Just wanted to get some opinions on my collection...

Discussion in 'DVD' started by MichaelPR, Mar 16, 2004.

1. MichaelPR

MichaelPR Second Unit

Hey everyone! In 2003 I got out of college and entered the work force as a teacher for NYC school district. Needless to say most of my hard earned cash has been spent making some serious additions to my previously meager DVD collection. I have really been working on expanding my collection to include older and international films. I was curious if I could get some input on any additions you might make to my collection or what you think of my current selections. Thanks in advance! Here's the link

http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.ht...=mpalmieri1203

2. Bob Muir

Bob Muir Extra

You need Fifth Element Superbit Edition!

Is Bound HOT or what? [​IMG]

3. Bryan Ri

Bryan Ri Screenwriter

Bryan
    If you like Hitchcock, definately check out Rear Window. I'm very jealous of the toy story dvd. Seems like a solid collection to me.

Bryan

P.S. PM me with tips for an aspiring teacher [​IMG]

4. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Lots of good stuff, but needs more anime [​IMG]

5. Kevin Leonard

Kevin Leonard Supporting Actor

So far, your collection looks respectable--it seems you're focusing on quality, rather than quantity...though to be perfectly honest, there's quite a bit of stuff on there that I wouldn't want anywhere near my collection, but that is always inevitable once you compare and contrast.

Do you go to the theater often? If so, you can go to the 2004 Film List and find a member whose thoughts on new releases echo yours--if they have a link to their collection, go ahead and browse it; chances are the DVD's they own will be of interest to you. I've picked up a few great films based on seeing in somebody's collection. (Here is the link to the 2003 Film List.)

Alternately, you can always sign up with a rental service, a la Netflix, and try before you buy.

And how ever did you get ahold of the Matrix Revolutions DVD before everyone else? [​IMG]

6. MichaelPR

MichaelPR Second Unit

hey guys thanks for the advice! Deffinately enjoy anime but I have so few because the girlfriend dont watch it, family dont watch it, friends dont watch it. I like to try to keep my collection accessible. Or at least purchase things that my gf will watch with me (I dont enjoy film by myself too much). Bound is great! And the Matrix is on pre-order it snuck in by accident. I do have some questionable material: Jack Frost, Champ vs. Champ....those are mostly joke gifts from GF...hehe..Let me just say Adventures of Robin Hood great movie and disc!!! what do u guys think about the criterion Samurai trilogy...I have really enjoyed the kurowsowa samurai box! Thanks guys

7. ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA Screenwriter

I'm thinking of getting the Samurai Trilogy, Criterion will be releasing it in a box somewhere in the near future, don't remember the date.

8. dave wright

dave wright Agent

nice collection mike,
    how about
    citizen kane
    the third man
    vertigo
    the big lebowski
    sexy beast

just some of my faves------dave from jersey

9. Jacob McCraw

Jacob McCraw Stunt Coordinator

Very good, you have Brazil, Lost in Translation, School of Rock, Tenacious D AND House of 1,000 Corpses! But...
    You need:
    Once Upon a Time in the West
    Once Upon a Time in America
    Monty Python's Life of Brian Criterion
    Naked Lunch Criterion
    Traffic Criterion

10. MarkHarrison

MarkHarrison Supporting Actor

That's not a bad collection. We seem to have very similar tastes. There's a lot there that I have in my collection or on my wishlist. Except for most of the music and horror discs, I'd be very happy to own your collection.

If you're curious, here's my list to compare against: My Collection.

11. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

12. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Screenwriter

A good collection overall! I'd junk the Smith titles and replace them with some really great DVDs that should be on any DVD list:

Superman: The Movie SE
    Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace
    Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones
    9/11 (the Gaudet brothers' documentary)
    The Abyss SE
    Metropolis (restored 1927 version)
    Metropolis (2002 anime)
    Akira - Pioneer SE
    A Hard Day's Night SE
    Legend - Ultimate Edition
    Das Boot: The Director's Cut
    Shrek SE
    Ice Age SE
    Jonah: A Veggie Tales Movie
    The Ten Commandments SE

13. MichaelPR

MichaelPR Second Unit

Hey guys once again thank you for the input! Yeah the Smith titles I really used to enjoy but now that I'm out of college I just dont really get them anymore. I used to have clerks, dogma, and jay and silent bob but got rid of those...I think i'm ready to get rid of mallrats and I'll hang out to the chasing amy which is in my mind his best. I am very interested in picking up naked lunch. I have been reading about it but I want to know more before I pick it up. I have really really enjoyed every other Criterion I have picked up. I usually pick them up sight unseen after seeing the recomendations on this board. They really put out a great product. I really want to pick up Citizen Kane and Metropolis also! What are some other Criterions you might recomend after seeing what I have in my collection so far?

14. NeilK

NeilK Stunt Coordinator

See if you can still find Criterion's "Hitchcock: Wrong Men Notorious Women", it's got three out of print titles (Rebecca, Spellbound, Notorious) plus The 39 Steps and The Lady Vanishes. The boxed set is also out of print, but this recently occured, therefore you should all look hard for it becuase unlike other dvd's, this may be worth something (financially) some day. Just look at Salo, Dead Ringers or Playime... big bucks. [​IMG]

15. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Given your other purchases, I think this is a must buy! The end of the 3rd movie is incredible...

It seems that you have a few war movies. I would strongly recommend Patton and Tora, Tora, Tora as future additions.

You might consider some of the large 'epic' movies like Spartacus (Criterion) or Ben-Hur.

16. WillKTaylor

WillKTaylor Stunt Coordinator

Since Sci Fi is right up your alley ...

Final Fantasy
    Ghost in the Shell
    Titan AE (good for kids too)
    Pitch Black

Others ...

City of Lost Children
    Returner

any Kurosawa

17. NeilK

NeilK Stunt Coordinator

Final Fantasy? Titan A.E.?!?

18. ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA Screenwriter

Nice choices Will!
    Only one I haven't seen is Ghost in the Shell.
    And obviously I'll back you up on those good to excellent films, some flawed, all fun![​IMG]

19. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

My personal opinion of Criterion's Samurai trilogy: The transfer has been taken from prints so scratched that it appears to be raining heavily during most of the films. I would seriosuly consider waiting until a new restored transfer is complete.

As for your collection: Excellent, except you are missing The(original)Vanishing (Possibly the best ending ever in a suspense movie), Brotherhood Of The Wolf (aka. Le Pacte Des Loups), Conan: the Barbarian (greatest film ever IMHO), Robocop (2nd greatest film ever IMHO) and Nekromantik.

Of course you don't have to enjoy Nekromantik. You just need it on your shelf to inspire conversation and to experience the cinemtaic trauma of a low-budget, german, necrophile movie just so you can die happy knowing you've watched a movie 99% of the population will never see, nor be able to stomach (The Passion Of The Christ, Bah! childsplay). Wear the screening of Nekromantik on your sleeve like a badge of honor, you'll have earned it.[​IMG]

20. Lars Vermundsberget

Lars Vermundsberget Supporting Actor

Not a bad collection, I guess, but...

I have a ("modest" by HTF standards) DVD collection of a similar size, but there are only about ten overlaps between my collection and Michael's. Have a look at my list and you'll see that I think Michael needs more (old) classics. [​IMG]

http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.ht...vermundsberget[/url]

I may be a bit strange, but based on my dvdaf listing it seems my general rule of thumb is to buy movies older than myself (I'm almost 30).

Michael also seems interested in getting more Criterions. Almost all of my ~90 Criterions have been "blind buys" only based on what I've read. That strategy has worked out fine. I think all of mine deserve recommendation, except three or four...