Just upgraded to a Parasound HCA-855a

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt_R, Jan 16, 2002.

1. Matt_R

Matt_R Stunt Coordinator

I just bought a Parasound HCA-855a from my local dealer. WHAT AN UPGRADE! I am using my Denon 2801 as the pre-amp for now, until I can save up some funds for something new (Any suggestions?)

I LOVE the extra dynamics, headroom and fullness to the sound!

I have a question -- On the back of the amp, there is a gain knob for each channel... where should these be positioned? Should I adjust the gain on the amp or the Denon now when I calibrate it? I haven't had the chance because my friend has yet to return my SPL meeter. I'm getting it back today.

Thanks again for the help

2. Tony Lai

Tony Lai Stunt Coordinator

>I LOVE the extra dynamics, headroom and fullness to the sound!

You do realise that the Denon has more power on paper :-P

>I have a question -- On the back of the amp, there is a gain knob for each channel... where should these be positioned?

Channel gain knobs should be at max. That's what the manual recommends. I use a Parasound HCA-1206...

>Should I adjust the gain on the amp or the Denon now when I calibrate it? I haven't had the chance because my friend has yet to return my SPL meeter. I'm getting it back today.

The amp is a 'dumb' device. All adjustments should be on the preamp/receiver.

T.

3. Matt_R

Matt_R Stunt Coordinator

> You do realise that the Denon has more power on paper :-P

Well, *on paper* yes, a whopping 5 watts/channel more. However, the AMP sounds MUCH better than the AMP in the Denon. Night and day difference with my setup...

Thanks for the info about the gains.

Matt

4. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter