What's new

JUST unpacked my new SVS 20-39 Pci (meaningless post) (1 Viewer)

Brian Elwood

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry for a meaningless post but . . .

THE THING IS HUGE!! Yea - I had a tape measure out and I know how tall 39 inch's is. But a tape measure and a 17 inch thing 40 inch tall monolith is something else.

Remember the scene in 2001 Space Odessey wit hither monkeys touching the monolith? THAT WAS ME!! LOL

Well - running to the store to get cable.

IT'S CHRISTMAS!!!

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
It's huge, but you gotta admit.....it looks cool as hell, man lol.....I love how those cylinders look :) And everyone who comes over is like, "what the hell is THAT???" :)

Brian Elwood

Stunt Coordinator
WIFE's FIRST IMPRESSION!!

Comment #1

"WOW WE ALMOST NEED A BIGGER SCREEN NOW!"

I then put in Jurassic Park III

HOLY CRAP - THAT's AWESOME

I then put in one of her fav's 'Six Days Seven Nights' the plane crash scene and her mouth was actually open

THAT IS BETTER THEN IN THE THEATER

And finally she went up to it and we shined the flash light in to the top and she knelt touching the felt and purred like a kitten.

I think she likes it!!

:D :D

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Brian:

I feel so much better now that you have an SVS in your house! I'm sorry, but that money just would not have been as well spent at the stereo shop :)

My favorite "jaw hits the floor" demo scene is in 'The Haunting'.....I think the scene is called "creaking pipes" or something like that. The whole disc has killer bass, but that scene in particular is quite impressive.

Congrats on the sub! I bet ya don't send it back! :emoji_thumbsup:

Blkout

Agent
Got mine today too, GF thought it was ugly, said it looked like a water heater, but after listening to it for a while she's "warming" up to it......no pun intended. :D What's really funny is that I had the sub turned way up just for showing off, then I calibrated it to reference levels, 75-85dB, she listened to it and said she liked it better the other way, when she could feel it more. I called her a basshead and turned it back up some to appease her. :D

Just my luck I'll probably come home from work tomorrow and find the sub laying down on the floor while she's straddling it and playing test tones. :D

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

A common malady among newbies. Ramp the bass down a little at a time until you hit proper calibration levels. She'll get used to it and then won't anything running too hot.

Running a little hot for HT is fine, IMO. Running hot for music is a sin. My sub level for music is about 3-4 dB lower for music than HT. Proper calibratiopn for music makes a HUGE difference in the perceived quality of the bass and overall presentation of the music.

Hank_P

Second Unit
Brian, this is not a "meaningless post". It is great that you are sharing your enthusiasm with fellow members, that understand that feeling of joy when a new "toy" arrives. I was the same way when I received my 20-39 PCi. Glad you are enjoying Brian, you hava A LOT of movies to watch all over again and enjoy many sounds that you just wouldn't believe were there.

Congrats Brian and enjoy*

*note, calibrations are required before any enjoying is to be had :D

Romar Armas

Second Unit
Congrats on the purchase! I live in Canada so I have been holding off on purchasing an SVS due to shipping and customs. However, someone from Toronto was selling a 16-46 CSi so I jumped right on it. I picked it up on Tuesday and my wife's reaction was "OMG! THAT'S HUGE!!" :D

Last night, I put in Toy Story 2 then told her "My old sub never did this!". She agreed with me and said "Now its just like a movie theatre!". I think she's starting to like it.

Brian Elwood

Stunt Coordinator
Hank_P - I've calibrated it (have a question in a post coming up about that).

My wife said after watching a little of a movie that now we have to watch all the DVD's over again "it's like I've never seen the movie before".

Another nice thing is with Dish Network we are always in 5.1 mode and it makes TV much better also. SWEET.

Blkout

Agent
Edward, I certainly agree, I liked it calibrated better just slightly above reference level for music, maybe 2-3dB, movies are a different story, I like about 5-6dB above reference but you are correct, running that hot for movies makes music sound like poopoo!:thumbsdown:

Brian.....After reading your wife's reactions, wanna swap?
It seems to be the thing with these reality shows and all. My name is also Brian so no problems there either.

Think about it.:D

Congrats.

Brian Elwood

Stunt Coordinator
As long as I keep making the right decisions I'm OK - I even got a DVR (like TiVo) an she thought it was another toy. NOW she can not see how we lived without it.

New Surround speakers MIGHT be a tough sell though, I'll be do a ton of research before I dive into those.

I can't WAIT to get home and boot up that puppy!! I have to do a walk "around the house to here what the neighborer's are hearing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks