Just starting

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Ken Ihlo, Sep 24, 2004.

1. Ken Ihlo

Ken Ihlo Auditioning

I've spent a lot of time reviewing information on the forum. Hopefully this inquiry does not tax the patience of others.

We're building a new home and having it wired for 7.1.
    6.1 was standard, they'll do 7.1 for no additional charge so what-the-hey! We'll install 6.1 setup for now.

The basic component list I've come up with is:
    Speakers
    A/V receiver
    calibration gear
    Wiring / connectors, etc.

Expect to spend 2/3 on speakers 1/3 on the rest.
    Sound like a good plan?

I'm confused as to where pre-amps and amplifiers come into play. I'm thinking the A/V receiver will perform these functions until I can tell the difference with better equipment, correct?

Does the forum believe purchasing from sponsored vendors provides a better overall quality experience (product, service, price)?

Thanks in advance!

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Welcome to the Forum, Ken!

That’s probably most accurate with the companies that are manufacturer-direct – i.e., mail-order only with no retail dealers. Naturally cutting out the middleman gets you more for your money.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Ken Ihlo

Ken Ihlo Auditioning

Thanks for the response, Wayne.
    The TV/Monitor would be a separate cost, I was thinking sound only.

4. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

i wouldn't necessarily limit yourself to any set "formula" like that, just yet

5. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

For a sound system, speakers are the place to start. Purchase (or decide on) those first and then you won't make the mistake of not having the right equipment to drive them. The rest will just fall into place

Mort

6. Darren Mortensen

Darren Mortensen Stunt Coordinator

What, may I ask, is your total HT budget? Is this for a dedicated theater?

7. Ken Ihlo

Ken Ihlo Auditioning

No set budget yet, Darren.
    We're not "first adopters" and don't need the latest/greatest.

The setup will be in our new house in Fl next year.
    Based on recent events we'll be investing in hurricane shutters first! Expect this to be a significent investment!

If we were buying today I would consider the Axiom Epic Grand Master 5.1 speakers and the Outlaw 1050 A/V receiver.
    That would be around $2,000 +. The Outlaw would give us the ability to expand to 6.1 whenever. The TV/Monitor would be a real challenge. We'd probably see what we could get for $2,000 - $3,000.

Will be monitoring the forum for all the great information!

The house will have two areas pre-wired for 7.1 so we'll have the stage set!

8. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

The Outlaw 1050 is a fine unit, but it is no longer avaliable as a new item. Outlaw will have a replacement receiver model out at some point, but its not ready yet.

If this is a new construction house, I would seriously consider incorperating an infinite baffel subwoofer into the construction plan.

9. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I think you're on the right track, and while I am also a big fan of getting the best speakers possible, make sure specifically that some of that "the rest" budget is some thought into achieving proper room acoustics. Next to (and some would argue it's #1) speakers, IMO room acoustics plays the biggest role in the sound quality, and even though you can study it and do it DIY for very cheap, it is unfortunately often overlooked. Having a little pro help doesn't have to cost a fortune either, but can give you some basic pointers on what you should do if you need that (hint, the forums can be a great resource if you're pressed for cash for hiring an acoustician).

The room is a big part of audio, AND video performance, so a little bit of thought here and future proofing goes a long way. Wire is cheap, extra outlets are cheap, circuits, etc, and a LOT easier than having to brake things open to fish more stuff later on in the future.

10. PeterK

PeterK Supporting Actor

what is an infinate baffle subwoofer?

11. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

The following definition was stolen from the IB FAQ website (see link)

an Infinite Baffle is a alignment where the drivers are free-air mounted, in a space adjacent the listening room. The drivers fire into the listening area through a common opening between the two areas. This can be the attic, basement, crawl space, or a room that shares a common wall with the listening area.

Why do this ? 1) Good clean bass. 2) no WAF hastle with an ugly cabinet cause there is no cabinet 3) Cheap.

All about infinite baffel