Just upgraded my rear speakers and got a dts reciever. Need suggestions...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by todd s, Jun 27, 2002.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I had a 5.1 dolby digital receiver. I just upgraded to a reciever that does both dolby 5.1 & DTS. I also upgraded my rear speakers. Just curious what people think is a good dvd to get the good DTS experience and what would really give the rears a work out? One good one I have found for the rear speakers is the Patriot. The scene where Mel ambushes the caravan holding his son.
    Thanks!

2. Doug_H

Doug_H Supporting Actor

Gotta toss Saving Private Ryan in the ring... works out every speaker and has incredible sound.

3. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Check out "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" and "Diana Krall: Live in Paris".

4. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

Fight Club and Fast and the Furious both have highly agressive surround mixes.

5. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Corrected DTS version of Jurassic Park (new DTS pressings have a red outlined specs. box on the back cover).
    Still not quite as powerful as the DTS LD of yore, but a lot better than the Dolby Digital version. You might have neighbors pounding on your door with pitch forks and torches in hand! [​IMG]
    Remixed DTS-ES version of The Haunting. Still the top dawg of bass, bass, and more bass. Even The Phantom Menace doesn't go as loud and low.
    U-571
    Titan A.E.
    Born of the Fourth of July DTS version (crappy picture quality like all versions of this film so far on DVD, but the full bitrate DTS track soars and John Williams' music comes through with grace!)
    Dances With Wolves two-disc DTS set (OOP, but check Best Buy as they have been showing up there recently). Full bitrate video and audio.
    Fantasia 2000
    Fast and the Furious (dumb movie, but the DTS track rocks the house).
    The Patriot SuperBit Deluxe
    The Mask of Zorro SuperBit
    That ought to get you started.
    Dan

6. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    There are lots to choose from. If you liked Planet Of The Apes (new version) then that has a killer soundtrack. Others that are on my top list are Titan AE, Gladiator, Jurassic Park trilogy, The Phantom Menace (non dts but great soundtrack), and The Fifth Element.

7. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

I like Saving Private Ryan and Se7en Platinum for surround effects, there really are mnay to chose, sound has gotton so good on the recent releases.

8. Ken Garrison

Ken Garrison Supporting Actor

PEARL HARBOR!!!!!

Even though I only have a Prologic sound system, them air planes were flying through the house.

9. Leon Liew

Leon Liew Stunt Coordinator

Ken, upgrade to 5.1 and them bombs and planes will 'rock'
    your house with a vengeance !!

10. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

I really enjoyed cranking up the opening war sequence in Gladiator when I got my receiver that did DTS-ES.

It was -very- impressive. I had a big stupid grin on my face.

11. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

I still like The Thin Red Line as DTS demo material.

12. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

If you're an Eagles fan (or even if you're not), Hell Freezes Over is a must-have for any DTS enthusiast. Simply amazing.

13. Ken Garrison

Ken Garrison Supporting Actor

I was at my Uncle's house last summer and he has a Pioneer DTS/Dolby 5.1 system with a Pioneer DVD player, 3 of those Bose Cube speakers in the front with the bass module, 2 KLH speakers in the back, and a 120 Watt Sony Subwoofer. We were watching Almost Famous in DTS and I was half asleep. Then it came the scene where they were in the airplane. All of a sudden. KaBOOM!!! Not just KaBOOM! It's, shake the whole house and scare the shit outta you, KaBOOM!! Yes, that was the scene when lightening struck. And I can hear the wind and rain all around me. Hey that was pretty cool. Yeah, DTS is pretty cool. I even compared the difference between it and Dolby 5.1 and DTS seems to sound a little cleaner and more separated.

14. Jenna

Jenna Second Unit

Dan,
    There's a SUPERBIT VERSION of "Mask of Zorro"????
    When and where???

15. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    A Bug's Life has one of the nicest surround fields in my collection of DVD's. Scenes worthy of mentioning are...
    - The arrival of the grasshoppers to the ant hill (near beginning)
    - Arrival to bug city (voices coming from discrete rear right for instance)
    - Escape from the bird
    - The rainstorm sequence

16. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Jenna:

The Mask of Zorro is in the next wave of SuperBit titles being released within a few months. I think it's supposed to be a SuperBit Deluxe with supplements on the 2nd disc.

Dan

17. Jenna

Jenna Second Unit

Well, looks like "The Mask of Zorro" will be a triple dipper for me. I've already purchased both releases. Well, it deserves a SuperBit treatment.
    Good thing I held off on "A Knight's Tale" - which is being released on SB in mid-August.
    Thanks for the info![​IMG]

18. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

Is a third release of "mask of zorro" really necessary?

19. Jonathan

Jonathan Second Unit

On my DD/DTS-ES system I usually use these disc to demo:
    Saving Private Ryan(DTS)-Opening beach scene Just make sure your guest can handle the gore before you play it
    Pearl Harbor VS- The battle scenes in the middle of the movie rival SPR for best sound. Once again make sure about the gore. If thats a problem use the regular version of Pearl Harbor.
    Haunting DTS- Crappy movie, but man do I love the incredible use of the surounds in this movie. Oh, and the bass is good in the movie too. [​IMG]
    Patriot Superbit- Just got this one and the battle scenes in it are most impressive.
    Eagles:Hell Freezes Over- If all else fails, use this disc. I have never had a guest whose jaw didn't drop during Hotel California. Get this disc!

20. James T

James T Screenwriter

I too upgraded my reciever to DTS and the first disc I tried out was Gladiator. Gladiator is amazing in DTS. Ever since I heard Gladiator on DTS, I've been flipping through my DVD collection looking for other DTS titles.
    Actually, now that I think of it, I'm off to try out the new Highlander disc...the DD was pretty good...curious now, how the DTS sounds like...