Just thought I'd share an awesome song for demoing headphones.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AaronNWilson, Sep 8, 2002.

1. AaronNWilson

AaronNWilson Second Unit

U2 - In God's Country

I was in good guys listening to sennheiser headphones and I brought along my Sony MDR V600s for comparison. Well when listening to this song the Sennheiser HD 580s sounded unbelieveably AWESOME compared to my sonys. The sonys sounded so flat in comparison to the HD580s I almost cried.

The 580s were going to be $275 US in goodguys but I was very happy when I found out they could be had for $129 new on ebay.

2. Javier_Huerta

Javier_Huerta Supporting Actor

If you don't get a *serious* headphone amp for those Sennheisers, you'll never listen to what they are capable of doing.

3. AaronNWilson

AaronNWilson Second Unit

Javier I was thinking about buying one of the Tube Amps off ebay, but I really don't know anything about headphone amps.

What do you recommend?

4. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

If you're interested in a tube amp, the Antique Sound Labs MG Head OTL sounds great with the HD580 and HD600 headphones. It's an all tube headphone amp that runs around $300. I have one and I love it.

5. AaronD

AaronD Stunt Coordinator

What about solid state for headphone amps? Any recommendations? I've got a pair of 580's and I know they're capable of much more than the headphone amp on my receiver is capable of (HK AVR310).
    I don't mean to hi-jack the thread.. [​IMG] I've just been curious and haven't had the time to research. Maybe in the $100-$150 price range?
    -Aaron

6. Javier_Huerta

Javier_Huerta Supporting Actor

Well, the MG Head would be the way to go with a set of Sennheisers. You could try a hybrid amp, such as the X-CanV2, which has a pair of tubes for the preamp input and transistors on the output stage. This combo (X-CanV2 + Senn580s) is the best possible one for that particular amp, since it "cures" somewhat the "dark" sound of the Sennheisers and adds a lot of dynamic punch (it shoud have, the X-Cans can put a whopping 1 watt RMS!).
    You can also get a Creek OBH-11 with upgraded power supply from Audio Advisor. It "only" puts out 300 mW, but it has the added bonus that it will sound great with lots of other headphones (the X-Cans sound kinda aggressive when used with brighter headphones, such as Grados).
    If you want to try a nice solid state amp, visit www.headphone.com. Their amps, starting one level above the Total Airhead are very well built, sound terrific, and they will be more than glad to recommend a specific one for the Sennheisers.
    Hope this helps!

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Another song: River of Deceit by Mad Season. The album was recorded with a "360 degree" microphone, which simulates a human head/ears. Very interesting album with headphones.

8. John H

John H Second Unit