Just watched "The Ninth Gate," this is why it's one of my favorites:

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by todd stone, Feb 11, 2002.

1. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

This movie intrigues me each time I watch it.

Johnny depp is the perfect actor for this role. His subtle voice tones and his keen actions reall ymake this movie progress..

The soundtrack. It has an old era feel to it, sherlock holmes, hitchcock style to it. Great music.

The cinematography. Amazing scenery shots, that make you feel like you are actually there at the exact moment. For example, the scene where Corso is investigating the 2 books, while the old man plays the violin, simply amazing. there is just something about the mood.

I feel this movie is one of Depps best works, that and ed wood.

2. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

I like many parts of this movie, but it sort of falls apart at the end.

I love the use of so many practical effects. I do agree that Depp works extremely well in the role, and even plays the age of the character quite well.

But there is just something about the final resolution that doesn't work for me. I know what's happening, but it doesn't seem like the right way to end it. I don't really know the right way to end it myself, but that just doesn't seem to be good.

A good film, otherwise.

3. Bill J

Bill J Producer

I enjoyed the film except that it really fell apart at the end.

4. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

The director himself, Roman, kinda felt he really didnt know how to end it. Tricky...

5. mark_d

mark_d Second Unit

Enjoyed the journey, but not the ending.

One little thing kept on bugging me - every time Depp opened a nigh-on priceless book, he spark up a cigarette. Was there some sort of gag that I missed?

Mark

6. Butch C

Butch C Second Unit

It is common practice in the rare book industry that when you open a priceless book made entirely of paper and leather that you light a cigarette, silly!

No really I have no idea why depp lights a cigarette and pours a drink every freakin second that hes not spouting dialog...the film blew btw

7. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

If you enjoyed the story, do yourself a favor and grab the book on which the movie was based: "The Club Dumas" by Arturo Perez-Reverte (I think I spelled that right!). One of my all-time favorite books, and it actually got me reading several other of his works, including the excellent "The Flanders Panel", and the pretty good "The Fencing Master", and the merely okay "The Seville Communion". But "The Club Dumas" is my favorite of his books, and if you liked the movie, I think you will love the book.
    Unfortunately, reading the book doesn't help to clear up the rather incomprehensible movie ending... [​IMG]

8. Ushabye

Ushabye Projectionist

Paul
    Can somebody post their ideas on the ending as I'm a might confused!

9. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

what is all your takes on who the girl was, as you see her floating down the stairs. A disciple for the devil himself?

Also, who do you think set the barroness place on fire and also drowned the old man? The black guy with the platinum blonde hair or Boris himself?

ps. butch c, maybe the film BLEW for you, but not me. And how about telling us WHY it blew.

10. mark_d

mark_d Second Unit

I think this was a moments movie. For example, the afforementioned scene with the woman floating down the steps - fantastic. I can live with movies like that.

I didn't get the ending, though. More viewings are probably required, and I didn't find it that compelling...

Mark

11. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

Like many of you, I thought Polanski's The Ninth Gate was superb...up to the last 10 minutes or so! The ending was a huge let-down after such stellar exposition and development. And yes, Wojciech Kilar's score is perfect (he also scored Bram Stoker's Dracula).

SPOILERS AHEAD!!!!!!!!

Regarding the ending, my conclusion is that the girl is one of Satan's subjects who "protects" and guides Corso on his journey, because Satan wanted Corso and not Boris Balkan to unlock the gate. After all, Corso was far from a "good guy!"

12. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

but if corso is a GOOD GUY why does satan want him instead of boris?

13. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

Corso is NOT a "good guy." Satan obviously sees more potential evil in Corso than in Boris Balkan.

14. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

*Spoilers*
    I thought the girl was Satan. She wanted to have Corso, and so helped him to complete the quest. I have no idea what she saw in him, but obviously she felt him worthy of the gift.
    I have to wonder exactly what the "gift" ended up being. Going to Hell? Meeting the devil? Going to another plane of existence. It just doesn't seem as though it was something he would go for outside of a feeling of curiosity or the pull of destiny?
    BTW, I peg Boris as being the killer of the other owners. He certainly feels at home doing it when we see him at the gathering.

15. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

what about the part in the bedroom, where corso and the girl are staring at each other and she smears the blood on his forehead, it's as if he saw something in her eyes......

16. Chris_Anders

Chris_Anders Stunt Coordinator

This movie had one of the worst....endings.....ever. Period.

Just absolutely no payoff what so ever, I actually enjoyed the movie untill the end, then I almost threw my vcr out the window. Any movie that pisses me off in the end is a dud in my book. A bad ending will always ruin a decent, good or great movie IMO. And because of its lack luster ending, NG is, in fact, a pooper.

17. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

chris, by you saying just the ending was bad , that makes the whole movie bad?????? you said you enjoyed the movie until the ednding. That makes no sense to me at all

18. Jeremy Illingworth

Jeremy Illingworth Supporting Actor

I thought it was excellent until the end as well. Here are some questions and ideas I have about the film.

How did Boris get old man Telfer to give him his wifer's copy? I'm guessing that he found out what she did with and was horrified. He couldn't go on and wanted the book away from her.

The girl (RP's wife). Obviously, who is she? I like the devil idea, and she wants Corso to open the gate, not Boris. She twice mentions she is 'something like a student'. Is she studying them to she which she prefers?

Why would Boris rip out the engravings and burn the two other texts? I'm thinking maybe the authentic one, being how the devil is involved and survived the fires in 16xx, is thought to be fire proof. The discolouration on Boris' copy, as noted by Fargas, is where Boris held a candle to it to test it, which is how he got the idea to get Corso to authenticate it.

As for the final engraving being at the Ceniza brothers' book shop, I think they at one time had the only authentic copy of the book and realized the power it contained. The forged two additional copies and divided up the authentic engravings to protect against use, keeping the final one seperate still for more safety.

And not that it really matters, but the baroness is the only one who doesn't smoke and drink around these priceless books and Boris is the only collector who stores his books in any sort of archival manner.

What do you think?

jeremy

19. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

20. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

I just recently saw this and enjoyed it immensely. I also showed it to my parents who were visiting and they also enjoyed it, including the much maligned ending.
    *spoilers*
    The girl is the devil. She marked Corso with her blood and at that point chose him. I don't see a disciple or minion doing that. Also, at one point note the book she was reading "How to win friends and influence people" [​IMG]
    As for the ending, I saw it as the gates of hell opening to let great power flow into Corso. As others have said, Corso was not ever a good person.