What's new

Just watched Das Boot for the first time... (1 Viewer)

Ross L

Auditioning
...Now I know just how depressing a flic can be. Think I'm gonna need a therapist.
frown.gif

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
For crying out loud, don't see Angela's Ashes..
Spoiler:I ran out of fingers and toes counting their misfortunes..

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
Last night I watched DAS BOOT for the 1st time as well, in its director's cut version. Although I thought it was appropriately dark, I didn't exactly find it "depressing". An anti-war film, which this one is in some ways , has to be dark and end on a down note. That's a must for the genre.
However, I have to say I did find BOOT, at 3 hours and 25 minutes or something, way too long. I have not seen the theatrical version originally released in the US but, at approximately an hour shorter, I imagine it would be a better film.
And I think ANGELA'S ASHES is a far more humorous film, with a lighter ending and much more rousing in spirit. I can't see how they can be compared.
------------------
Gerardo

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
It is long, but I thought it was an excellent movie (I have the Dir Cut DVD too) Doesn't hurt that I know some German ;-)
Brian

Ben_S

Agent
I had the opposite reaction. I couldn't get enought of it, I didn't want it to end! This has to be one of the finest crafted movies ever.

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
It's midnnight, and I should be in bed instead of writing this. Soon.
I saw both versions during their initial theatrical runs, and have each on disc (both on laser, and the director's on dvd as well). The longer version is truly better. Peterson conveys the tedium, briefly interrupted with death and destruction very well. The shorter version, while well done, doesn't take us for as long a ride. In experiencing that longer ride, we feel the mundane mix with the terrifying far more deeply.

Mike Friedrich

Stunt Coordinator
~ Das Boot is an excellent film on its particular subject matter [German U-Boat warfare].
Now if you want to see a rather depressing war film, not that I'm advocating depression by all means, watch the little known predecessor to *Enemy At The Gates* ...., *Stalingrad* on dvd. Created by the producers of *Das Boot*, low budget, but frightening realism !
bodymov'n
------------------
[Edited last by Mike Friedrich on August 13, 2001 at 06:40 AM]
[Edited last by Mike Friedrich on August 13, 2001 at 06:44 AM]

RodneyT

Stunt Coordinator
Excellent fil, either the original version or the Directors Cut. I find the DC a little better because you get to develop a lot more character in the film..... well thats my two cents.

cheers.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Wow, Stalingrad. they movie that will make you think "Hmmm.... why did I think Saving Private Ryan was original?"

Eric_B_C

Stunt Coordinator
I picked up Das Boot back in February, the directors cut (the double sided disk) but only watched it for the first time recently. I remember when it originally aired in the UK in mini-series form, but never saw it.

I was amazed. Fantastic film. So much better than the stuff Hollywood puts out. Gritty and visceral.

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
Das Boot was originally a made-for-TV miniseries hence the length.
Peterson wanted to get the viewer in the boat with the men. Get to know them, get to become one of them. The stedicam was developed for this movie and it really does help pull you into the story. When the men hear the alarm you run with them. When the boat goes silent, you're with them. Notice that every view in the film is from the point-of-view of someone on the boat. Remember the visit to the supply ship in Vigo? Entering that brightly-lit room full of delicious fresh food? Everything so clean? You feel just as out-of-place, just as dirty, just as tired, just as jaded as the men of the U-boat. It's a brilliant piece of film making. What's hard to grasp is that the miniseries format was used to draw viewers closer to the crew than you can during the movie. Like books that are read one chapter at a time, the nightly measured dose of Das Boot gave viewers time to think and bond with the crew. By the end we know who everyone of the main characters is and something about them.
I recall something really shocking when the film came out. In theaters here in the USA the last scene drew cheers from the older patrons, presumably people who had either been in or experienced the effects of World War 2, and gasps of sadness from the younger audience members. This film works on one level as an anti-war movie but only if you can grasp the context without having been subject to the reality of WW2 itself. Not having lived through WW2 or having lost anyone close to me because of it, I was horrified to find that some people just couldn't let go of their past. I cannot, however, blame them. WW2 must have been horrific for those who lived through it and absolute shit for those who fought in it. I don't pretend to grasp what they went through.
Yet Das Boot is a wonder of war film-making and it's great to see German cinema made with a nod to the glory that was once UFA. I say get the long version though I think the sound from the Director's Cut is much better. I will keep them both.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
My father (an engineer) worked on a captured U-boat during WWII and says that it is pretty realistic.

Given that U-boats killed thousands of merchant sailors and brought the UK to the brink of defeat through loss of merchant shipping, I can't say that any scene of U-boats being defeated is entirely sad. However, the series is good and you do end up feeling some sympathy for the crew.

David_Rivshin

Second Unit
I just watched Das Boot (got the DC) for the first time last week. I agree that it's a very good movie, and while I did notice abit of fatigue due to it's length (starting it at night after a full work day probably didn't help), I actually thought it could have used some more character development scenes. It could be that I just need to rewatch it, but there were some character development scenes where I didn't grasp the motivation or relationship between the characters. I assume this is because the backstory was filmed for the mini-series version and not included in the DC. I think I might pick up the uncut version at some point and see if that doesn't fill in the gaps.

Overall definitely a movie I'll recommend to friends who like the genre.

-- Dave

PS. I really wish people would stop using double-sided disks... They're quite inconvenient, and they'd be even more so with a changer.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Dave,

You should have purchased the "superbits" version of Das Boot. It's not a flipper, and the video quality is improved over the "very old" DC disc. All you miss out on is the documentary. I would suggest most people would prefer the superbit version, and maybe also pick up the full length TV version.

Eric_B_C

Stunt Coordinator
Listened to a bit, mainly to see if Wolfgang was listenable, and he is.

As for the documentary, you're not really missing much if you lose that. It's interesting, but nothing spectacular.

And I like flipper disks. (As I've said elsewhere, my DVD player has taken to hating a lot of layer switches because it's a piece of cheap Apex junk.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks