What's new

Just updated my website with my new LCD PJ (1 Viewer)

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
Thought I would try out an LCD projector for a while, So far so good, I just removed (sold) my NEC CRT projector and wanted something quieter and brighter.

Take a look!
Link Removed

Wes

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Wes:

Looking good. Ofcourse your HT has always been there anyway the FPTV just adds icing on your system.

Parker

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Very, very impressive Wes.

How do you like the 500? I am running the 200u for about a year now and love it. These little LCD machines put out a georgous image.

Owen Bartley

Second Unit
Wes, that's a really killer setup you have there.

I'm curious about the extra surrounds... what inspired you to add more? Do you find it is significantly better? I would be worried that from the back row, having surround material coming from in front of you might get distracting. Also, how did you wire it? I like the idea a lot, it gets closer to an actual theatre and if it works out right can probably eliminate some setup problems, I just have a few reservations. I'm sure yours sounds great though, judging by the quality of everything else in the room. Great work!

ok, I just looked a little deeper into your site and saw how you did the "envelop" channel and the surround backs. I remember reading an article (I think it might have been David Ranada in Stereo Review) about how you could do something like that, but he didn't have the additional centre/envelop channel I don't think... How are you running that one? Is it actually on the ceiling?

Sorry for so many questions and the long post, but I'm fascinated!

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
Parker, What PJ did you end up with? Still have not seen pics of your setup?

Neil, I was running a NEC PG9+ CRT @1024x768p(forDVD)for the last two years! Where you been?:)

Ron, So far I like it, there are trade off's compare to CRT but I am fairly pleased with the results. I'm sure I will trade up again in a couple years, I have traded every two years thus far and have gone from 7 to 8 and now 9' wide screen (part of my trade up strategy to the wife)! ;)

Wes

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
Owen, Ya I like to be different. I love the multiple side surrounds. When sitting on the rear row the L/R surrounds sounds are at the side, you hear what speakers are closest to you. So for all rows (including bean bags) the L/R surrounds are correctly placed.

I have a thread in the hardware section (I think) about the Envelope channel with my review and results. Do a search it's there somewheres. My overhead channel is located right behind my new PJ which is in between the first and second couch. I would really like to have two overhead speakers above each couch, perhaps in time!

Wes

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron

I bought my 200u for DVD use only, no HD. I figured two years from my purchase date HD-DVD should soon be on the market and at that point I will upgrade to a higher rez PJ. So, in about a year or so hopefully HD-DVD will be here and I can upgrade.

This was my first PJ (other then the X1) so I cannot compare it to a CRT FP. But, compared to my now sold-off Mits 46" RPTV, I am extremely pleased with the picture.

Charles

Agent
Wes, I am building my theater now and I am considering a 9' screen, I too like a big picture but how far away do you think first row should be (I have about 12.5 feet for first row)? And how big diagonally is your screen?

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
I am running a 16:9 screen which is 124 Dia. My front row is at around 13ft back and I love sitting there so you will be fine as long as the PJ is of good enough quality.

Wes

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
That's what's great about the Panny 500 is that at around 4' the screen door is gone! That is one of the reasons I made the move from CRT.

Ron,

My 200u that I bought on your recommendation works very well with my OTA HD receiver. I am sure that moving to the 500 would look better, but truly, the increased sharpness of HD is stunning even though the PJ has to scale it a little. Wes came over and took a look. Helped me get my receiver properly set up. He pointed out the SDE he could see on my setup. I will admit it is there, but using the slight defocus trick masks it pretty well.

When the bulb begins to dim on the 200, I am thinking the 500 will be a logical step up.

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
Hay Chris, you need to swing by sometime and take a look at the new PJ! You know I am not as impressed with the HD as I was with the CRT or as I thought I would be!

Wes

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Good to know Chris. My front row is 9' from my 80" 2.35:1 screen and I cannot see SDE at all. I must be within 5' to see it. I also do the slight defocus to hide it. I'm sure the smooth screen tech works well but when I bought my 200u the extra $800 or so for the 300u I could not justify.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Wes:

I wish you would get the Infocus 4805 and put it up in your HT to see how it compares. You can always send the projector back for a refund but it would be great to know how this new FPTV from infocus holds up against an LCD projector with the quality of the Pani L500.

Also, how are you moving the curtains around to control the aspect ratio? It would be cool is you putting up about this on your site.

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
We are trying to arrange a Utah meet in which one of the members will be bringing a 4805 and the new Hitachi 100 to compare against my panny! hopefully within a month we can pull it off.

Look on my second page of construction I have a drawing and description of my curtins. To be honest though I really do not adjust them too much. Being manual My kids and wife would have to adjust them back out from 2.35:1 if I forgot and left them there. With the new LCD PJ the black bars are not as black as it was with the CRT PJ so I have adjusted them in a few times since the new install to create better contrast.
_______

Looks like while cleaning house adding new pics to my web site I accidentally deleted my Masking image. Ooops!
The description is still there, when I get some time I will redraw it.

Wes

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I look forward to the shoot out and your report of it.

I will also take a look at the masking image when you get it back up on the page.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks