What's new

Just Turned-on NEW RPTV: V-shape color distortion? (1 Viewer)

DaleI

Stunt Coordinator
I just got the Hitachi 57s500, just got hdtv installed today, and turned on the set, turned down the contrast and brightness to acceptable levels. That's it.

When standing and looking at the top center of the screen, there is (and this is going to be hard to describe) what looks like a distortion in colors in the shape of a five to six inch V-shape, clearly visable if there's a bright background on the screen. At first I thought it was coming from a light or something in the room, so I put my hand over this V-shape and no, it isn't a reflection or shadow. But it looks as if it is. When I sit down and watch the set, you don't notice it.

Any clues how to get rid of it?

Brent Smith

Agent
Hi Dale,

Do you have anything "heavy" sitting on the top of the set that could be bowing the screen either inwards or outwards slightly... also is the "V" shape distorting the image at all (pinching or otherwise) or just adding the rainbow effect to the picture?

Have a good day,

C. Brent Smith

DaleI

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

No, nothing is on the top of the set at all.
The image isn't being distorted in any way. It just produces a rainbow V-effect that's only discernable when standing in front of the set. You'd swear it was a shadow or glare from something in the room, but that's not the case.

Help needed, please--

:frowning:

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
You don't see it from sitting position but only when standing right in front of the set, correct? This is normal, every one of the 3 rptvs I've had has done the exact same thing.

You don't normally watch movies while standing that close to the set, do you?

DaleI

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the replies. No, I usually don't stand to watch the set (and you don't have to stand very close to notice it) but when the Comcast guy phoned-in to homebase to activate my set-top box, imagine my reaction when he said: "Is this a display model?"
"No, why do you ask?"
And then he showed me the bending V-effect and admitted to me that it could be how RPTVs are; he wasn't an expert in that area.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks