Just watched Magnolia for the first time...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom Ryan, Jun 13, 2002.

1. Tom Ryan

Tom Ryan Screenwriter

Whoaaaaaa that's a lot of sad, needy people.....what was the deal with the frogs? Symbolic of the people of earth having lost their way, God punishing them with another plague? And did Paul Thomas Anderson's dad really screw him up as a kid? Seemed like a lot of terrible fathers in this film. But it was very good [​IMG].
    -Tom

2. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Hey Tom, there is a lot of references to the Bible...even though in Magnolia they use the F-bomb quite a bit!

We see the 82 degrees icon on the screen and other 82 references. What I read a few years back on another fan site was this referred to Exodus 8:2 "if you do not let them go, I will release a plague of frogs on you"...

I suppose only P.T. Anderson can really explain all this. I think this refers to forgiveness or letting go of bitterness/hatred? There were several threads on this forum too. You might try a search and find out more info and hidden meanings.

In my opinion, Magnolia was the best film of the year for '99. It's a difficult film, but very powerful.

3. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I'm also a big fan of Magnolia.
    Numerous times PTA has said that he wasn't thinking of the bible when he wrote the script...he just wanted to put a rain of frogs in there...and found out about the bible later. It was then that he tried to put as many Exodus 8:2 references in there as possible. My favorite is in the crowd at the game show...someone is holding up a big sign [​IMG]
    Some people think the film is too pretentious...and it may be, but I watched it a couple weeks ago, and it hadn't lost any power for me. It shows how good a movie with good direction, good acting, and a good story can be. It always amazes me how suspenseful it feels for about the last hour and a half...I would have never expected a "talking heads" movie to be so suspenseful.

4. Fred Bang

Fred Bang Stunt Coordinator

I also saw the movie for the first time two days ago... and bought it yesterday. It's an amazing movie, incredibly well done, and well acted. you can also see the entire Mackey infomercial on the DVD. It's hilarious.

5. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

If you read up on Forteana (i.e., weird shit), you'll find that periodically there are rains of frogs, rocks, fish and other anomalous things. The best guess is that they're swept up in a water spout and carried far off by strong winds, but it's still kind of creepy. Doesn't have to be connected to the Bible, though.

6. Mike St.Louis

Mike St.Louis Supporting Actor

Funny thing is, Magnolia is a film that I hated the first time I saw it.

I picked up the DVD, though, because it had a lingering affect on me. Since seeing it on DVD I now love the film and agree it was the best film of 1999. I have seen it several times now.

Excellent score as well.

7. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

My brother recommended this to me and I loved it. The whole section of the movie where the camera doesn't stop moving was extremely well done.

8. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S

9. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor