What's new

Just want to make sure I got the right thing: HUB for T1 Internet sharing (1 Viewer)

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Can anyone tell me if I purchased the right thing:
I want to share my T1 Internet access on 2 seperate computers in different rooms.
I think I got the right thing (HUB) - but don't want to open it up (break the seal) in case I made a mistake.
Should I have gone w/ a ROUTER vs. HUB? Not really sure of the difference between the two or what I need.
Here is what I purchased:
Linksys 10/100 5 Port Workgroup HUB
http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=24&prid=148
Thanks for any help - I'm not very good with NETWORKS I guess - never been exposed to any before now.
Both my computers have NIC cards - and I have enough CAT 5 cable to connect them both to the HUB - I just hope it's the HUB that I needed.
Mike

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
How do you get your network connection? Is it run to a specific device? Or do you just have a Cat5 network cable? You're probably assigned only one IP address... you'll need a second IP address from your provider to have both of the computers on the network using the hub.

If you can't get a second IP address, or want some firewall protection, I suggest getting a cable-modem/dsl router. It'll work fine for you.

I recommend Netgear and Linksys products.

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Don

I live in an apartment and it has (1) Internet port (plug-in) that comes into the computer room. I have no idea if I'm only assigned 1 IP address.

So - I guess it's a ROUTER I need and not a HUB?

Thanks for the help

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Looks like I'll have to take the HUB back an get a ROUTER instead:
Is this right? Or will I need to keep the HUB to use w/ the ROUTER?
Here is what I think I'll get:
http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=23&prid=20
OR
I may end up just calling my servicing Internet company - and have them come out and add another outlet in my apartment - the paper I have says I will need a HUB (I think maybe they meant a Router) or I can buy one from them for $50.00 and then pay $25.00 extra for the 2nd outlet.
Thanks for any help - I guess I have some homework to do here.

Mike Sogge

Stunt Coordinator
Are you sure you have a T1?

Not many people can afford the monthly fee such a hefty connection has.

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
From his description, I'd assume his apartment building has a T1, and he has a drop.

What you do with the cable/dsl router is plug it into the wall, give it the IP address information that you'd be given, then tell all the computers plugged into the unit to use DHCP, or you can hardcode them, to use IT as gateway, dns, etc etc, and it'll translate to the rest of the network. Bonus being at that point you've got a firewall of sorts.

James Zubb

Stunt Coordinator
There is a possibility that you can use the hub depending on how your internet service is configured. Since it sounds like your entire apartment building is getting service I would assume that there is already a firewall and router setup for the whole building.

Unless they are limiting to 1 IP for each drop then your hub should work fine. You should ask your ISP if you actually need a hub or a router.

If you do need the router then what you posted would be fine by itself, you don't need another hub with that unless you have more than 4 systems.

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Hello
I returned the HUB today - I tried it out last night and couldn't get anything to work at all - one computer or two!
It is a T1 Internet Connection - the price is figured in w/ the monthly rent - along w/ the phone (.07 cents per min. long-distance) and cable.
I have a flyer from the company that manages the service here in my apartments:
Paladin Communications
Add Network Hub (4 port) $50.00
Configure additional Computer $35.00
Additional outlet for Internet $25.00
Configure single Internet outlet at location other than computer desk (where the "drop" is) $25.00
I haven't been in contact w/ them yet - I will call them tomorrow and find out what I need to do - or see what they can do for me. I'm doing this not only to have my 2 computers networked - but to be able to place my recently built HTPC in my living room.
Thanks for all the help guys - I'll let you know what they say when I get in contact w/ them tomorrow.
Mike

Gary King

Second Unit
Getting a hub to work isn't that difficult, but you need to know quite a bit more to set it up than you do for a router.

For a hub, the incoming net connection goes into PC #1. PC #1 also has a second network card, configured for a reserved IP address (typically 192.168.1.1). This connects to the hub.

PC #2 has a network card configured in the same reserved space (e.g., 192.168.1.2), and also connects to the hub.

PC #1 then runs some proxy/NAT software, such as WinGate 4.4.2.

How you configure PC #2 from that point depends on which proxy software you choose. Most include fairly easily followed directions (WinGate is a breeze, if you use the Extended Networking plug-in).

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
My cousin has the same setup in his apartment. Shared T1 in using DHCP. What you need is a network router. I recommend the SMC Barricade (SMC7004BR). It's 4-port and all you need to do is plug the cat5 cable into the router uplink port and then run cat5 from your computers to the router.

I only recommend the SMC because I've had experience with most of the routers from SMC, Linksys and Netgear at workk and at home and I like it the best. Plus, the latest version of their firmware (which is available on their website) has been stable for months. Everyone I know prefers it.

Most routers also provide firewall protection, which will block hockers.

Your hub didn't work because it doesn't know what to do with the IP address coming in. And running the connection through a computer with two network cards before getting to the hub is much more of a pain in the butt to get working.

If the T1 uses DHCP, with a router, you just plug everything in, turn the router on, turn the computers on and you are all set.

If it's not DHCP and they gave you a static IP address, they also gave you networking configuration information, which you will need to set in the router, and then set your computer's networking back to DHCP. If they didn't mess with network setting in your computer when they first connected you, then the T1 IP is definitely distributed using DHCP.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks