1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Just upgraded to a Denon DVD-2900, should I also upgrade my analog cables?

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by John Pine, Jan 4, 2004.

1. John Pine

John Pine Supporting Actor

John Pine
    I have been running (6) Monster Cable I300MKII 1m cables. They are connected to my Harmon Kardon AVR-525. Would I be able to tell much of a difference by upgrading to a Better Cables 8001RR Silver Serpent or BTAIP-1-BP Blue Truth Audio Cable? Any suggestions?

setup:

Toshiba 35" TV (s-video)
    Harman/Kardon AVR 525
    Denon DVD-2900
    JBL S310-II's
    JBL S-Center II
    JBL S36-II's(rears)
    Velodyne CHT-12(sub)
    23'x18'x14'(LxWxH)room

2. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

You should be working on a display upgrade, you are wasting that 2900. Just a suggestion. [​IMG]

3. JohnMW

JohnMW Second Unit

The cables you have are probably fine. However bettercables has a no-hassle return policy so you can do your own a/b test.

4. Craig Rup

Craig Rup Extra

Yes, upgrade that display save your money and invest in HDTV.

5. John Pine

John Pine Supporting Actor

John Pine
    Thanks for the feedback guys!

__________________________________________________ __________

James: I assure you, "audio-wise" I am not wasting my new 2900. The upgrade was mainly for audio purposes as I mostly listen to music. I guess it’s about a 70/30 percentage. I’m just starting my DVD-A and SACD collection. The sound I'm getting, even from my modest setup is “stunning” in the best case scenario and “great” in the worst case! So far I only have about 10 titles total. I'm now in the process of digging out CD's and concert DVD's I haven't listened to for years. So far I have found the 2900 adds a depth and warmth to most, but not all of my old recordings. It’s very exciting, and the 2900 was worth every penny.

“Video-wise”, you are right, I am wasting the capabilities of the 2900. But, with my poor eyesight and inability to wear or find my glasses most of the time (while watching a movie) it’s kinda’ a moot point.
    __________________________________________________ __________

A new display is not in the budget at this time, but the point is well taken!

So, the census is “Audio-wise”, the Monster Cable I300MKII cables are probably getting the most I can out of the equipment I have, right?

6. JamesGL

JamesGL Stunt Coordinator

Buy a TV, expensive cables are overrated IMO.