the very first volume !
And in fact, at this point, the most confusing part is where to start with any particular "series". For example, I've heard not to start with the Tenchi movies, but the original OVA is not available for rent, and thus I think that - given circumstances - renting Tenchi Universe #1 would be best, especially considering that it "starts over". But, that conclusion goes against the recommendations.
Chris' site is very helpful for fans, but the primer is still inadequate for newbies, and none of the links in it are very good either.
A FAQ could easily be put together in a short time, including info such as what I've learned recently - " In almost every case, don't start with the movie. "

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Regarding Tenchi: While Universe "starts over" it does so in a completely different fashion than the OVAs, which is cool unto itself, I would still recommend starting with the OVAs, even if that means buying them, as I doubt you will be sorry you did so.
------------------

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I just picked up the special edition of Akira on DVD, and I am 90% happy with it. I LOVE this movie! Only problem is, they re-dubbed the english language for the remastering, and the translations are not the same as the original. This bugs me, but the rest of the sound is incredible, and I won't knock this movie. Don't bother renting it, JUST BUY IT. Same with Ghost in the Shell.
My personal favorite series/ova:
Neon Genesis, Cowboy Bebop, Bubblegum Crisis
------------------
All progress is based upon a universal, inate desire on the part of every organism, to live beyond it's income.
ITRCA ** Honda/Acura Club ** Link Removed (sorry, car guy)
[Edited last by John Garcia on August 02, 2001 at 02:16 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks