What's new

just turned 18, what can I do? (1 Viewer)

KyleS

Screenwriter
Besides Voting (an important right) the second best thing that you can do is get signed up immediately for selective services. Its the law and not hard to do. Then after that be damn careful. Everything you do, you are financially responsible for. As stated above in most states it is illegal to have a relationship with someone that is younger then you. If they cry foul you could go to jail or face getting a felony (Depends on the state). Basically you are responsible for yourself from a legal standpoint where before it was much more your parents. Keep your nose clean and if you have not started work on building your credit up as soon as possible. You would be amazed to see how many people will not have credit even when they are 21 because they never used any. Of course you dont want to sign up for a ton of credit cards and then get yourself in a hole but a little at a time.

KyleS

PS Congrats on the 18th Birthday.

Mike Hutman

Supporting Actor
You can go to Jail. No more ,I'm just a kid, for you.:) So what ever you do, don't get caught. The courts will be tougher on you, And Mom and Dad won't be able to help you out.

I also think you can run for Mayor of your town if you want?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
You HAVE to sign up for selective services? How long has this requirement been in place? And what happens if you don't sign up?
They can put you in jail and fine you until you do. See, "selective" means they select who's going to serve. It's what replaced the draft. Same institution w/o active induction

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
The day I turned 18, I walked into a gas station, bought a pack of smokes, a lottery ticket and a penthouse magazine. I gave the smokes to a smoker friend, lost on the lottery tocket, and think the penthouse is in a box somewhere.
That sounds familiar..

'Cept I bought a Hustler at a small mom and pop bookstore. I bought my friend a can of dip.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Man, what a difference! In Canada, the Armed Forces had to resort to offering bonuses in the $25,000 range to get people to sign up!
Oh yes, they do that hear too.. the Army/Air Force/others will offer full student loan abatement to $30,000 or a payoff of up to $25,000.

But selective service doesn't put you in the military.. at all. It says, basically, in a worse case scenario, you could be "selected" (read, keyword for the same thing as "drafted") to serve a war cause.

This has not been invoked, but all males have to sign up ;)

Chris Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Don't forget that your signature is now legally binding. Any contract you sign and break can land out in a LOT of trouble.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Yup, my brother got $10,000 to join the Navy, and if he reups for another 2 years after his 6 are up, $30,000

Because it'd cost more to train his replacement

Win Joy Jr

Stunt Coordinator
You HAVE to sign up for selective services? How long has this requirement been in place? And what happens if you don't sign up?
Land in jail...
Lose the ability to hold a security clearance...
Lose the ability to get Financial Aid in college...
Get a job with the federal government...
Lose the ability to get an FHA backed mortgage...
Lose the ability to work for a company that contracts out to the Federal Governments...
Lose the ability to collect Unemployment...

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Don't forget that your signature is now legally binding. Any contract you sign and break can land out in a LOT of trouble.
Yep. You can now legally enter into a contract.

And you can sue. And be sued.

On the bright side, you can have sex. But as was already mentioned, if you have sex with someone who is 17, and someone turns you in (say, her father), you can go to jail for statutory rape. Even if her 18th birthday is tomorrow.

Buddy of mine almost found this out the hard way. His girlfriend was 16. He was 17. He turned 18, then got caught having sex with her in his car at a local park. Oops. They were all set and ready to haul him off to jail. Thankfully for him, his girlfriend - embarassed at having been caught in the act - made a huge scene. Swore like a sailer at the officers and just wouldn't shut her mouth. He began arguing with her, telling her to shut up, etc. She became louder and increased her insults towards the officers. He gave up and begged the officers "Can you take her to jail? Please?"

They were so amused they let the both of them go. That was also the end of their relationship. :)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
But as was already mentioned, if you have sex with someone who is 17, and someone turns you in (say, her father), you can go to jail for statutory rape. Even if her 18th birthday is tomorrow.
Actually it's not that simple, at least not in every state. I read an article on this recently. There is some kind of formula that takes into account actual ages AND age difference. Additionally, the age of consent is 16 in about half the states. So worry not my friend, screw away :D.

--
Holadem

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
I didn't know one couldn't have sex before 18!

I think he is saying that I can have sex without infuriating my parent's because I'm now classified as legal age and it is my own choice. The only way it is a problem is if it is with a minor, which of course would symbolize I have a social problem and have been spending to much time at HTF:D

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
There is some kind of formula that takes into account actual ages AND age difference.
You're right, but it depends on the state. Some are strict on the 18 line. Others give you something like 2 or 3 years difference (so if you're 18, your partner can be 15-16. If you're 20, your partner can be 17-18. If you're 21, anybody under the age of 18 is off limits.) Still, the laws vary, and when I was 18 I was sure to not screw around with anyone under that age.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks